PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Dive Computer

liuk3
05-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Can people give their inputs in terms of recommendations for a dive computer and why? I know that this is subjective, but I enjoy hearing different people's varying opinions.

Sarah
05-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Why not preface this by telling all what type of diving you like to do, and if you need the computer to handle any future diving that is different from the type you do now.

seasnake
05-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, would need to know what type of diving you do or intend to progress to.

But for your info . . . I am currently using a Suunto Vyper and am very happy with it. Nice display and layout of menus, gives lots of good info, backlight. One complaint with it is I find sometimes you really have to press the buttons down hard to get them to work.

Zero
05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I seen a few demo versions of the Galileo Sol from Scubapro/Umatec the other day before they went to truk for some testing. Big beefy comp that seems to do just about everything and OC nitrox diver could want. Had 4 sender units to monitor 3 of your own tanks and one of your buddies, heart rate monitor and plenty of bells and whistles in side it as well. There was no issues with them as far as i know and they werent treated like eggs while there. Plenty of scratches on them on return. They arent cheap but.

Matt

liuk3
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I am a new diver looking to purchase scuba equipment. Anticipate recreational diving in southern california. I do not currently own a computer. Just wanted to hear different people's input and the reasons why they purchased their particular computer.

Sarah
05-30-2007, 09:57 PM
In that case, for recreational, get one that has a large display and a nice graphical interface.

I think the hoseless computers are really nifty and Oceanic/Aeris makes some ncie hoseless, the but the guys here will have some other good advice too.

seasnake
05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know why, but I'm not really fussy for the air integrated ones, hoseless or otherwise. I like having an analogue spg. For the display on the computer, I'd look for one with a nice large display that shows at least current depth, max depth and no deco time remaining constantly through the dive. I think a backlight is a really important feature too. And it wouldn't hurt to have one that can handle Nitrox mixes too, even if you aren't Nitrox certified yet, because you probably will be eventually. :) Then you have to decide whether you want to mount it in a console or on your wrist (I like it on my wrist. It makes ascents very easy when you can look at the computer with a raise of the arm while controlling your low pressure inflator with the other hand. I would also look for one that has user replaceable batteries, that is very handy.

What did I miss guys?

Sarah
05-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Or you could always spend $1500 for that new Oceanic mask with the built in heads up display shown in the forum here! ;)

Below is the Galileo Sol that Zero was talking about.

SeaDog
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Is there any real difference between the Cobra 2 and the Wisdom 2 and all the other computers of that style, I heard that all of them are made by the same company over sea, so the operation and "Most" functions are the same....any truth to that? or am I way out in left field.:confused:

seasnake
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I have noticed that a lot of computers from different manufacturers "look" the same ... like same casing and often times similar display. I was noticing that again just this past weekend between a suunto and an oceanic. At first glance they appeared to be the same computer: same colour, same basic case design, etc.
*shrug*

World Wide Diver
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Hmmm!

It's like this: I assume that if you want to buy a computer (first one) then you are probably fairly new to diving.

Therefore buying a trimix/tech compatible computer is a waste of cash (unless you want to waste your money/flash it off to impress non-divers).

Buying Suunto is a good investment. Suunto make computers with very safe algorithms and clear, easy to read displays.

I agree that the Suunto Vyper is a great dive computer (I have used one for 5 years without any problems - and just 2 batteries on 1500 dives).

Suunto manufactures what are also widely regarded as the most conservative dive computers:- they keep you safe as long as you follow them.

However, all computers will keep you safe as long as you understand them and follow them.

WWD

Hoges in WA
06-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I've been considering the Suunto too - there are a regular number of Suunto D9 appearing on eBay for around $1,100 to $1,200 us. Does anyone already use a D9 and if so just how good are they?

Diverdaniel
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
hey gang :)
well, as for computers, the most user friendly that i can think of are the SUUNTO dive computers. the ones that are integrated in to watches (Spyder, Mosquito, Stinger, D6 and D9), not just SUUNTO's any watch intergated computer could umm get broken by mistake, not on a dive but on an everyday task, like replacing a spare tire on ones car, falling in the shower or whatever...
on the otherhand, the computers that are situated in the rubber boots, hold better when hit, mostly they also have a plastic protective screen that protects them from scratches, they are also bigger, have more userfreindly displays, in this one i would definately prefer SUUNTO's, GEKKO, VYPER1+2, VYTEC
the Combo computers could be a hassle, i wouldnt trust a computer to tell me my gas ammount in any situation. the handworn big ones can be integrated in to the modular combos at a later stage. just not connected to the gas suply.
the new SUUNTO's have the full or 50% RGBM modes w/Deep stops, thats a plus in my eyes, so do most of the other brands in the market i think.

