PDA

View Full Version : Solo Divers thread removed?

CrazyHead
05-29-2007, 04:17 PM
There used to be a separate area in here for Solo Divers, was it banned?

Sarah
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
There has been no banning of any solo divers thread.....wherever the best category it would be under is where all are welcome to start solo discussions.

I am not sure if that would go under Basic Scuba Discussions or Technical Diving. I think probably under Basic.

dearkinson
10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I want to know your opinion or take a dive solo. I know this is a hot topic and is not supported during the year, but I would like to hear from divers who have done a few solo dives and get your comments on the security aspect, and if you personally feel that it is ok.

Okeanos
10-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I want to know your opinion or take a dive solo. I know this is a hot topic and is not supported during the year, but I would like to hear from divers who have done a few solo dives and get your comments on the security aspect, and if you personally feel that it is ok.
I have completed around 2,500 solo dives, I also teach SDI's Solo diving course.

acelockco
10-20-2010, 01:50 AM
I also have done some semi solo diving on numerous occasions. I say semi solo because I do start the dive with a dive buddy but we go our own way, but it is a rather confined area and shallow water.

Personally I like the idea of solo diving, of course with training and the correct equipment.

lars2923
10-20-2010, 10:44 PM
You can have all the redundant equipment, know how to use it, take actions accordingly and come home many many times. I solo dive as well. I prefer it.
I bet 80% of divers (I don't know the real number, I'm trying to stress a point)dive solo in one form or another. Next time you're diving, watch other 'pairs' of divers and see how often they check on each other, how often they check their guages, come up together, dive within arms reach, etc..
It boils down to accepting there will be no one to assist you in time of need. Not fearing death or dwell on it.
I am happy to read you are interested in solo diving and that you are looking for instruction on the art/techique of solo diving. The Instructor is your foundation. Make sure you seek the best one and practice the Standard Operating Procedures taught to you. They will serve as the foundation for the reason why you come home after every dive.

Dive Safe,
Lars

charmimn
03-05-2011, 03:15 AM
So usually what does one learn in a Solo Diver class? I am thinking redundant air source(s), gear setups, situational awareness and issue solving.Is there more?

Charon
03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
So usually what does one learn in a Solo Diver class? I am thinking redundant air source(s), gear setups, situational awareness and issue solving.Is there more?

Yep - there is a lot more. What dives not to take solo, essential navigational skills, for a couple. Get the SDI Solo Diver Training Manual. It's a good beginning to get an understanding of what is involved. Then take the course.

I dive almost exclusively solo. I value the freedom to go at my own pace. And when I have dived with a buddy or group with a DM I would have had to depend on myself completely anyway.

I sure would like to have the solo forum back. Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. That's a shame because SDI has pointed out some very important flaws in the "buddy system" and some very good reasons to be self sufficient. It also appears that other certification agencies are moving toward offering a solo course.

acelockco
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Charon;19922Having solo threads mixed in with other stuff it's just too easy to miss something. Perhaps that's the object - discourage even talking about it. [/QUOTE]

That is not the case, there never was a separate solo diving area. As of this point there have not been enough posts on solo diving to warrant it's own area of the forum. We surely are not discouraging solo diving (with appropriate training) or talking about it for sure.

If in the future solo diving becomes a prominent topic, then I am sure we can add it's own section.

The Publisher
03-06-2011, 02:57 AM
To add to Ace's commentary, we never gave it much thought as when I used to dive open circuit locally, 95% of the time I would dive solo and I did that for over 20 years.

It just does not seem to be that uncommon, that revolutionary or that controversial. If enough divers disagreed and wanted a separate forum and would use it, then that can changed. :)

Charon
03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Aceloco and Publisher,

You are both right. The solo discussion posts are sparse and many/most divers solo, at least ocassionally - even if they are not aware of it. It's only an issue with a relatively few (perhaps) old school people. I just tend to overreact when the naysayers blow smoke in the face of modern equipment, training, and techniques.

The Publisher
03-07-2011, 03:55 PM
This reminds me of when I see all the "specialty" training courses like for drysuits. I was diving drysuits 30 years ago and there was no such thing as drysuit training. You were a diver, you had half a brain, and you knew what to do because you gave it some thought and used common sense.

