PDA

View Full Version : How often do you dive?

lottie
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
As there are now a good number of people on these boards (and a few newbies). I was wondering how often people dive?

As for me, I try and go 2/3 times a month - I'd go more, if I had the money

Lottie :)

acelockco
07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Funny, as I am answering this my wife said "do you think we can get in 8 more dives this week?"

I thought that was a bit much, but if she can hang so can I. So the answer is at least once a week, but usually more if I can.

Grateful Diver
07-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Typically 250 to 300 dives a year.

I'm fortunate to live in an area where access to diving is very easy, so I take every opportunity.

This week I'll be diving Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings, Saturday, and Sunday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Steve K
07-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Interesting question. 1-2 times a week until the ice comes in.

Carp_dm
07-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Once a week, sometimes more. The weather down here hasn't been cooperating as of late.

lottie
07-03-2007, 04:32 PM
This week I'll be diving Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings, Saturday, and Sunday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob - I'm very envious of you - 5 days diving straight ...

'Tis not fair...

acelockco
07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Lottie,

If you have all of your own gear you can go diving every day. I am sure there are some beaches near where you live where you can just walk in and dive.

amtrosie
07-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Lottie,

If you have all of your own gear you can go diving every day. I am sure there are some beaches near where you live where you can just walk in and dive.

Given lottie's level of experience, a dive from the local beach should include a more experienced diver as a buddy.

As to the poll, there was a time where I was in the caves 3-4 times a week. It served to cool me off as well as relieve the stress of my employment. Now-a-days it is usually once a week. Although these dives have lasted upward of two hours. (deco can be boring)

lottie
07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Apart from the fact that I haven't got my own gear, Amtrosie's right - I wouldn't want to go diving on my own anyway...just in case...

acelockco
07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I did not think you would go alone.

All I am saying is you could dive more often if you really wanted to, but considering you don't have your own gear, it is not as easy.

Doogs
11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
try and get in 2-3 times a week

CrackedConch
11-09-2007, 03:43 AM
My diving comes in waves... I might go two or three weeks without diving and then I'll log 20-30 dives in two weeks.

Diving is like money. No matter how much you have, you could always use a little more.

amtrosie
11-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Diving is like money. No matter how much you have, you could always use a little more.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Diving = money

no money, no diving

lots of money, lots of diving.

Purpleturtle
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I dont really fit any of the poll choices. I live in a land locked area but still dive on holiday/vacation (approx 50 dives a year) but I've dived 3000+ times in 15+ countries.
This year I've only dived 20 times off 2 continents
I'd love to dive all year round but I've got other hobbies too.

bubbles
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, we only dive when we go on holiday - too cold in the UK + its expensive. However, when we are on holiday the whole family dive and we normally dive every day (once or twice a day) for the whole two weeks!

Chantelle
12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
In the summer, we dive at least 3 times a week. We do slow down in the winter though. We will dive at least one of the weekend days, sometimes two. :)

Papa Bear
12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
100 to 125 times a year, I am getting older and slowing down:rolleyes: This year I ended up with 112 because of a cyclone! Oh well!

bubbles
12-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Gosh some of you are living in the water! Must have warmer waters than the UK! lol Oh to be able to dive once a month would be great!

acelockco
12-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Bubbles,

You need to look into a dry suit. The water where I live is very similar in temp. to the water where you live. Having a dry suit turns that cold water into a comfort level similar to sitting on your couch in a warm pair of sweat pants.

bubbles
12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I have thought of the possiblilty of doing dry suit before but as someone who STILL struggles sometimes with buoyancy even though I have been diving 6 years I am concerned it may just complicate diving for me. I have heard horror stories of people shooting to the surface foot first when wearing a drysuit - although I realise that people love to scare others with such, possibly very rare, stories!

My problem when I dive always comes towards the end of the dive when the tank lightens. I used to have problems sinking and kept putting more weight on to deal with this but then divemasters insisted on taking it off me again. I overcame the sinking problem simply by changing my fins. When I first qualified I had so much problem with cramps in the sole of my feet that someone suggested force fins but they are just too bouyant. I now have split fins which I love and I am a lot better at sinking but this has led divemasters to take more weight off me and then at the end of a dive I find it incredibly difficult to stay down, especially in safety stops! :confused: If you or anyone else has any advice I would be greatful. One reason could be that since I only dive on holiday, I do not get enough practise in between - I often feel like a beginner again at the beginning of a holiday!

littleleemur
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
bubbles,

Have you tried ankle weights to help with floaty feet? You can also get larger ones that will also fit around a drysuit ankle. Also if you get cramps in your foot, the fit of the foot pocket isn't right for the shape of your feet/or the sizing isn't right.