to choose a computer, it depends, it was said in here by others, your goals.
my first computer was a VYPER, had it for over 4 years almost 2000 dives and one battery replacement, i only sold it to get a VYTEC, i regret that now :) i didnt know i would move on to trimix so fast :) and i got a VR3 hehe, should have kept the VYPER for a bottom timer and skipped buying the VYTEC :D although we dive useing tables, the puter is a saftey net. all depends on where you wish to get to and how long it will take, i wouldnt buy a TriMix puter when im not a technical diver yet.
about the D9, i wouldn't buy one it's too delicate and once they go, have you got a spare timepiece on yourself?
i type too much.. sorry.
just drop me a prvt msg if you like.
good diving all

Hoges in WA
06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks - that's a balloon-popper but you make a lot of sense. I think I've been getting excited by the techo aspects and minimising the practical application. I think I'll hold off on the bidding for a while.

PinayDiver
06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
As a newly certified diver then, the dive shop recommended a Suunto Mosquito. Within a few months, the unit I purchased, for no apparent reason, conked out on me. Because I was about to leave for a week-long liveaboard, the proprietor lent me another Mosquito while mine (under warranty) was shipped overseas for repair.

Then on the very first dive, I discovered that the Mosquito-on-loan didn't work either (what are the chances!). I spent the rest of the multi-day, multi-dive trip simply staying at the same (if not slightly higher) level underwater as our DM. Imagine not being able to calibrate on your own especially when there's, say, a ray in a crevice that needs you to descend a little bit longer.

Eventually (it took longer than a month if I remember right), I got my Mosquito back, and six years later, all it needed since was the occasional change of batteries. Being a purely recreational diver, I have not really felt the need to change this model for another.

It's all so random, I tell ya :) So, for the new diver about to commit to the model of his choice, also make sure that your shop (mine did try) goes the extra mile for those "just in case..." moments that are bound to happen.

Diverdaniel
06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
i cannot but fully agree PinayDiver :)

santelmo
06-14-2007, 02:54 AM
how much is a Suunto Stinger nowadays (stainless strap w/ free rubber strap)?? both brand new and 2nd hand (slightly used)??? :o :)

what about a brand new suunto mosquito?

Sarah
06-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Stingers are $500-$600, and Mosquito's can be had for $250-$350, both on E-bay.

But of course you don't get service or help on programming with mail order.

santelmo
06-14-2007, 04:26 AM

phrenicnerve
06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I have this dilemma right now as well! :confused:

All the DM's I have gone diving with use a Cobra. Even in Fiji the DM's used a Cobra. It is not mentioned here. Why? Is it because it is air integrated? I hadn't thought of this issue, but understand why it could be a problem. I can't say they don't malfunction. I have been on a dive where the DM's Cobra did malfunction and became useless. Fortunately it was at the end of the dive, and he uses backups. This issue isn't something I have heard many complaints about though. Others have said they have used their Cobra for years without issue.

Also I do not own my own regulator. Do dive shops frown on needing to attach a Cobra to their regulators?

I have decided on Suunto but which one? I was thinking a Cobra w/SK7 compass attachment.

1- Cobra
2 - Vyper
3- Mosquito
4 - Stinger

All of these would work proper for my purposes I think. Is air integration the main difference?

PinayDiver
06-14-2007, 06:37 PM
how much is a Suunto Stinger nowadays (stainless strap w/ free rubber strap)?? both brand new and 2nd hand (slightly used)??? :o :)

what about a brand new suunto mosquito?

Santelmo: At the shop I patronize (in Makati), the Mosquito sells for Php22,000 while the Stinger, for Php33,000

Diverdaniel: Thanks for the Ah-men :)

Diverdaniel
06-25-2007, 03:58 AM
I have this dilemma right now as well! :confused:

All the DM's I have gone diving with use a Cobra. Even in Fiji the DM's used a Cobra. It is not mentioned here. Why? Is it because it is air integrated? I hadn't thought of this issue, but understand why it could be a problem. I can't say they don't malfunction. I have been on a dive where the DM's Cobra did malfunction and became useless. Fortunately it was at the end of the dive, and he uses backups. This issue isn't something I have heard many complaints about though. Others have said they have used their Cobra for years without issue.

Also I do not own my own regulator. Do dive shops frown on needing to attach a Cobra to their regulators?

I have decided on Suunto but which one? I was thinking a Cobra w/SK7 compass attachment.

1- Cobra
2 - Vyper
3- Mosquito
4 - Stinger

All of these would work proper for my purposes I think. Is air integration the main difference?

