PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream dive destination?

Sarah
07-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Thought I would open this conversation so we can all dream a little! It might be interesting to hear where everyone would like to go if they had the choice to go anywhere.

What is the dive destination you want to go to the most, and why?

Zero
07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Anywhere at the moment. Ive been out of the water for a month and im getting too dried up. The weather down heres been shocking and weve had a lot of the much needed rain thats been long overdue. Unfortunately the runoff from it has turned the water a murky shade of chocolate so going to the pub has been a better option lately.

Matt

acelockco
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Anywhere there is water is good for me! I am willing to try diving just about anywhere.

My dream destination would have to include a dive boat and a dive shop on the water somewhere. With my living space upstairs so I could eat, breathe, and s**t diving.

Sarah
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Ace, just don't try to excrete a lionfish or a stonefish. ;)

I think my dream dive destination would be Papua New Guinea or maybe Bali.

dalehall
07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Palau is at the top of my list right now. Just because of all the videos and pictures I've seen from there. It seems amazing...

Zero
07-07-2007, 01:51 AM
My dreams were a bit better last night and the 2 places i narrowed it down to are Bikini Atoll and the Marshall Islands in general or Antarctica. One you have mankind at his worst with all the destruction (and some great wrecks) then you have pretty much the exact opposite with one of the last untouched wilderness areas. Im not one for extremely cold temperatures but i think that would be a worthwhile sacrifice to make just to get down there and have a look. Having only seen snow 3 times in my life it would sure be different as well.

Matt

acelockco
07-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Wow Zero,

Only have seen snow 3 times? When I first saw your avitar and photos on myspace, my impression of you was that you were made for snow. It must be the vast amount of facial hair, you know for protection from the snow.

Anyway, if you can take the cold so can I, so you have a dive buddy if you do ever get up there. I am sure we would need some seriously special equipment. I don't know any regulator that will be able to handle that type of cold.

I am thinking we will also need to put some type of heating system in our dry suits. Oh yea' some full face masks, I don't want my lips to freeze!:eek:

Quero
07-07-2007, 05:01 AM
.... Raja Ampat is in my dreams.

I've been desperate to go there, and was offered a great price on a LOB with Michael Aw's group last year, but still couldn't afford it :(

Zero
07-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Wow Zero,

Only have seen snow 3 times? When I first saw your avitar and photos on myspace, my impression of you was that you were made for snow. It must be the vast amount of facial hair, you know for protection from the snow.
Yep while we do have bigger snow fields than the Swiss Alps we are very lax in altitude (just over 2000m is the highest mountain) and only have a short season. As for the beard it works great keeping the sun off

Anyway, if you can take the cold so can I, so you have a dive buddy if you do ever get up there. I am sure we would need some seriously special equipment. I don't know any regulator that will be able to handle that type of cold.
Looking at the end of 08 start of 09 for a trip. Probably out of S. America as its the shortest travel so more time down there but a hell of a long trip from here to there to start it.
Any envirnomentally sealed cold water reg should work as long as you dont breath off it before your in the water.

I am thinking we will also need to put some type of heating system in our dry suits. Oh yea' some full face masks, I don't want my lips to freeze!:eek:
Yep i was thinking whiskey but i dont think it would be warm enough and i would like to be able to remember the diving. Drysuits dry gloves dry hoods and a FFM might be the way to go as the water is a balmy -2 degrees C:eek:

Matt

lottie
07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Anywhere at the moment. Ive been out of the water for a month and im getting too dried up.

I'm the same. Hopefully next week I can get the doc to check my ear out and give me the all-clear for diving again, then there'll be no stopping me.

As for dream dive destinations - Apart from the Caribbean, I wouldn't mind doing the GBR again (and get a bit further down than 2foot and not with a cattle-boat). I can't (read:won't) do cold-water diving....I'm a warm water freak

Lottie :)

Zero
07-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm the same. Hopefully next week I can get the doc to check my ear out and give me the all-clear for diving again, then there'll be no stopping me.
How about we swap for a bit while you cant dive? Beats having clear warm water at your doorstep when you cant use it. Had a report that today was murky and 15 degrees so you should be fine keeping clear of it.

Matt

acelockco
07-07-2007, 01:47 PM

As for dream dive destinations - Apart from the Caribbean, I wouldn't mind doing the GBR again (and get a bit further down than 2foot and not with a cattle-boat). I can't (read:won't) do cold-water diving....I'm a warm water freak

Lottie :)

Lottie,

Have you thought about that new mask with the ear-muffs attached to them. There is a tube that runs from the mask to the ear-muffs so you don't have to worry about equalizing or getting your ears wet. I saw a diver using one when I was diving in California, she said she had all kinds of ear problems. With her new mask with ear-muffs she said she never had a problem.

