PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel safer now that...

Sarah
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Do you feel safer now that Cat Stevens is on the TSA's no fly list?

Imagine the sheer horror if he broke out in the middle of a flight and started this!:

CxIT4b6b76Q

amtrosie
06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
What he has sung about, is not what he has been saying, in various interviews and more importantly, with whom he has aligned himself with.

I am going to upset alot of people here with the next thing I am going to say, but here goes. During the Vietnam War an actress by the name of Jane Fonda took it upon herself to not only speak out against the US's involvement in the war, but also went over to North Vietnam and went to various public areas and spoke out against the US. US POW's speak often to the direct affect that that visit had on their barbaric treatment. It enboldened the enemy of the US to continue it's torture of POW's, resulting in the death of many of those men. One can argue that speech is protected. My question is this "is your every word so vital to you that you must speak it, regardless of the many families that will suffer so you can speak your mind...regardless how empty that brain may be. Long term affects are often not considered in the rush to give voice to one's personal feelings. How much do my words adversly affect my fellow man? A thought that should be gravely considered before speaking out.

BillW
06-15-2007, 01:40 AM
I feel safer knowing that I won’t get stuck sitting next to him on a flight and having to bite my tongue – now if we can only get Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden banned.

BamaCaveDiver
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
What he has sung about, is not what he has been saying, in various interviews and more importantly, with whom he has aligned himself with.

I am going to upset alot of people here with the next thing I am going to say, but here goes. During the Vietnam War an actress by the name of Jane Fonda took it upon herself to not only speak out against the US's involvement in the war, but also went over to North Vietnam and went to various public areas and spoke out against the US. US POW's speak often to the direct affect that that visit had on their barbaric treatment. It enboldened the enemy of the US to continue it's torture of POW's, resulting in the death of many of those men. One can argue that speech is protected. My question is this "is your every word so vital to you that you must speak it, regardless of the many families that will suffer so you can speak your mind...regardless how empty that brain may be. Long term affects are often not considered in the rush to give voice to one's personal feelings. How much do my words adversly affect my fellow man? A thought that should be gravely considered before speaking out.

The world would be a much better, and safer place, if more folks would think about the long term impact their words can have on others. Well said amtrosie :cool:

Diverdaniel
06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
well said mate

acelockco
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
There are definately pros and cons to everything for sure. That being said, freedom of speech is a very important right in our country (USA).

Is every word so important? No, but the most important word is the one never spoken. Of course for every action (word) there is an equal and opposite reaction. That is part of life that we all have to deal with.

Good job Jane Fonda! Thankfully there are people like her that are not afraid to stand up for what they believe. Thanks for people like her that do not follow what they are told just because they are told, rather they think for and make decisions for themselves.

There are Communist governments in some countries, anyone that does not like freedom of speach can go there.

P.S. If we would have stayed out of Vietnam, there would be no POW's to worry about!

amtrosie
06-28-2007, 06:18 PM
There are definately pros and cons to everything for sure. That being said, freedom of speech is a very important right in our country (USA).

Is every word so important? No, but the most important word is the one never spoken. Of course for every action (word) there is an equal and opposite reaction. That is part of life that we all have to deal with.

Good job Jane Fonda! Thankfully there are people like her that are not afraid to stand up for what they believe. Thanks for people like her that do not follow what they are told just because they are told, rather they think for and make decisions for themselves.

There are Communist governments in some countries, anyone that does not like freedom of speach can go there.

P.S. If we would have stayed out of Vietnam, there would be no POW's to worry about!

I will not argue politics on a diving forum.

acelockco
06-28-2007, 06:56 PM
HAHA You brought it up. LOL :p

Phlocker
06-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Actually, Cat Stevens was one of the early voices of social conciousness in the late 60s and early 70's. He went a little crazy. Kinda like Hitler..:rolleyes:

acelockco
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
This all started because Cat Stevens donated some a money to Hamas. The funny thing is our own government donated money, weapons, and training to Hamas. Maybe the TSA should ban our politicians from our country!

SeaDog
07-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know if this is a forum for politics but since it was brought up. Freedom of Speech is VERY important. But celebrities who Speak out and then cry about the backlash can "Kiss my Wet Hinny". When you express your opinion on an important topic not everyone who hears it, may like it. I find it comical that the "Beautiful People" believe that their opinion matters more then most and that they can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with them, after all, they're celebrities. If you can't live with the repercussions of your own words....Shut Up

Just a Seadog's lowly opinion

acelockco
07-01-2007, 02:14 PM
So true!

Funny how important we regard our celebs. and sports hereos though. Actually it is a shame.