PDA

View Full Version : A Rant

Lesa7777
07-06-2007, 01:38 AM
I have a bit of a rant some of you may agree some of your may disagree with me. Here it is. I know when I got into scuba diving I did support my local dive shop and bought all my gear from them including some very expensive equipment. They did show me the basic how two’s but not the real deal on some of my more important equipment like my computer. That will be an extra fee.

I think that is just wrong. I can see charging someone who did not buy that equipment from you but someone who spent thousands that piece of knowledge should have been included instead of here you go here is the book good luck and if you find out you don't know what you are doing we will charge you again.

I have one more rant. I do not think stress and rescue should be optional I think that should be mandatory for certification. Some of these practices are just dangerous to leave out in hopes of more money come on lets get the priorities in order.

acelockco
07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Well I agree with you 100% on your first rant. Considering the huge markup on gear and the idea that your local dive shop is charging much more than internet dive shops. The reason the local dive shop charges more is for the knowledgeable service they provide and for the fact that they know the products they sell inside and out(they service the products they sell).

If you are not getting the service you feel you are due, there are a few things you can do. I would first talk to the dive shop owner and explain the situation. Tell them that if they are not giving you the service after the sale then there is no reason for you to shop there. At that point you can find another shop that will give you the service you deserve or you can continue to figure things out on your own or using the manual and save a HUGE amount by making your purchases from an online retailer like leisure pro, divers supply, *********, or countless others.

Onto your second rant....the stress and rescue rant.
I think that the reason that stress and rescue is a second class is for the simple reason of task overloading. It is believed that too much information at once may prevent the new diver from remembering important things necessary to have a safe dive. After getting used to all of the equipment and newly learned skills, a diver then should advance to more in depth classes.

The Publisher
07-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Hello Leesa,

Welcomes to the forum, I am told you just signed up.

I don't think that was a rant, I think that was completely justified. It is like dive stores that don't have anything in stock and offer to order it for you, but then charge you full & as if they had to inventory it.

Part of what you're willing to pay their premium for is personalized service, but the thought of them trying to charge you extra $ to show you how to program and use a dive computer is bizarre.

I think Acelockco said it best go talk to them, tell them what your expectations are and what the status quo of service is for the dive retailer, and ask them to fully and without making you feel like nag to live up to those expectations for as long as and as many times it takes for you to get the hang of the new equipment, especially dive computers which tend to not be intuitive (If only Apple made dive computers!)

I personally have as a backup a Cochran helium Commander multiple Po2/Fo2 computer, and anytime I need to ask a dumb question, I just call Cochran and ask what is probably in the manual, and I am never made to feel like the idiot I actually am, so pretty much all manufacturers will give you complimentary phone support on your product when you deal with name brand dive equipment manufacturers.

amtrosie
07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I have a bit of a rant some of you may agree some of your may disagree with me. Here it is. I know when I got into scuba diving I did support my local dive shop and bought all my gear from them including some very expensive equipment. They did show me the basic how two’s but not the real deal on some of my more important equipment like my computer. That will be an extra fee.

First thing I would do is take back the equipment (all or just the computer), and ask for the money back. Demand it, if they balk at you. Then explain to them that you are going to another LDS and purchase that piece(s) of equipment from their competition. When queried as to the reason, just say "customer service". I would also place a call to the manufacturer of that particular computer and tell them that due to lack of support from the particular dive shop, you have returned their product to the store.

It has been a while, but as I recall, as part of the dealer agreement with the manufacturer the LDS MUST support the product. If they are trying to charge you for that extra information/instruction, the manufacturer could very well terminate their agreement. In my years within the retail portion of the dive industry I never heard of anyone trying to charge $ to give instruction on recently purchased equipment.

As for your second rant, The priorities are in place. It is $$$$$$$$ period. A lot of training agencies have pared their training curriculum down, past the point of being safe (my experience and observation). The crux of the issue is that they are trying to instruct in such small blocks of time and information, that it is convienient for the hyper-busy student and it is also modulized to generate more money. Today's student wants the "instant" solution for all issues. That means that diving must be instantly available to him/her on their own terms. And the dive industry has accommodated them to such a degree, that they have surrendered control of the process. So the blame lies on both sides of the dollar bill.

There is a plethora of issues relating to SAFE diving. To address them in one class would result in a class lasting several years. So, what to do? The attitude of the training agency was to give enough information so the student now had a "license to learn". I am sure that your instructor encouraged your class to continue diving and to seek further training. That base reason (for most) is to have the student continue to learn and develop safer, better skills in the water. The RARE instructor will focus on the monetary gain that they will achieve.

The student diver must assume responsibilities for themself and recognize the need for more training and experience. Here is where a mentor, a more experienced diver is invaluable. A good dive store can put together trips, forward you to a reputable dive clubs, sponser "get wet days", etc. I could go on-and-on, I won't, but hopefully you get the idea.

What ever you do, don't get discouraged. Keep looking for the people who will accept you, and mentor you, "get you wet". They are out there and will always encourage the new "barely wet behind-the-ears diver.

acelockco
07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
What is the name of the dive shop?

Post their info here so we can all avoid them. Maybe the if they see their name here in a bad light they will change their tune.

allisonfinch
07-07-2007, 08:46 PM
:(

I agree with you on both points. I would go into the dive shop (assuming there is another in your area you can deal with better) and tell them you have taken your business elsewhere. I also find that telling them you have alerted other divers via internet of their practises causes immediate reversals on many bad policies.

On the second rant.....I AGREE! I learned to dive in 1968 and the course was very long and very difficult. It included rescue, deep, wreck, night and many other skills (including many deemed too "dangerous" for todays litigious people) that were considered essential for safe diving. I won't mention what certification agency changed all that (OK, PADI!!). They decided that by dumbing down the basic course they could charge $$$ for the further training needed to make you actually safe.

PADI people can howl all they wish about that. I was diving and teaching at the very beginning of PADI and know, personally, how it all started.

Now, all the agencies do it, in some form or another, to be competitive. PADI has become a reputable training agency.

jmichaels
09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
More and more local shops are turning to online business nowadays as well. I have purchased gear from 123scuba.com several times in the past and was always happy with them. Then in a recent conversation with them about a computer, I was told I could swing by to pick it up to save time. low and behold, they are a full service shop with fills and everything.

How about that!