Daddy-h2O
07-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Right now I am dreaming, and working towards some wrecks in Lake Ontario.

lottie
07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Cheers for that ace... I cant imagine myself wearing earmuffs (i take it you don't mean the fluffy kind that you wear when out in cold weather? LOL

I think I'll just have to see how it goes. If i get further ear problems, I might have to seriously consider it :S

BamaCaveDiver
07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Do you regularly use an ear wash before and after your dives Lottie? We use a concoction we call ear beer that is basically equal parts alcohol and white vinegar (the alcohol dries the passages and the acidic vinegar kills the nasties.) I have known a few folks that were prone to ear problems and had great results using this mixture both before and after their dives. I always use it after a dive, and anytime I am going into darker water (river caves, sumps, etc.) I will use it prior to the dive. It might be worth a try to avoid any future prolonged SI's.

Sarah
07-08-2007, 04:19 PM
As mentioned, there is a new way to deal with those who simply cannot get their ears wet.

Click here (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?p=4968#post4968)

acelockco
07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
That's the mask I was talking about! I saw some girl using one, she had all kinds of ear problems normally. She said she had no problems with that one. I wish I would have asked her more about it. :(

allisonfinch
08-21-2007, 02:13 AM
:D

I loved Raja Ampat, but not sure if I want it to be one of the "repeat" dive trips. Been to PNG many times and plan to go many more times. Liked Bali OK. But I would go back to Lembeh Straits in a heartbeat!! Where else could you see a "beauty" like these???

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/ie-mailmprP21618102.jpg

or

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/emailimprP2161557.jpg

Or

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/hairyfroggiefishing-1.jpg

I just love them froggies!!!

seasnake
08-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Well ... I don't get out much ... lol Majority of my diving is close to home. I love diving where it's warm though ... :) As far as a dream destination, I don't think I've seen enough places yet to make it matter. Everywhere is cool to me! Antarctica would be awesome. I don't think it gets any colder water temps there than we get here in the winter ... And we don't really do anything special to dive here other than drysuits and a lot of whining and complainingl ... :P

AnnaBurn
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Raja Ampat and PNG for sure...but most of all atm I'm dreaming of diving Komodo....for the excitement above and beneath the surface..ohhhhh I hate being a student and having no money!!
Has anyone dived around Komodo?
xx

DrBill
12-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Dream destination for which month? I'm looking at the Red Sea, Mauritius, Galapagos, Fernando de Noronha or Abrolhas in Brazil, and Antarctica.

Mountain Dog
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, right now I'm dreaming about Medio Reef in the Bahamas because our dive club is going to commandeer one of the Nektons for a week in June. Hey, if anyone wants to go with us, pm me. Deposits have to be in by around January 20.

But down the road I'm dreaming about Truk because the club is doing a liveaboard there in 2011 - that's actually the earliest date we could secure the entire ship. Plans aren't final yet, but we're thinking that since we're making the long trip we might as well add a week at PNG. Sweet dreams!

Mountain Dog

downline77
09-27-2008, 04:42 AM
I'd settle for a liveaboard anywhere warm.

song
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Dream Big: 3 week trip to the Phoenix Islands aboard the Nai'a

fabien
12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Truk Lagoon at the moment, because now it's a winter in Europe and it woul'd be a great to spent some time in hot water :)

Galapagos and Antarctica - I've felt in love after watching films of this guy: http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:sepiolo

http://www.vimeo.com/1935228

http://www.vimeo.com/3890238

The Publisher
12-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Darek is quite the talented videographer

jckson
02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
It was really great in-this holiday because it got lot of fun and well and good opportunity on just begging of the new year.Me and my friends are went for the tracking due to this holiday and also there are lots of adventure in which we are also enjoying camp fire and feel real wild life.It was my happiest holidays.
It was my dream to do at-least once in life.

addison
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
It was really great in-this holiday because it got lot of fun and well and good opportunity on ju

skledeny
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Dream destination for which month? I'm looking at the Red Sea, Mauritius, Galapagos, Fernando de Noronha or Abrolhas in Brazil, and Antarctica.

I am looking at Switzerland, Paris, Singapore and Italy.

mill123
08-03-2011, 06:59 AM
My dream dive destination is Bali, Went once & Spent 4 nights in Bali last Sept and loved it. I really enjoyed diving in Tulamben on th east coast, where you can dive on the famous Liberty wreck and many other dive styles. Now desperately feeling to go again.

stevesparkes
11-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Can't beat warm water and good vis.

I do do cold water diving but that's only because I don't live in a warm country.

So far the best Place has been the Maldives and Sipadan. But the Red Sea is closest to the UK for that WOW factor my favorite places being Marsa Alarm and El Gouna.

Papa Bear
12-22-2012, 11:57 PM
After all these years I will be traveling to the Solomon Islands on the Beliki in August of 2013! I can't wait, there are a couple spaces left if anyone wants to go? Hit me up ;)

Alvaro8100
08-15-2013, 05:51 PM
My list included:
1. Bali.
2. Palau.
3. Bahamas.