PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Malta

dramaminedragon
07-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Planning a first time visit to Malta in 7/08. :confused: Plan to stay two weeks, and get in about a dozen dives. Will bring all gear except tanks & weights. Any advice on sites, dive shops or trips is appreciated.

Larry

Purpleturtle
07-07-2007, 07:18 PM
First part of your plan should be to go to Egypt instead. Much better diving than the Med. Here is my second reason for not going to Malta. My other hobby apart from diving.

http://twitchwithmitch.blogspot.com/2007/05/having-read-this-shocking-story-in-news.html

acelockco
07-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, intresting read. It must be said that no matter where you plan to travel and even if you plan to stay home there are always going to be things about a country that you disagree with. Look at America, the country where I live...they are USUALLY (read: always) doing things I don't agree with but that is the way of the world. If they (the government) knew what I really felt and thought, they would probablly have had me in jail a long time ago.

Hopefully this will all get taken care of in court and the hunting will stop, but I don't think it would stop me from going there on vacation.

Now talk about bad, did you know that Egypt's government used dirty needles to treat their people for bilharzia which then spread hepatitis C to most of their country! Now they have the worst hepatitis C crisis in the world. Now we are talking about peoples lives not birds.:(

acelockco
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
oops, I was refering to an article I read about Egypt and the hep c thing. here is the link:

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2003/06/02/hep_c/index.html

Purpleturtle
07-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah but smaller countries, like Malta, really do "feel the pinch" if the tourist dollar is taken away. Thus the Eco-tourist (divers and otherwise) can have a powerful vote (and hopefully affect change).

Like Iceland has recently re-started whaling again, but the whaling ships and the whale-watching trips leave from the same pier!!!!!

Wildlife lovers can vote with their feet!

dramaminedragon
07-08-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm going to hunt things that swim. :D

acelockco
07-08-2007, 04:21 AM
I think there are some hunters in Malta that swim.....LOL;)

Purpleturtle
07-08-2007, 08:19 AM
yet again I've made the assumption that most divers are wildlife lovers. Most divers on this forum seem to dive a for different reason. I'm sure the Maltese will greet a fellow killer:(