PDA

View Full Version : 4 Dead Dolphins

Zero
06-18-2007, 10:49 AM
A friend posted me this bit of sad news.
Reposted from: Wild Dolphin Foundation

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Four dead dolphins have washed ashore with fatal bullet wounds and fifth with lacerations on its pectoral fin, said authorities who have offered a reward for information on the slayings.
The long-beaked common dolphins were all discovered between Carlsbad State Beach and Oceanside Harbor between May 29 and June 5. Photos showed their normally sleek gray skin mottled and stained with blood from the bullet wounds.

"It's a horrendous thing that happened," said Mark Oswell, spokesman for the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. "That someone would go out there and shoot four dolphins."

Necropsies revealed that the dolphins, which were healthy with bellies full of fish, may have been shot at the same time with the same gun. Four had between one and three bullets of the same caliber in the same part of their heads.

Federal officials say that nationwide, they normally get one report of a dolphin shooting a year. The last time San Diego reported such a death was five years ago. Before that there hadn't been one in the area since the 1960s.
"It usually turns out to be a fisherman," said Oswell, adding there have been cases when anglers take out their frustrations on dolphins and other mammals that eat their catch.
The agency is offering up to $2,500 for information on the deaths. If caught, the perpetrator could face civil penalties of up to $12,000 or a criminal fine of up to $20,000, as well as jail time.
Harassing or killing dolphins is a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, a federal law that protects seals, sea lions, dolphins, whales and other marine mammals.

Kind of sux that the fines are probably less than the boat that they were shooting from so they are no real discouragement.

Matt

lottie
06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
That's just sick and I can't help thinking that those people that did this will probably never be found nor brought to justice.

Lottie :)

Sarah
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I think they have caught several of the criminals already.

hbh2oguard
06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
really I didn't hear any follow up, well that's good to hear

Carp_dm
06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Was it fishermen, as the authorities originally thought?

Papa Bear
03-10-2008, 06:00 AM
You can't protect yourself from Religious extremists or mentally Ill people, I.e, 9/11, Drive by shooters, and those who do sick things to animals to make themselves feel better!

bubbles
03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
There are so many sick people in the world today - it is bad enough we hurt each other but dolphins are defenceless animals. I wouldn't mind betting it was fisherman. I once saw a dead dolphin which had been shot on a beach in Scotland and that turned out to be fisherman!

fooddude
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
This is one of the most disgusting things I have read in quite sometime.

FYI: For those who like both dolphins and Jimmy Buffett, and have young children such as I, he wrote a children's book based on his song "Jolly Mon". The book has the same name, and it details the wonderful relationship between dolphins and humans while having a great adventure story for children.

This news story makes me sick.

FD

Papa Bear
03-10-2008, 03:02 PM
There are so many sick people in the world today - it is bad enough we hurt each other but dolphins are defenceless animals. I wouldn't mind betting it was fisherman. I once saw a dead dolphin which had been shot on a beach in Scotland and that turned out to be fisherman!

Bubbles, you can't equate Fishing and Fisherman in a way that sounds like being one creates deranged people! I know many fisherman who would never think of such a thing! I will tell you that if a person who is twisted happens to be a fisherman doesn't reflect on all the others anymore than A diver who wrecks coral means we are all coral wreckers! In a twisted mined the person might equate the Dolphins to a reduced or stolen catch? Surly not rational or maybe not sober? Buy people who eat Potatoes have car wrecks, eating potatoes doesn't cause them!

bubbles
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Didn't mean to say all fisherman have same mentality :eek: Appologies if that is how it sounded! All I meant was that it might well have been fishermen as I was told it was fishermen who shot the dolphin in Scotland and the excuse the fishermen gave was that they were indeed worried about dolphins taking their catch. I was only 9 years old at the time and the image of that dead dolphin had a deep lasting impression on me. :(