PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, truth or hidden agenda?

Archangel
06-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I received this off of the Diving Accidents Yahoo Group. . .
Hmmm, is he an Al 80 hater or a concerned citizen:)

Great Thursday all!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Subject: [E-DIVERS] another AL 6351 scuba tank explodes
To: florida *********** <florida***********@yahoogroups.com>

If you own one of these tanks, please turn it into a door stop or get your $15 at the scrap metal recycling center.

http://www.projo.com/ri/tiverton/content/EB_TIVSCUBA14_06-14-07_VQ60O4B.2f0bc7c.html
or
http://snipr.com/1nmfw

Man escapes injury from exploding scuba tank 01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, June 14, 2007 TIVERTON, RI — A scuba tank exploded as it was being refilled and damaged Pisces Diving Services at 1019 Main Rd., yesterday afternoon, although the man filling the tank at the time of the accident was unharmed.
The Tiverton Fire Department responded to the shop at about 3 p.m.
for a report of an explosion, Fire Chief Robert D. Lloyd said.
The man, whom Lloyd would not identify, told firefighters that he was filling the breathing tank with compressed air when the tank's top apparently separated, exploding the tank, shattering lights and sending it across the room where part of the tank embedded in a wall, Lloyd said.
The building sustained "considerable" damage of roughly a few thousand dollars, Lloyd said.
Lloyd said a scuba tank explosion is a "rare occurrence," something he's never seen in his 30 years of firefighting.
The man was "extremely lucky" to have been out of the tank's trajectory, Lloyd said.
"I would go buy a lottery ticket," Lloyd said.
Officials reported the incident to the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Regards,

Brian

acelockco
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Considering it has only happened once in 30 years, I doubt there is a problem with the SCUBA cyls. But if anyone does want to scrap them for $15, drop me an email and I will give you $20 for them.

amtrosie
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Considering it has only happened once in 30 years, I doubt there is a problem with the SCUBA cyls.

Funny you should say this. This little article (http://psicylinders.com/library/Current/cracking.htm) from OSHA was the genesis for having Aluminum tank necks have High Frequency Eddy Current inspections. The tanks manufactured using the alloy 6351 were manufactured by Luxfer from 1972 to June 1988. They then went to a 6061 alloy that had been used by Catalina cylinders all along. I can not speak to any other markets outside of the USA. To have 12 explosive failures before 1999 (there have been more since), 11 of them while filling, speaks to the defectiveness of the 6351 alloy employed by Luxfer.

Why the cylinders exploded while filling is simply a combination of dramatic pressure change and increased temprature. Simple physics, Remember Charles' Law of Pressure and temperature being proportional?

These cylinders are still safe as long as they are CAREFULLY INSPECTED on an annual basis by a certified technician. This is life sustaining equipment and the people maintaining this equipment must treat it as such.

I'll get off my soap box now........ after everyone promises to here-by swear that they will maintain their gear an annual basis......

Now I'll run along and re-INSPECT my cylinders.

Sarah
06-28-2007, 08:35 PM
We have a video on the forum of a cylinder exloding....

acelockco
06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Nice, can you post it here or tell us where to find it?

kirwoodd
07-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I have heard (but not confirmed) that AL cylinders from certain years have been condemned. Don't know if its true, but this story may be related.

On an unrelated note...
Archangel,
could you please make your signature narrower? It makes my browser go too wide and its harder to read. Makes me not want to read threads that you start/participate in, and since you are advertising your business, it seems likely that that is not your goal.

Zero
07-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Heres a little bit on them from Luxfer.
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20060407.shtml

Matt