PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Check MD, VA, PA

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Greetings,

Where are all the divers in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania? I've been trying to scare up a buddy to go weekend diving with for a month now, and can't find anyone!

I'm trying to get quarry dives in as practice for doing some NC and FL wreck diving later this year. A couple of the quarries in PA have depths approaching 100+ feet, so these are where I'd like to head.

I've got a two-man tent, and would like to camp over Saturday nights to get as many dives as possible in over the weekend.

Anyone out there need a dive buddy?

Cheers,

Greg
gregschmitt31@hotmail.com

Dive with a buddy and reduce the risk of shark attack by 50%

Sarah
06-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Gregg, ever since the Brokeback Mountain movie, guys are afraid to go camping. ;)

Welcome to the ScubaMagazine.net Forum by the way, you've now officially de-lurked yourself! :)

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Not true for manly men that want to dive in manly ways!

Sarah
06-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Do you dive with dive gear made for men, by men, for manly men? ( a scuba twist on John Belushi's Saurday Night Live skit)

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Tis only one way to dive, and that's the manly way!

Aye!

acelockco
06-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree with iDiveChick, with all of this gay brokecrack mountain stuff and all, no way I will share a tent with some guy.

Anyway, I do have my own tent that I can use if you want to do some diving. I am in PA, and love to dive at Willow Springs. The depth is only maxed out at 55 ft though. Let me know if you are interested.

Ace

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
That's cool ace. ;-)

Do you dive Bainbridge or Dutch Springs?

Cheers,

Greg

acelockco
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I have never been to Bainbridge, but have heard good things. I do go to Dutch from time to time, but usually head to Willow because I have a season pass, and it is really close to home. Dutch is really nice with its teal-blue crystal clear waters I must say. Some of my local dive groups/clubs/shops have special events at Dutch during the summer, so that is when I usually make a trip over there.

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Ace,

If you decide to go to Dutch some weekend and want a buddy (or you know someone that does), drop me a line. That's a 2.5 hour drive for me (give or take) so I'd definitely like to spend a weekend there and get in 4-5 dives.

Cheers,

Greg

acelockco
06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
No problem! If you check out www.paquarrydivers.com and sign up (it's a free yahoo group) you can find a buddy there. Just post the date(s) you are looking to go and we will get you a buddy. There is a group going this weekend, they are camping as well. I know the notice is short, but they are looking for divers to join them.

Let me know if you need any help, I can get you the group leaders info.

gregschmitt31
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ace.

In fact I'm a member at that site, but haven't gotten any replys yet.

I'll keep trying!

Cheers,

Greg

ldyscuba
06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I can dive to 100 ft and i'm not a manly man...lol let me know if you need a buddy. I am planning to do many dive this summer and would love to have a buddy. I just dove off Virginia Beach Saterday. It was ok and we had a great time.

acelockco
06-28-2007, 12:17 AM
If you have not found a buddy on www.paquarrydivers.com then you have not tried. I am on that board every day, and have been diving with a lot of the members. I know there is not a lot of activity, but I also know when someone posts for a buddy they usually get more than one reply.

Please give it a try again, I am sure you will not be dissapointed. One of my dive buddies has a season pass to Dutch Springs. He is always looking for someone to go to Dutch with him and is on the paquarrydivers group.

gregschmitt31
06-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi Ace,

Just posted for a group heading to Dutch this weekend. We'll see what happens.

It's a 3 hour trip for us Annapolis folks, but one I'll gladly make if I can buddy up with someone!

Cheers,

Greg

gregschmitt31
06-28-2007, 02:46 AM
I can dive to 100 ft and i'm not a manly man...lol let me know if you need a buddy. I am planning to do many dive this summer and would love to have a buddy. I just dove off Virginia Beach Saterday. It was ok and we had a great time.
Hi ldyscuba!

Do you dive any of the quarries in VA or PA (there's only one in MD, Hydes, and it's not all that great from what I've been told!)

I'm practicing deep nav as much as possible, gearing up for NC and FL wreck dives later this year.

Cheers,

Greg

Phlocker
06-28-2007, 06:03 AM
I will be in Virginia Beach in a couple of weeks. Is there any good diving in that area. I've heard that Virginia beach is for lovers. So I think that I will bring my own tent as well:D

acelockco
06-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I see from paquarrydivers that you were able to find a group to dive with. I am really thrilled that we were able to find you some divers to enjoy the weekend with. Now you are required to give a dive report. :)

gregschmitt31
06-29-2007, 02:49 AM
I will comply!

