PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Caribbean

lottie
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey all,
Just thought I'd introduce myself - My name's lottie, I now live in St Lucia (ex-pat from the UK) and started diving a couple of months ago just (had a bad first experience in Cairns a few years ago and thought that scuba wasn't for me....) and got my PADI OW a month ago and have loved it ever since.

Now done 4 dives since and am trying to go diving at least twice a month (hopefully more once I start getting some income coming in)...trust me to pick an expensive, but great, hobby!!!

Lottie :o)

Sarah
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi Lottie, thanks for the opening post and welcome!

dalehall
06-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Welcome.. St. Lucia is definitely on my "Wish List." Hope to make it there in the next year or two.

Zero
06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
G'day and welcome aboard Lottie. Care to enlighten us about the Cairns experience?

Matt

seasnake
06-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Love to hear about your recent dives too ...

lottie
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Zero - the Cairns experience...you really wanna know? - ok - two words - cattle boat....

After that experience, I thought thats the end of my taste of scuba, but one of my friends has been diving for years and when she came over in January and used the local resort, she said they were very good and shouldn't put one bad experience in the way of trying it again....good job I took her advice..just wish i'd taken the plunge (pun intended) sooner.

As for the experiences in St Lucia - absolutely fantastic. The dive resort staff are superb, helpful and patient. The reefs are really well preserved, loads of fish (obviously!), seen loads of cudda, butterfly fish, lobsters, cowfish, flying gurnard, fireworms...etc...etc and good viz always helps.
I dove tuesday just gone and it was a drift dive - it was okay to start off with, just floating along with the current, but then it got a bit too strong and I was drifting too far off, plus got a bit of cramp in my foot as well, but going back out next friday and maybe a couple of dives the week after that as well....

I'm going to hire out a camera in a couple of months time (I might buy one next year, but too many to choose from and I hate making decisions) and I'll post up some pics.

I'm also having a busman's holiday (as one of my friends put it) in September to St Maarten (about an hours flight north from here) to do some more diving - including a shark awareness dive, which I'm really looking forward to. Again, i'll be hiring out a camera

I don't just scuba dive over here...my parents have a guesthouse near the beach and a bar (the best bit) which isn't up and running yet and will be managed by yours truly.. :D

Does that help your curiosities?

Lottie :)

PinayDiver
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Welcome Lottie, glad you signed up. This forum needs more women!
Pass on the mixed drinks, brews, and shooters (from the bar that you will be managing) :)

Sarah
06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Pinay, I agree. Our advertising goes out to all but I do really try to get women too, besides, the guys love us, and we love them!

Lottie, sounds like you had a great time. Taking off 10 days, going diving in the tropics, what a life!

lottie
06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Lottie, sounds like you had a great time. Taking off 10 days, going diving in the tropics, what a life!

iDiveChick - If I'm reading this right, you make it sound like as though I went to St Lucia on holiday??

If that's correct, I actually live in St Lucia (and I ain't going back to the UK!!!)

Zero
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Zero - the Cairns experience...you really wanna know? - ok - two words - cattle boat....

Ahh yes the exact reason why i go overseas diving instead of the reef up north. Cheaper to head for the Solomons or Vanuatu than go to QLD and less people and restrictions. Not knocking it cause ive never tried it up there but the reports ive heard from people up there make me think twice before heading there.

Matt

seasnake
06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't just scuba dive over here...my parents have a guesthouse near the beach and a bar (the best bit) which isn't up and running yet and will be managed by yours truly.. :D

Guesthouse as in for rent? Or are you just making an open invitation to all ScubaMagazine.net users? :)

lottie
06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Guesthouse as in for rent? Or are you just making an open invitation to all ScubaMagazine.net users? :)

It's an open invitation (as long as you pay, of course. But you can have a free drink at the bar :D ).....that is if any of you guys fancy a holiday in St Lucia. Full of lush greenery, excellent weather, warm temperatures, an excellent Dive Site about 1/2 hour drive away, four beaches within a 25 mile drive radius.

Check out their website at http://www.thefarmhouse-stlucia.com

Zero
06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
But is there any RUST??:D

Matt

lottie
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Matt, you've lost me? Care to elaborate???

Sarah
06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Lottie,

I did see one page said "cribs available on request". Does that mean you pimped out one of the rooms? ;)

Looks like a nice place! :)

PinayDiver
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Matt, you've lost me? Care to elaborate???

I'm guessing Matt means wrecks (but I could be wrong) :)

BamaCaveDiver
06-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Wrecks would be my guess as well, but the real question is are there any caves in the area. "Loopie's Bar" does sound like an inviting spot ;)

Zero
06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Yep wrecks it is.

Matt

lottie
06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I take it, Matt, that RUST must either be a diving term I've never heard of before or an aussie term???

Yes, there is one wreck - The Lesleen M - According to the dive site's website, its a 165 foot freighter that was sunk in 1986 and if my memory serves me correctly it's over 60 feet in depth (hence why I haven't dove it yet - but I will)

Not sure whether there are any caves, I've not seen any publicised on any websites...but I can ask around and found out????

p.s. iDiveChick, no we haven't pimped out any of the rooms - cribs purely means that if anyone comes over with a baby (she replies acting all coy and naive) :D