PDA

View Full Version : TSA Establishes No Humor Zones

The Publisher
05-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Enjoy the photo.

Zero
05-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Your joking right?
May as well say that the terrorist have won right now and be done with it. They are restricting our free lifestyle. People are scared to travel and do normal everyday things they did in years gone by. Let them go i say. Blow a few planes up and cause chaos and destruction. Kill a heap of people but you can never take away the spirit of those people. Life does go on. If they see that it doesnt work what they are doing they will soon stop.

Matt

The Publisher
05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Matt,

I believe that Al-Qaeda's intent was to cause economic disruption and each and every person who boards a plane now pays for the knee-jerk reactions of those that impose security theater.

I once was at the final boarding terminal booth getting a seat changed and I was making small talk with the woman and I mentioned it was "...a waste of time for the security people to check an Apple laptop computer for explosives because no Apple user would ever blow up an Apple laptop."

The point of the joke being Apple laptop owners are so protective of such a coveted computer that even a dedicated terrorist would not cross the line of harming an Apple computer.

Nowhere in that is the type of joke that could be construed as inappropriate and crossing the line in a hyper-sensitive scenario, but you guessed it, she almost came apart at the seams.

The only airline that has any meaningful security are the Isreali's who in defense of their citizens engage in profiling.

The opening post sign is real.

"They that would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin, United States Founding Father

amtrosie
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Zero,

I could not disagree more! To mockingly joke or reference illegal or illicit behavior in front of the very individuals charged with the protection of you and your fellow passengers is just juvenile. I have witnessed an individual joke about having illegal items, and the local authority search every article in his (and his parties) possessions. Note: lest you think the Yanks have lost all sense of humor, this was in a third world country. We walk into a airport/train,etc. terminal, EXPECTING to be safe, and when the unthinkable becomes fact, look about and and demand accountability from those charged with our security.

We live in world where our very existance is reason enough for another to seek to eliminate it. Intolerance has become common place. A little restraint is not an unreasonable expectation.

Zero
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
In October 2001 i was on a plane back from The Solomons when on final approach the young guy next to me that had been quiet the whole flight bumped my shoulder and says excuse me, while reaching into his pocket and pulling out a pocket knife, what should i do with this? Before boarding this same flight i was pulled up at the xray booth and told to show the contents of my carry on bag. They had seen a film canister in it that id put all my 20 cent coins to stop them rattling around. They made me open it and pull all the coins out then let me put them back and on my way. The whole point is the security arent going to stop someone that is determined to get something on a plane. Ceramic knives are available and undectable to just about everything but a pat down. Chemicals are available that can be turned explosive as they pass through your digestive system. Some nut case with enough money could even charter or hire a plane if they wanted. Where does it all end?
I might not agree with what you say but id fight to the death for the right for you to say it.

Matt

Diver Dennis
05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
These signs have been around for a number of years. If a person is stupid enough to joke about bombs or blowing up a plane, I don't want them on my flight anyway...;)

Sarah
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
You have to have less than 5 brain cells to make those sort of jokes, so DiveDennis, I agree, but then again, there are all sorts of weird people on planes I'd rather not be on, especially the ones with screaming kids.

amtrosie
05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Some nut case with enough money could even charter or hire a plane if they wanted. Where does it all end?
I might not agree with what you say but id fight to the death for the right for you to say it.

Matt

And should he charter his own plane, he takes himself and whom ever he brings on the plane with him. That would include the flight crew, if the aircraft was large enough. That, is not really part of this issue.

Freedom of speech is another matter all together. It's purpose is to allow others to critical of the sitting goverment, with out the fear of reprisal. For an individual to make a threat, in jest or not, is not exercising free speech. It is rather, demonstrating irrational speech or just stupidity. Endangering anothers life is not our right or privilege.

Zero
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Freedom of speech is another matter all together. It's purpose is to allow others to critical of the sitting goverment, with out the fear of reprisal. For an individual to make a threat, in jest or not, is not exercising free speech. It is rather, demonstrating irrational speech or just stupidity. Endangering anothers life is not our right or privilege.

Irrational speech or stupidity to you may be logical to someone else. While it may be stupid to joke about it free speech is denied if you cant say it. Making a joke hardly endangers a life. Do you really think a guy with a bomb strapped to him is going to be joking around? Hes got one thing on his mind and thats completing what hes there to do. Kill maim or injure as many people as possible for whatever cause.

Matt

BamaCaveDiver
06-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I have to disagree Matt, I do not know of anyone who could ever put together a logical argument for shouting fire in a crowded theater (creating a panic where there is no real emergency.) An individual's rights only extend to that point at which they interfere with the rights of others. It is an individual's right to consume as much alcohol as they like, but they do not have the right to endanger others through their actions by operating a vehicle while drunk on public highways. They can go run into as many trees on private property as they would like, but they cannot infringe upon the safety and comfort of others.