Also, where do you wear your weights? If you don't have a weight integrated BC, you can still get the ankle weights (approx 2lbs & 2.5-3lbs each) and strap them to the top of your tank. This extra weight will counteract the bouyancy of an AL80 at the safety stop, plus take some weight off the weight belt.

BamaCaveDiver
12-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I would avoid the ankle weights, they can cause more problems than they solve. It clearly sounds like your bouyancy issues are from lack of practice; the more you dive the more confidence you build up (which is why we see new divers drop weight as they gain experience, and we also see their SAC rates improve.) It is all about becoming comfortable in the water column, to do that you need to spend time to develop confidence in your skills and ability.

You might try politely informing the DM's that you are diving the weight you need to hold your safety stop with a depleted cylinder. If they still insist on taking weight off, I would not hesitate in telling them to bugger off (actually, I would tell them something a bit different right from the start, but that's another thread...:eek: )

Find a calm body of water and check your weight with a near empty cylinder (just like we are all taught in our basic ow classes) and record that weight in your log book (and show that to the DM during the polite phase.) Each dive pay attention to how you feel and record it in your log (did you feel like you were a bit floaty, or perhaps a bit heavy. etc.) Once you have enough dives recorded you can pretty much put together any gear package (varying cylinders, different thermal protection, etc.) and have a reasonably close idea to how much weight you will need to safely finsih the dive. By all means, if you feel light at the beginning of the dive call it before things start going bad.

Most of the run away ascents I have seen or heard about with dry suits seem to involve folks that are either wearing suits that are way too large to begin with, or they are putting too much air into the suit. A good fit will put an end to floaty feet and drastic bouyancy shifts, as well as cut down on the drag that you will experience as you swim through the water column. Dry suits are expensive, and trying to save a few bucks is what typically causes folks to have these bad experiences (they buy a suit that fit their body, but the boots are five sizes too large and they do not bother to replace them.) Once you find a suit that fits properly, and you have dialed in your bouyancy, you will be asking yourself why you did not start off with that setup :)

bubbles
12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Guys for all the advice re my bouyancy probs. Bamacavediver - you are right re ankle weights, I tried these prior to ditching the force fins and they were more trouble than they were worth! You also mentioned sizes of fins and this could well have been my problem on my openwater course - we borrowed all the equipment but when it came to fins I couldn't find a pair that fitted. We were diving in a very cold lake and I got terrible cramp on the last day - nearly didn't finish the course. I told the instructor I could only finish the last few skills if he allowed me to do it finless which he agreed to.

I will try doing what you said re testing bouyancy with a near empty tank and also trying to say 'no' to divemasters re weight they are taking off me because I feel I can never get settled - no continuity with all the DMs (not that I'm saying they are not experienced) having their own bit of knowledge to add!!! I wish I could dive more reguarly then maybe I would relax a lot more in the water.

I have got an intergrated BCD and so last holiday someone suggested putting small weights either side of the tank in the tank band pockets and this was an improvement.

Anyway thanks guys and if anyone else has something to add - I would be glad to hear it. I soooooooooo would really like to get this sussed!

seasnake
12-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Do you have access to a pool where you could jump in with scuba gear? Sometimes that is a good way to keep the rusties off when you can't get to the open water. Especially if you haven't been diving in awhile and you are heading off for a dive trip, if you can hop in the pool and practice a bit that can really help.

I second what Bama said about practice and experience.

bubbles
12-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I am a member of the dive club and we can use the pool free of charge on practise nights so may be I should make use of this. All I would need to pay for is tanks. The only downside is it can get very busy with lessons going on but I will certainly give this a go.

acelockco
12-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Save your money and get a drysuit. I can't imagine I would have any fun at all diving in a pool. Well the NASA training pool or something cool like that would be OK.

scuba smurf
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I second what Bama said about practice and experience.[/QUOTE]

you still dive???

seasnake
12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
you still dive???

(Yosemite Sam voice): oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

Hey, I do all kindsa stuff on the internet, man! :cool:

Chantelle
12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
(Yosemite Sam voice): oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

Hey, I do all kindsa stuff on the internet, man! :cool:

Seasnake... That's a little bit too much information!:eek:

*ducks* :p

seasnake
12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Oops ... guess I should've thought that out a little before hitting send ... erm ... :o :rolleyes:

Chantelle
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Oops ... guess I should've thought that out a little before hitting send ... erm ... :o :rolleyes:

ROFL.. that sort of thing is reserved for PMs! hahahahaha

lottie
12-21-2007, 06:37 PM
ROFL.. that sort of thing is reserved for PMs! hahahahaha

..or the Me? Flirt? thread ;)

seasnake
12-23-2007, 02:48 AM
...... well!