PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Caymans like for diving.

lottie
06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking about diving up there sometime next year (already got a week booked up in St Maarten for this year)

Which island is better for diving? What about cheapish places to stay that are self-catering (I might be travelling on my own)

Lottie :)

Alex777
06-30-2007, 10:49 AM
The Cayman Islands are noted for great viz (100 ft. +), warm water (about 84 degrees right now) and dramatic wall scenery. Currents are not often a problem. The main wall around Grand Cayman plunges down more or less vertically to, well, 1 mile +. The dive operators are first rate - there are so many of them that the competition ensures that only the better ones stay in business.

Unfortunately, the Cayman Islands are an expensive destination by any standard. The hotels and restaurants are clearly aimed at the high end of the tourist market. There are no "cheap" places to stay. For the less expensive places, check out Eldemire Lodge, Adams Guest House and the Comfort Suites.

Sorry, I cannot comment on St. Maartens diving. Having dived in St. Lucia, I can say that you will find Grand Cayman a refreshing change.

lottie
07-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey Alex,
Thanks for the info. I'll bear your advice in mind. Think I might wait a couple of years to save up if its expensive.

-hh
07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
The Cayman Islands are noted for great viz (100 ft. +), warm water (about 84 degrees right now) and dramatic wall scenery. Currents are not often a problem. The main wall around Grand Cayman plunges down more or less vertically to, well, 1 mile +.

The "mile deep" dropoff is an old, lame Divemaster's tale.

While this is surely a bit pendantic, the drop-off is "only" to ~1000ft, and you have to go out around a mile further offshore before it gets to 3000ft. Here's (http://www.huntzinger.com/dive/Little-Cayman-depths-2.jpg) a map with depths (in meters). While this information may be new here it has been well known on the USENET discussion groups for years.

Unfortunately, the Cayman Islands are an expensive destination by any standard. The hotels and restaurants are clearly aimed at the high end of the tourist market. There are no "cheap" places to stay. For the less expensive places, check out Eldemire Lodge, Admas Guest House and the Comfort Suites.

Grand Cayman's what's expensive & overpriced. Just get out, or jump over to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, where the diving is generally considered markedly superior...just make sure that your trip is long enough to amortize the extra ~$175/pp-RT airfare cost and shop around for off-season "2 for 1" promotions and the like.

Sorry, I cannot comment on St. Maartens diving.

Suffice to say that after 2-3 dives on St. Maarten, I stopped bothering to carry my UW camera with me...

-hh

Alex777
07-11-2007, 01:11 AM
The link is to a chart of Little Cayman; do you have 1 for Grand Cayman?

Speaking as a full-time resident of the Cayman Is. who dives on all 3 islands, the diving is not "generally considered markedly superior" on Cayman Brac & Little Cayman. The diving on Grand Cayman around the East End & NE side is at least equal to the other islands.

Papa Bear
09-26-2007, 06:14 AM
I think some of the South side is great. The tunnel of love is one of the best. Japanese Gardens and everything in between. I have been diving Cayman for 12 years and it is beautiful in so many places. Even the shore diving is great!