Nowdays there are specialty course like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.

acelockco
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I have to confess, I just don't get it,

It's all about making money.

Okeanos
03-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Nowdays there are specialty courses like "peak performance buoyancy" and "manta ray awareness specialty"....I have to confess, I just don't get it, although I am in favor of any course that keeps divers connected in some fashion.

Don't forget the DSMB specialty :)

Half the divers I know dive solo as do many/most Tec & CCR divers. Photographers usually end up diving solo. Divemasters dive solo with no solo training, a lot of commercial diving is done solo with surface support only.

I could talk solo all day :D

The Publisher
03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Don't forget the DSMB specialty :)D

That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!

Okeanos
03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
That is apparently such a specialty that is so special, I have never even heard of it!
Then, you haven't lived :D:D

http://www.amdivers.co.uk/DSMB.html
http://www.dreamdiversltd.co.uk/padi-courses/other-services/dsmb-reel-course/
http://www.divemasterscuba.com/dms/training/specialities/dsmb.htm

acelockco
03-09-2011, 03:04 AM
I am not trying to get anyone upset or start a fight, but I really feel if someone needed to take one of those courses then maybe diving isn't for them. I would personally consider something more on par with my learning level....like checkers or uno.

The Publisher
03-09-2011, 03:36 AM
This reminds me of DIR Internet Diver wannabees who actually have never attended real DIR JJ inspired DIR training who say nothing of fin design and style....

So to poke fun at the posers I remember once posting on the Internet how I was the leader of the new, REAL DIR Philosophy where to be DIR, o-rings had to be of a certain durometer and composition, that masks straps had to be of a certain radius and length and material....that mask defogger had to be of a specific composition in a bottle of a uniform size and shape, and the draw tube of the mask defogger spray had to be made of a particular HDPE, and DIR training specified that gel defogger was not DIR, only pump spray defoggers with a uniform 5 grams of delivery based upon volume, not weight, was DIR, and...ok, so you get the idea of the fun I had with it....

So if people want to go get training on peak performance fin technology, and split-fin finning technique hucksterism specialty, more power to em! :D

acelockco
03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
So if people want to go get training on peak performance fin technology, and split-fin finning technique hucksterism specialty, more power to em! :D

That is not a good way to look at it. In fact, it is really bad for all of us. By taking such remedial courses, the dive training agencies are seeing that the learning level of divers is extremely low. They then make more of the courses remedial, and eventually the entire operation is so basic that there really is nothing to learn.

I remember the days when the majority of dive classes were extremely serious and difficult, but we learned how to be the best divers we could be. Now, even if you can't spell your name they will hold your hand, get you though the course, hand you a C-card and sign you up for an "advanced" class.....as long as you have the money that is.

Okeanos
03-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I could talk all day about specialties. I teach SDI/TDI and we have some fun course like Solo or UW Hunter & Collector. I've had people ask me why we have a course for collecting scallops etc. I tell them I collect 200 scallops an hour on average, would they like to know how?

I throw the DSMB in with OW or AOW if the OW wasn't 'easy' for them.

The Publisher
03-10-2011, 12:50 AM
I could talk all day about specialties. I teach SDI/TDI and we have some fun course like Solo or UW Hunter & Collector. I've had people ask me why we have a course for collecting scallops etc. I tell them I collect 200 scallops an hour on average, would they like to know how?

I throw the DSMB in with OW or AOW if the OW wasn't 'easy' for them.

What is the main thrust of a scallop hunter specialty, get a bigger lift bag and pry bar?! lol ;)

Okeanos
03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
pry bar?! lol ;)
To pry them out of the sand? You must have different scallops over there :)

The Publisher
03-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Oh yes, that sand can be murder! lol. Right now I am trying to figure out how I can incorporate scallops into this line:

"The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?"

Yes, all the ones here are quite affixed to things.

Okeanos
03-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Oh yes, that sand can be murder! lol. Right now I am trying to figure out how I can incorporate scallops into this line:

"The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?"

Yes, all the ones here are quite affixed to things.
Our scallops can't fly and we don't find them on land either! :D:D:D