PDA

View Full Version : A bad day diving is still better then a good day at work

ldyscuba
06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm Lissa and I dive mainly on the East Coast. I have trouble finding dive buddies that can keep up with me.:confused: Ok that just want to go diving. I am a PADI/SSI open water instructor, with a speciality in just about everything. I have advanced nitrox, and i almost have my decompression diver cert. After I can catch up with the instructor and get my dive out of the way, I will be working on my trimix. I want to try various new dive places but can't find a good buddy willing to go and explore. Where are they all at? Would love to dive in So. Cali, and any other location that i haven't tried before.
I've been to the Florida keys, springs, and West Palm, Ft Lauderdale. Cooper River S.C. (have lots of great teeth to show off:) ) Been off the coat of N.C. and Virginia Wreck diving. Last but not least, Diving in the Great Lakes of Michigan, and smaller lakes.... all without a drysuit. Oh and I've been to various rivers and quarries. I live on the coast of Virginia and I'm always looking for a good dive. :D I am in the process of a career change and I will be a Oceanographer/Marine Biologist... never to late to start over.... Would love to explore a virgin wreck and have a career diving...... Better then a good day where I work.

Zero
06-17-2007, 06:20 PM
G'day and welcome aboard Lissa. Im an East Coast diver as well but just a different continent.

Matt

ldyscuba
06-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Yep your east coast is one of my dream dive places. Hopefully one day I will win the lottery and make it over your way:)

Zero
06-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Ahh who needs to win the lotto? The US dollar buys just about all of our toy money so your a millionaire when you land. And make friends so you can do it on the cheap.

Matt

lottie
06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi idyscuba. Welcome aboard.

Copying Zero - I live on the West coast (of St Lucia). Loads of great dive sites here.

if you fancy somewhere different to dive and a break from your job....let me know and I'll be your dive buddy ;)

Lottie

ldyscuba
06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks Lottie, don't be suprised if I do show up to dive.... :)

acelockco
06-19-2007, 02:00 AM
If you ever make it to eastern Pennsylvania, you are more than welcome to join us.

Sarah
06-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Lissa, welcome to our circle of scuba friends!

seasnake
06-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey from me too! I dive on the East Coast as well, just a little north of you . . .

PinayDiver
06-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi All,
I am in the process of a career change and I will be a Oceanographer/Marine Biologist... never to late to start over.... Would love to explore a virgin wreck and have a career diving...... Better then a good day where I work.

Career changes always perk me up. Tell us more? For a shot of inspiration :)

ldyscuba
06-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I am always going to eastern Pa. Would love to dive there. Never have, never have a dive buddy.

ldyscuba
06-22-2007, 08:04 PM
I was a firefighter until a back injury put me behind a desk, I hate working in an office so back to school I go to do what I've have always wanted to do. Starting over is hard but I figure i would rather be happy

acelockco
06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Great, let me know when you are going to be in PA and we can set something up. I always love showing new people the local places to dive. I usually dive at least 2 days per week.

I am self employed, so I can with enough notice dive mostly any day and any time. I dive at Willow Springs Quarry mostly as I have a season pass. I also dive at the famous Dutch Springs when I can because the visibility is AMAZING!!

By the way I also have a back injury, so you won't be alone in that dept. I broke my back in a Jet Ski accident years ago. I have metal plates in my back and all. See, now if I could just strap a wing and my tanks to the metal plates in my back.......lol

PinayDiver
06-23-2007, 03:51 AM
I was a firefighter until a back injury put me behind a desk, I hate working in an office so back to school I go to do what I've have always wanted to do. Starting over is hard but I figure i would rather be happy

You're so right. This month also marks my starting over to try my hand at becoming my own boss and the flexibility (if not the ease in load!) that affords (Ace's 2 dives a week sounds amazing compared to my 4 dives-a-month average as a then corporate denizen).

I think it's exciting that you're going to be a marine biologist! I admire them. I become a student around them. I've gone to trips arranged by Conservation International-Philippines to write about their Sulu-Sulawesi Seascape projects (biodiversity conservation as personal advocacy and all that). And in this country, law enforcement is simply part of their challenges. For example, last December, Chinese poachers were caught red-handed with 800 live fish--including over 200 Napoleon wrasses--inside the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park. Oh the uproar!

Sarah
06-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Lu-Ann, I heard the Chinese poachers got away Scott-free though?

PinayDiver
06-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Hi Sarah. The Chinese poachers had no difficulty paying more than a million (Philippine) pesos in cash bail bond. But they haven't fled the country.
The Tubbataha park manager, Angelique Songo, did receive the report that all 30 of them already had airline tickets. They were slapped with a hold-departure order in time. So they're still in Puerto Princessa, Palawan (for their hearings). She tells me that she even sees them in the palengke (wet market) and jokes that she always gets the urge to kick them where it hurts. I don't blame her!

P.S. A Napoleon Wrasse sells for as much as US$200 a kilo in Hongkong.

GirlDiver
06-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Ok...so I don't live on the East Coast of anything...out here in the Pacific Northwest. But I do DREAM of living on the east coast of MANY places....alas...one day I may be island bound!

Welcome to the board!

Sharkgal
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Lissa,
Just read your note. I'm always looking for a dive buddy too, but sounds like you enjoy the cold water, which is definitely NOT for me! :-) I won't dive in water colder than 80 without a dry suit, and when I did my dry suit certification in a spring, I froze my tail off!
How about some nice tropical waters? Maybe some sharks, rays, whales?
Most of all, nice warm water.
Anyway, look forward to chatting with a lot of you.
Have a great day and hope we are all out diving soon!

The Publisher
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Sharkgal, I'm with you.....after diving tropical in 80 degree water seeing spectacular marine life while enjoying using a thin 3mm suit, why get all geared up....

acelockco
06-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Sharkgal, I'm with you.....after diving tropical in 80 degree water seeing spectacular marine life while enjoying using a thin 3mm suit, why get all geared up....

Variety, it is always to see something new or have a change of pace. Why limit yourself to only tropical waters when the majority of the water in the world is not tropical.

lottie
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Variety is indeed the spice of life - I'm still toying with the idea of diving in the UK - something different, but not exactly warm nor 100ft viz...... :S

jingjing
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I am a PADI/SSI open water instructor, with a speciality in just about everything. I have advanced nitrox, and i almost have my decompression diver cert. After I can catch up with the instructor and get my dive out of the way, I will be working on my trimix. I want to try various new dive places but can't find a good buddy willing to go and explore. Where are they all at? Would love to dive in So. Cali, and any other location that i haven't tried before.??

acelockco
07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I want to try various new dive places but can't find a good buddy willing to go and explore. Where are they all at? Would love to dive in So. Cali, and any other location that i haven't tried before.??

Where do you live? I know there are a lot of advanced divers that could hook up with you.