PDA

View Full Version : Allergic Reaction

divetiger
05-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi, I've new to diving and just finished my last closed water dive. Odd thing was I wore a shorty supplied by the class, and the next day, I had a rash everywhere the wetsuit touched. Luckaly, I was wearing a swimsuit, but still had some itching. It's been a week and it's almost cleared up. I'm highly alergic to mold, but it could have been a reaction to whatever the shop cleaned the suit with.

Anyone else had this problem?

Sarah
05-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I have heard of neoprene allergies before.

To rule it out, talk to the shop and ask them if they use a disinfectant, and if so, what brand.

Then ask them if they have a suit that has not beeen treated. Then if you can ask to try a unused suit in their pool. Then try a different suit at a different pool. Then try taking an antihistamine like Benadryl or even a prescription antihistamine like Zyrtec prior to wetsuit use.

Keep working on the process of elimination. You can have a dermatologist do a PATCH (not scratch) test for skin allergies to neoprene. Sometimes it is the accelerants in the neoprene, other times in the glue.

Neoprene supposedly comes in 4 types G,W,A and T if rumor has it right type it's G type that does not use an accelerator in the curing process but the adhesive used to bind together for wetsuits may use an accelerator.

I have heard of some slathering themselves down in Vaseline 1st, or if you dive in temperate waters, just get a drysuit, you'll be more comfortable anyway.

Below is a photo of an allergy from accelerants used in a wetsuit boot. Image Bruce Miller.

divetiger
05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks DiveChick. I know it's not neoprene because I've worn wetsuits before. At least its not the types they were made of. Interesting, I didn't know about the different types.

At least one thing was confirmed by this experience. I'll be better off with my own equipment because I'll know how it's been maintained.

hbh2oguard
06-04-2007, 06:36 AM
owning your own stuff is critical because rental gear is always questionable. I know between each rental the wetsuits are usually required to be cleaned with a special soap which is a likely cause of the irritation.

seasnake
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
ha ha ... that tip reminded me of years ago when my buddy heard that same tip and suggested we try it next time out ... quite a sight to see two guys just offshore in a little boat coating themselves in vaseline ... the people living along the shore were certainly curious ... lol

BamaCaveDiver
06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Just a note here, vaseline is not water soluble and may cause harm to rubber products like latex and neoprene. If you need to lubricate your suit you are much better off going with something like KY jelly or tire talc. Cheap hair conditioner also works pretty well. I will with hold comment regarding the two guys being seen lubing up...:eek:

Phlocker
06-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Just be careful before taking anything like Benadryl before diving. It seems to affect people in different ways. Some it doesn't affect at all, but it can knock others off their butts. And you don't want to get Narc'd before you get wet.

On the other hand. You may just have a reaction to other peoples Urine..LOL:D

acelockco
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I know they are supposed to wash these between rentals, but really I doubt this happens much if ever! I am sure all of the rental suits out there have pee in them from previous users. Do your self a huge favor and get your own wet suit or dry suit.

divetiger
06-29-2007, 03:34 AM
Already got my own now, but thanks for the reply! I talked to my instructor about it and he did say that the storeroom stays very humid, so it was probabbly mold.

acelockco
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Nice, so what did you get?