Phrenicnerve mate,

again, Cobra's are nice, but do you have a spare SPG on your reg?
some diveshops mostly dont like the hassle of connecting your cobra to their regs, depends on the diveshop though. the SK-7 = great compass, have one for years now, integrated? i dunno, it could be nice on the way that it is not on your hand, connected to your console... on the other hand, what happens if your console gets hit by something? waightbelt....car door..... another tank..... seen it happen, + you got to know/get used to reading a hose attached compass, personally i find it uncomfortable. i prefer all my guages hand srapped, but, i think the best way for you to find out is just try diving both ways, then, take the goods and bads from all, and then make your choice depending on what suits YOU the most :)

i wish you luck man :)
choosing a computer is a difficult thing, i have stated my views about this earlier on : )
again,
good luck mate :)

Daniel

acelockco
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Liuk3

Obviously there are a lot of choices out there. I faced the same thing WAYYYYYYYYY back when I bought my first computer. Funny thing is I am still using it now. To be honest though, I have been searching for a new computer to finally replace it, but only because I am going to get into some gas diving.

Anyway the computer I use is a Oceanic Prodigy. It is the most basic "hockey puck" style computers out there. The old hockey puck computers are able to be mounted in multiple locations so what ever you like is OK, and you can change your mind and keep your computer. They are built like a tank and have user replaceable batteries.

Now they are basic, no air integration and mine does not even do nitrox :( BUT they can be had for next to nothing and will keep you safe for recreational diving. I think I saw a few going for between $75 and $100 on ebay. For that price it makes great sense, as you can dive with it now, and when you are ready to upgrade you can sell it or use it as a great back-up computer.

NOW, that computer that Zero was talking about sounds insanely amazing, but I am sure it is about $2000, plus additional for each of the hoseless transmitters. It can probablly do everything except clean your dive gear for you as well, BUT I think it would be way overkill for a new diver. Get something easy to use, and enjoy your dive.

phrenicnerve
06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Right on. Thank you for the input. I bought a Cobra w/SK-7 attached. The console actually keeps the SK-7 level while your reading the Cobra which is nice. I hear you on attaching an extra SPG. Suunto consoles do allow you to do this if you want. After studying the manual and the recommended safety steps to take if the Cobra fails, an extra SPG would be the key to maximizing safety stop time before surfacing (deeper dives). And a wrist watch would help complete covering the other bases. I have to admit I really like playing around with electronics so I am having fun with this before I am even taking it down for a dive. Very easy to use actually. I am still waiting for the PC software.

:)

Diverdaniel
06-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Happy you are happy :)
enjoy and dive safely mate.

Melberic
06-25-2008, 05:48 AM
heh go for a VR3, there £680:eek: for the base model and fully upgradeable to trimix semi closed and closed rebreather

and there sexy:D

BillGraham
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the common thread here is to buy a computer with greater capability than you need right now if you plan on going further in diving.

It doesn't make much sense to save a couple of hundred dollars and then have to replace the computer in a year or two when you want to do advanced nitrox, trimix or CCR diving.

I bought a Nitek 3 in the late nineties, it was way more computer than I needed at the time, and I still use it nearly ten years later.

I've also got a VR3 and ended up upgrading that to the CCR/Trimix features.

I recently had a chance to check out the new Liquivision computer and that looks really nice.

TravellinThru
01-27-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm not sure of the protocol on this board, so I'll go with trying to resuscitate this thread, rather than starting a new one.

I'm a recreational diver, I've been certified for almost a year, I have 50 dives in the Philippines. I am looking for a good, inexpensive dive computer to buy before a trip to Hawaii in April 2009. I have focused in on the Suunto Gekko because I hear Suunto makes good, solid (they'll last) dive computers. I have seen one and I can read the letters (important as my eyes fossilize:(), and I've seen a price of $205.

The biggest negative I've seen is that it doesn't have a back light, it is phosphorescent. How big a negative is that?

What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

acelockco
01-30-2009, 06:29 AM
What do y'all think about other inexpensive dive computers? About the Gekko?

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Regards,
Bob

It's just a basic inexpensive dive computer.

I would recommend a Dive Rite NiTek Duo which is also available under a few other names. It is inexpensive, but is made well and does everything you really need a computer to do.

shinek
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Been using Suunto Vypers for a number of years and have no issues with it. I use a wrist mounted version, but my other half has hers on her console. Easy to use, reliable, can change the battery yourself and has Nitrox capability, PC connection etc. Not sure how it compares price wise to the Gekko, my guess is a little more expensive.

Only slight question is that it appears conservative when compared to other computers being used by some of my dive buddies. I assume the Gekko will have similar, if not identical, software and so would perform in a similar way.

Not a problem as such, in fact, some might prefer it. I have just had a couple of instances, on multiple dive days, when towards the end of the 3rd dive I am hanging around at 30ft watching some of the group still enjoying the reef at 45 or 50ft. Not a major issue, but thought I'd mention it to see if others had similar experiences.

Tracy
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone

Im a recreational diver, im thinking about th eoceanic atom air int - anyone have any opinions on it ? Whats the computer interface like?

The Publisher
02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
You can't go wrong with just about anything from Oceanic. I know it uses a USB cable and supplied software to interface to your computer.