Cheers,

Greg

acelockco
06-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Great!

I would love to hear what it is like. The last time I went diving at Dutch Springs, the water temp was nice and warm. My temp gauge read 38 degrees! Break out the shorty wetsuit....lol

The visibility was nothing short of amazing though!

gregschmitt31
07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
What an awesome weekend!

Dutch Springs 30 June - 2 July

Great weather, great diving, and a great gang to share it with. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah, a beer distributor just around the corner!

That sums up last weekend at Dutch Springs. I can't thank Jennifer and Allen for inviting me up to join the A-1 Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Adventures clan for a weekend of great company and great diving. Four great dives with a fantastic crew, I'll make the 3 hour trip from Annapolis anytime!

Diving at Dutch is probably the best a quarry can hope to offer. Large surface area and multiple entry points keep it from feeling crowded (even with a lot of divers around). Lots of underwater sites to visit including a Hellcat WWII fighter, a Helicopter suspended from floats at 45' that you can swim through, boats, trucks, and more at depths ranging from 30 or so feet to 95'. This past weekend the vis was 15 to 20 feet (especially if you got to the sites first!) and temps ranged from 70 at the surface to 48 at 86'. All this and there are always dive master qualified spotters watching over the in-water divers.

Thanks again A-1 Scuba Diving & Snorkeling Adventures! Can't wait to join up with you again!

Cheers,

Greg

acelockco
07-03-2007, 02:01 AM
I see you posted at www.paquarrydivers.com as well. Thanks.

I am really happy to hear you had a great time. Sounds like the visibility is bad for Dutch, but I have heard that from others as well. Still great visibility anyway.

Let me know the next time you are going to come up and maybe we can meet for some dives.

Ace

gregschmitt31
07-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Will do Ace!

Cheers,

Greg

Mountain Dog
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi to all of my fellow Mid-Atlantic types. I just found and joined this forum. LadyDog (my beautiful wife and dive buddy) and I have about a year of diving in the log book and have become total junkies. St. Lucia, Aruba, Key Largo, Pompano Beach and Lake Rawlings are already logged and Bonaire is coming up in September.

We're planning to hit Rawlings again on July 21 & 22. Anyone else going to be there?

Mountain Dog

acelockco
07-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Dog,

I have never heard of Rawlings, can you give us some more info.

I know you are near me (PA) so maybe it is something close by to dive.

Ace

Mountain Dog
07-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Dog,

I have never heard of Rawlings, can you give us some more info.

I know you are near me (PA) so maybe it is something close by to dive.

Ace

Lake Rawlings is in southern Virginia - a fair hike from PA, but it's awesome as quarries go. It basically has two depths. The deepest part is around 60 feet, and the largest part of the quarry has a bottom at around 30 feet. There are lots of sunken boats, vehicles and obstacle courses. Vis is really good during the week at as much as 60 feet. Things can get stirred up on weekends because a lot of training goes on there. But even then you can find some pretty clean water by getting away from the training platform area. The quarry has a large population of zebra mussels, which are credited for keeping the water clean.

There is a ton of on-site basic camping, and a few of spots with electrical hook-ups for RV's. No hot water shower houses yet, but they say they plan to put some in this summer. On-site air fills as well. Check it out at www.lakerawlings.com

Mountain Dog

rsh110
12-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Greg I live in delco about two hours from dutch springs and I recently got open water certified in october at dutch springs. I have 12 dives under my belt one being a boat dive in florida and the rest florida shore dives. I recently finished accquiring everthing needed to dive equipment wise and will be looking to dive in the early spring I have a mares 6.5 isotherm "semi dry " suit" that should suffice. I plan a few trips to florida this summer and also would like to get my skills down. I also have a 11.5ft slide in truck camper so i really dont need a tent. If you want to go diving at dutch in late January or febuary or even later let me know. By the way the camper has heat a stove and fridge and two seperate beds for sleeping (cab over and take down table)
there is no need to worry about freezing when you get out the water and its freezing outside. if intrested email me at bigh110@gmail.com
my usual dive buddy is building a house in florida and will not be around alot this spring

acelockco
12-18-2007, 11:50 PM
If you ever want to dive Willow Springs, let me know. I would be more than happy to show you around. There is electric hookup for your camper too. I will be diving from time to time all winter, well when I am not in Florida warming up as often as I can. The diving down there is really sweet!