PDA

View Full Version : Keeping neutral buoyancy

lottie
06-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey guys.
I just want to ask peoples opinions about this.

I did a dive this morning, absolutely fantastic (nuff said). This was also the first time that I've used a camera (don't ask me what it was as I couldn't tell you as I hired it from my LDS). I managed to take loads of pics (will post them up next week sometime), but the thing that I found difficult was keeping my buoyancy neutral.

If I was taking a pic away from the reef of a school of fish that were swimming past, I was okay with my buoyancy. But when I tried to take a pic close-ish to the reef and keep still long enough to keep the camera steady, I felt (and nearly did) go into the reef wall and damage the coral.

Sorry about the long prose, but any one got any helpful hints or ideas?
I haven't done any underwater photgraphy courses as yet - but I might be inclined to include this when I do my Advanced OW next month.

Lottie :)

phrenicnerve
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
take the peak bouyancy course. if you are already weighted correctly it is all in controlling your breathing. if a current runs you into the wall I wouldn't know what to do except maybe stay further off the reef and zoom in if you can. or try to drop below the current.

SteveB
06-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Hi Lottie,

It mostly takes practice. Get neutral, slowly approach your subject, take pics as you approach (so you at least got something to work with if the subject flees, also to check your exposure), use breath control to hold your position, learn the one finger method (find a non-sensitive spot and use a finger to stabilize your position), keep your fins up and then compose and snap away.

Steve B

acelockco
06-21-2007, 03:12 AM
I agree, it just will take practice. There are things you can do, such as making sure you have the correct weight on. Too little and you know what will happen, too much and you will have to over compensate with your BC. Your exposure suit if you wear one can also make a huge difference.

Up untill about a week ago I was diving with a farmer john 7 mm wetsuit (double in the body). All of that exposure protection really muffed up my bouyancy. Now that I dive with a drysuit, things are MUCH easier. I also found that my aluminum scuba cylinder is not too good for bouyancy, if you are planning on purchasing your own tanks, go for steel. If you rent, try to get steel, but you may not be able to find them for rent at most places.

Good luck.

Zero
06-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Id say just dive heaps. Bouyancy control will come with more time in the water. Use consistant gear so you get the right weight with it then go from there. The deeper you go the easier your bouyancy is to control as it takes more air to float you at depth so if you are playing around in shallow water try adding less each time you press the inflator. Dont give it one big squirt give it a few smaller squirts.

Matt

lottie
06-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Now that I've done quite a number of dives (about 10), I feel as though I've got my buoyancy under control. I'm not flaying my arms around as much and taking it nice and easy and slowly.

It was just while using the camera that I had a few problems, but as you say practice makes perfect

allisonfinch
06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
:rolleyes:

You are trying to learn two difficult skills at the same time. Bouyancy is hard to master at first and it is REALLY hard to master if you add "diversion" at the same time. Photography takes a lot of concentration is best started when bouyancy is already second nature.
That being said, just remember bouyancy comes first, pictures second.
If you have a current that pushes you onto the reef, it is almost impossible not to impact it unless you spend all your attention on your position. When I find myself in this situation, I try to stay at the top edge of the reef and shoot "over the edge" to keep impact to a minimum.
agood luck, and welcome to the dive/photo community.:cool:

GirlDiver
06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Allison is right...you've got a lot on your plate. Though, I have to think that the learning curve may be shortened, just because you're going to "learn" buoyancy WITH the camera in hand. And you'll be vastly more aware of your positioning...out of photographic necessity.

We're all looking forward to your views of the underwater realm!

Zero
06-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Or of course we can look at this from the photographic angle. Dont worry about the reef smash it up as much as you can and leave a trail of destruction behind you. If you get that one in a million shot you dont one some other photog taking it as well and spoiling all your glory.:eek: (wheres the smilie with the horns coming out of its head?) Bouyancy lessons complete:rolleyes:

Matt

lottie
06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
ROFL @ Matt. Thanks Matt, that was great!!!

I think I might leave the photog stuff til later (well, at least until i've done my AOW in august). Just have to see whether the pics have turned out okay or not. The guy that deals with the cameras and stuff said that he had problems getting the pics from the camera, so i just hope I haven't lost them completely.

Thanks

amtrosie
06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Buoyancy control is a "touchy-feely skill" It is only achieved with a lot of diving. Do you think you can manage that in your locale, with it's severe weather? A couple of pointers: RELAX-your constant breathing will do more to throw your buoyancy off than anything else. RELAX-breath normally, not like there is no guarentee of your next breath. RELAX-do not fight the water. RELAX- are you getting the picture?

Ensure that your weighting is proper, then move on to positioning your weight on your tank and body so that your body position is virtually horizontal. This positioning will allow the best way to approach coral, fish, and other un-suspecting subjects for your camera. ( It is also the most efficient way to move in the water column) PARCTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

lottie
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
RELAX-your constant breathing will do more to throw your buoyancy off than anything else. RELAX-breath normally, not like there is no guarentee of your next breath. RELAX-do not fight the water. RELAX- are you getting the picture?

So you want me to relax???
Hey man, I'm relaxed ....way too relaxed (sorry, I'm getting a bit facetious there....)
I understand what you're saying. I'll have a go practicing that when I eventually get back into the water once my ear sorts itself out (I've now perforated my ear drum :( )

Thanks for your help (and no I'm not being facetious)

acelockco
06-26-2007, 12:40 AM
RELAX MON.....

I guess that is why I had perfect buoyancy in Jamaicia.

you know....when in Rome.