The airport rules about joking have been in place long before terrorists ever threatened our shores. I can vividly recall back in the early 70's being warned by airport security that saying hello to our friend "Jack" anywhere on the airport property would result in our immediate arrest as a group of us prepared top board our flight to basic training. There are idiots out there who think it funny to see people react, but they do not think about the negative impact their jokes can have in crowded places where panic sets in quickly and spreads uncontrollably. Many times these security personell are hearing just bits and pieces of the jokes as they attempt to scan as much as what is being said in their area as is possible. These individuals are charged with our safety and that means taking all words heard as serious threats and uncovering the details after that safety has been ensured.

Let's face it, the folks who shout fire in a crowd, yell Hi Jack on board an airliner, etc, are seeking a reaction from those around them. Why then are they so surpirsed when that reaction turns out to be handcuffs and a ride to the nearest detention facility? These idiots are seeking the same disruption of normal activity that the terrorists seek, just not at the same level.

divetiger
06-01-2007, 04:39 PM
I have to disagree Matt, I do not know of anyone who could ever put together a logical argument for shouting fire in a crowded theater (creating a panic where there is no real emergency.) An individual's rights only extend to that point at which they interfere with the rights of others. It is an individual's right to consume as much alcohol as they like, but they do not have the right to endanger others through their actions by operating a vehicle while drunk on public highways. They can go run into as many trees on private property as they would like, but they cannot infringe upon the safety and comfort of others.

The airport rules about joking have been in place long before terrorists ever threatened our shores. I can vividly recall back in the early 70's being warned by airport security that saying hello to our friend "Jack" anywhere on the airport property would result in our immediate arrest as a group of us prepared top board our flight to basic training. There are idiots out there who think it funny to see people react, but they do not think about the negative impact their jokes can have in crowded places where panic sets in quickly and spreads uncontrollably. Many times these security personell are hearing just bits and pieces of the jokes as they attempt to scan as much as what is being said in their area as is possible. These individuals are charged with our safety and that means taking all words heard as serious threats and uncovering the details after that safety has been ensured.

Let's face it, the folks who shout fire in a crowd, yell Hi Jack on board an airliner, etc, are seeking a reaction from those around them. Why then are they so surpirsed when that reaction turns out to be handcuffs and a ride to the nearest detention facility? These idiots are seeking the same disruption of normal activity that the terrorists seek, just not at the same level.

Well said BCD.

Zero
06-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I dont want to get into arguement over difference of opinions with anyone but that sign doesnt say anything about terrorists or bombs or general chaos it simply states no jokes. I just wish the world was a more peaceful place where you could have fun and not at others expense.

Matt

BamaCaveDiver
06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I dont want to get into arguement over difference of opinions with anyone but that sign doesnt say anything about terrorists or bombs or general chaos it simply states no jokes. I just wish the world was a more peaceful place where you could have fun and not at others expense.

Matt

I think we all wish the same thing Matt, but reality shows us that there are those who derive their pleasure from seeing others panic. You are absolutely right, those signs are aimed at idiots, not terrorists. Terrorists want to maintain a low profile and not draw attention to themselves, while the idiots want to see how far they can bend the rules before they get caught. Reality also tells us that the more time these agents have to spend policing the actions of idiots, the less time they will have to devote to sniffing out real dangers to protect us from. I wish people would simply think through all of the consequences of their actions prior to initiaing such stunts, but unfortunately reality also tells us that this is likely to never happen. However, posting the signs may stop the wannabes from moving up into the ranks of the truly stupid.

Zero
06-03-2007, 09:47 AM
However, posting the signs may stop the wannabes from moving up into the ranks of the truly stupid.

For the trully stupid watch Sydney around September. We have the APEC conferance here and theres about 20 world leaders here for it. Every nutcase and their dog will be here. Them signs will need to be plastered everywhere. Sydney has been given a public holiday for the Friday its on and everyones being encouraged to get out of the city so all the rent a crowd will be out in force protesting something.

Matt

PinayDiver
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Sounds familiar. Late last year, the announcement that the 12th ASEAN summit was going to be held in Cebu City was followed by the usual measures: armed airport men behind one-way glass, ridiculously overpriced street lighting (this eventually made front page as a case of pockets being lined), four-day (not counting the weekend!) holiday for schools and government offices in three cities, inconvenient road blockage and rerouting, etc. etc.
Then just a week before the summit, another announcement -- postponement of the gathering-of-leaders for another two months due to...nope, not an uncovered plot by rebels or terrorists but by...a coming storm. And so the madness had to go on a little while longer.