PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Sealife digital cameras - thanks!

frotu33
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi!

I've got some extensive dive travel coming up, and I'm looking to buy an underwater camera system that is uncomplicated, yet takes decent pictures. I don't need anything super fancy - no plans to shoot photos for National Geographic - but if I going to invest the money, it would be nice to get a few clear shots without back-scatter. In other words, I'm in the market for "good enough."

Basically, I am trying to decide between the Sealife Reefmaster-mini digital and the Sealife DC600. Despite a heckuva price jump to the DC600, the two cameras seem to boast all of the same features? Can anyone tell me the big advantage of the DC600? The Sealife rep I spoke with couldn't really. His big selling point seemed to be that the rechargeable battery pack in the DC600 will last longer during a dive than the mini, which uses regular AA batteries ... which means that I would have to buy extra (extensive) battery packs for multiple dives, as there would likely be no way to recharge the single battery during a surface interval.

Does anybody have a Reefmaster Mini + problems with it running out of juice underwater? Or can anybody tell me further reasons why the DC600 is better than the Mini?

I would be using either one in conjunction with a wide-angle lens and an external strobe light (which I will ask questions about in the appropriate forum).

Thanks so much!
frotu33

frotu33
06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Or can anybody tell me further reasons why the DC600 is better than the Mini?

OK, I've learned from browsing the web that the Mini has a "fixed focus" (bad) vs. the DC600's "auto focus" (good).

Sarah
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Fixed focus, oh, that is a deal breaker!

Backscatter is somewhat reduced by having your strobe(s) set wider apart.

frotu33
06-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Fixed fous, oh, that is a deal breaker!

Backscatter is somewhat reduced by having your strobe(s) set wider apart.

What? I gotta buy TWO strobes??? This sport is killing me!!!

allisonfinch
06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
:o

Yeah!! Welcome to the bottomless pit!! LOL!

Mountain Dog
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I bought the DC600 a month ago and I'm very happy with the results so far. I don't have any great photos to show you because I've only had a couple of quarry dives with it so far. I'm basically getting in tune with it for my September trip to Bonaire.

Anyway, I bought the "pro" setup, which has one external strobe as part of the package. I can tell you from my limited use of it that you can get some nice results with just one strobe. Will I buy the second strobe? Eventually, yes, because it helps eliminate shadows that a single strobe can cause. But before I spend the money on a second strobe, I will be getting the wide angle lens and the diffuser lens for over my single strobe.

As for the bottomless pit aspect of diving, yep, get used to that. I read a great philosophy about spending money on scuba a while back. The author said to think of 100 dollars as a single "scuba buck". That way, every time you go to the dive shop, you'll only spend a couple of "scuba bucks". Doesn't seem to hurt quite as much.

Mountain Dog

cos33
08-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey, I'm new here and already I feel like I missed out. I actually bought the Reefmaster Mini about a week or two before this thread started.

Before I bought the camera I tried finding some user info on it, but all I found was users of cameras with new purchase housings. The Reef Master seems to do fine by me, but this is the first u/w camera I've ever used and really am just starting to figure out how to use it best underwater.

Excuse me if I sound thick, but what's the issue about the focus being fixed actually mean???

I don't know much about cameras and I figured this camera would be a good starting ground to later add strobes and a wide angle. As it stands, I'm getting a bit concerned I made the wrong purchase.

Thanks - Cos

Sarah
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Cos, fixed focus means you can't focus on something either really close or really far away.

The old throw away film cameras are an example of fixed focus. If one is stuck with such a versatilty-challenged, lol, camera, find out per the instructions what the distances are for subjects that will be in focus, then make sure you always take pictures of things within that distance range.

Papa Bear
08-19-2007, 02:07 AM
It means there is no focus ring. They focus the camera with a slow lens that restricts light allowing a deeper depth of field. Take your finger and thumb and make a circle. Like a peep hole, now look through it and more stuff will be in focus within your field of view! The camera does the same thing with its
F-stops. So if you look at the lens it will tell you the fastest speed or starting F-stop. the Reef master is 3.4 the mini I am not sure but it will be a higher number. In addition the Mini does not zoom it is a fixed lens as well, you can't zoom without focusing! It is a snap shot camera! If that is what you want that is what you will get with this camera. The fewer controls the more you are at the mercy of the camera and conditions! The max depth is 130 compared to 200 on the D600 as well. Don't wast your money on a second Flash for a mini! We post a Photo Tip of the week at twotankedproductions.com (http://www.twotankedproductions.com) on our message board!

SeaDog
08-26-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE]The author said to think of 100 dollars as a single "scuba buck". That way, every time you go to the dive shop, you'll only spend a couple of "scuba bucks". Doesn't seem to hurt quite as much.

I Love That, I think It's the same logic my wife has been using for years when she shops.....Now I can use it too. let's see that Rebreather is now only 20 scuba bucks...I'll take it!

Anyway, I have the Sealife DC500 and 600. Single strobe on both and I love them both. I got the DC500 because of the "Shark Mode" Function and later the DC600 because the 500 wouldn't take cards larger than 512MB without locking up sometimes. Forget the "Mini" it's for poolside parties or giving to the kids on a snorkeling trip. Go with the 600 and get the extra batteries, I change out after every dive. The batteries in the strobe too. I don't think you'll be disappointed. All the pictures I've posted were shot with those two cameras.
Just a Seadog's opinion