PDA

View Full Version : Diving Maui Aug 2006

scubajam
06-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Here's a 5 min clip of some Maui diving. I used DivX and am very happy with the quality. Shot originally in HD, so it's widescreen. I used my secret combo filters to make colors on some clips pop out more, let me know what you think? Too much? Would you notice if I didn't say anything?

NlzRHJno3kQ

Jim McGauhey
Washington State

PinayDiver
06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
secret combo filters sounds intriguing :)
i didn't notice the color tweaking but then again i'm not a videographer so i wouldn't know what gives that away. i'll just be that non-technical audience feedback.
but what i really wanted to say was: how did you get that manta to come that close (and just when you happened to be holding a video camera too)? did you also spend hours on them like diveproductions did? or is that a trade secret too :)

acelockco
06-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Every video you share with us is better than the last. I think the key is using the filters you have. It really makes the video pop! It does not look fake either. I think all of the pros are using them, and so should you. Can't wait to see your next video.

scubajam
06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Thnx all for kind replies. As for the manta, it was just being right place, right time. I really video as a true amateur, just cruise and stop by and take an interesting shot. I don't go down with a script in mind, or make the video the main focus of the entire dive. I really want to see and experience as if I had no video, but also record to share. Pros do it with singular purpose, and often with script in mind, as much as wild critters allow. The manta happened by. Being close is combination of things. 1) In August I took the rebreather. My son Ben is the other diver with yellow video housing, but I got a bit closer, maybe because of no bubbles, but mantas don't seem as bubble shy as other critters. 2) A bit of telephoto. I like to use maximum close-ups and often, if water clarity allows, telephoto in. It is much harder to keep camera steady and get a good shot with telephoto, but pure concentration helps. I'm at the point now where I can tune into monitor inside housing, frame, and start, then move my eyes up and watch the critter while holding housing reasonably steady - just lots of practice. I'll move my eyes back and forth to track and keep critter framed. That way I get to enjoy the moment, as well as return with something to share. The real key to getting lots of good critter shots is lots of dives, and take the video EVERY dive. In the past six years there's probably only 4-5 dives I didn't take video; and those were mainly training dives, as learning rebreather the first dive (then took it the other training dives); and at Duncan Rock, Neah Bay where I jumped into a washing machine - lots of white water. I cussed below because while the surface boiled, the bottom was calm and very beautiful - should have jumped into the washing machine with the video, if I only knew. Went there next year - jumped into washing machine with video, and got caught in surge and currents like never before. Out of 6 only 3 of use dove, and that time I really shouldn't have brought the video. Still, I stayed for a full dive, lots of tucking into rock crevices (wedging in), holding on with one hand (as fins went horizontal one way in surge, then changed to other direction), video in the other, and wondering how to adjust buoyancy with ?? third arm? and got at least some video. The other 2 had scooters, so they had an easier time in the current. After 43 years of diving, teaching, store and dive charter boat owner, now just for fun, I've learned a few things - but still have much to learn myself. Dive lots, take lots of video, and dive safe! Not an old, bold diver, just old.... Jim

PinayDiver
06-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I really video as a true amateur, just cruise and stop by and take an interesting shot. I don't go down with a script in mind, or make the video the main focus of the entire dive. I really want to see and experience as if I had no video, but also record to share.

You actually just clarified to me how I am with underwater photography (having just bought a camera and still making friends with it, so to speak)

The manta happened by. Being close is combination of things. 1) In August I took the rebreather. My son Ben is the other diver with yellow video housing, but I got a bit closer, maybe because of no bubbles, but mantas don't seem as bubble shy as other critters.

The times I've sought/encountered manta in the Philippines -- Ticao Bowl, Tubbataha, Malapascua -- the visibility always happened to be poor (currents brought in the plankton that brought in the manta). So I'm always amazed by videos of manta in clear water.

2) A bit of telephoto. I like to use maximum close-ups and often, if water clarity allows, telephoto in. It is much harder to keep camera steady and get a good shot with telephoto, but pure concentration helps. I'm at the point now where I can tune into monitor inside housing, frame, and start, then move my eyes up and watch the critter while holding housing reasonably steady - just lots of practice. I'll move my eyes back and forth to track and keep critter framed. That way I get to enjoy the moment, as well as return with something to share.

I always appreciate hearing about another person's creative process.

The real key to getting lots of good critter shots is lots of dives, and take the video EVERY dive. In the past six years there's probably only 4-5 dives I didn't take video;

Aye-aye captain, my (thankfully compact) camera is now simply another step in gearing up.

and those were mainly training dives, as learning rebreather the first dive (then took it the other training dives); and at Duncan Rock, Neah Bay where I jumped into a washing machine - lots of white water. I cussed below because while the surface boiled, the bottom was calm and very beautiful - should have jumped into the washing machine with the video, if I only knew. Went there next year - jumped into washing machine with video, and got caught in surge and currents like never before. Out of 6 only 3 of use dove, and that time I really shouldn't have brought the video. Still, I stayed for a full dive, lots of tucking into rock crevices (wedging in), holding on with one hand (as fins went horizontal one way in surge, then changed to other direction), video in the other, and wondering how to adjust buoyancy with ?? third arm? and got at least some video. The other 2 had scooters, so they had an easier time in the current. After 43 years of diving, teaching, store and dive charter boat owner, now just for fun, I've learned a few things - but still have much to learn myself. Dive lots, take lots of video, and dive safe! Not an old, bold diver, just old.... Jim

Good story!
We also have a Washing Machine site here, in Verde waters. The formation is a bit like "splayed fingers." I didn't own a camera yet then but I was grouped with photographers who were concerned about their external lighting so the local divemaster timed it after the moon's last quarter phase and before noon. The currents were turned down relatively low but there were still parts where we also had to wedge in -- giving us a bit of a taste of how it "normally" is in that site. The girls in my group have been wanting the real "Washing Machine" experience (with our usual DM, safety first). The boys, not so much.