PDA

View Full Version : Cam Bag

santelmo
05-16-2007, 08:03 AM
what kind/ brand of bag do you use to carry and protect your cam and other photography equipments?

has anyone heard of Crumpler Bags? http://www.crumplerbags.com/

Sarah
05-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Many use specialized backpacks, but the crumpler site, although funny, is a pain in the rear to navigate!

Zero
05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Pelican Cases
http://pelican.com/home.php
Not warranted for shark bite bear attacks or kids under 5 so pretty much indestructable and if they do break they always back you up. Had a mate break a handle on one that was 10 years old and they replaced it without question.

Matt

Diver Dennis
05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I travel a lot so I use Lowepro, http://www.lowepro.com/. My housing and all my dive gear go into checked luggage.

Zero
05-30-2007, 11:17 AM
The other alternate if your carrying your cameras is just a nondescript backpack with a bit of foam padding. They work well and dont have expensive cameras inside labelled all over them. Some crooks do their research to and know what they are looking for. If they just see some ratty old backpack they might pass you over for the next person.

Matt

allisonfinch
06-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I used to use a pelican 1510, but it got a tad small. I now use a Seahorse case that is very similar to the Pelican, but larger and somewhat lighter. It is legal carry-on and I have had no trouble getting it on a plane. It is a rolling case, which is essential. Since it is a hard case, I can use it as a seat whenever you are standing around too long.
On a few occasions, I almost got a hernia getting it into the overhead trying to make it look like the 15 pound limit most carriers require. It comes nowhere close to that, I can assure you!
The few times I had to gate check it, I was never worried about heavy stuff landing on top of it. I can't say I would be that happy with a soft case under those circumstances.
I use the padded dividers that came with my 1510. They are smaller, but I pack my tray and arms along the edges.
I love it!!

Zero
06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
On a few occasions, I almost got a hernia getting it into the overhead trying to make it look like the 15 pound limit most carriers require. It comes nowhere close to that, I can assure you!

No!!:eek: You dont do that too? The best thing with hard cases that a jammed full of gear is it doesnt show through like a soft case with the seams about to burst.

Matt

amtrosie
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
No!!:eek: You dont do that too? The best thing with hard cases that a jammed full of gear is it doesnt show through like a soft case with the seams about to burst.

Matt

I can not begin to tell you the myriad times I have had to fix/repair, or just replace overhead bins that have been destroyed from people trying to fit a 50 lbs. bag in a bin capable of holding 25 lbs. As long as you place it in the bin DIRECTLY over your seat, go for it!! As for a case.....the tougher and stronger it is, the better. The Ramp Monkeys have an annoying habit of being very destructive. They have made destroying baggage an art form.

Zero
06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I tend to go without the leg room cause there to heavy to lift.

Matt

allisonfinch
07-07-2007, 03:39 AM
Here are some pictures to show the size difference between the Pelican 1510 and the Seahorse case.
The Seahorse is perfect for my new DSLR rig. I use the 1510 dividers which gives me plenty of room around the edges for my tray and arms.

allisonfinch
11-12-2007, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=amtrosie;4366]I can not begin to tell you the myriad times I have had to fix/repair, or just replace overhead bins that have been destroyed from people trying to fit a 50 lbs. bag in a bin capable of holding 25 lbs.

WAAAAA!!!!!!!!

BTW, my sister is a captain for United Airlines and she assures me that the bins a built for more than 25 lbs. Repairs often are needed for normal wear and tear, as well as "abuse".

amtrosie
11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=amtrosie;4366]I can not begin to tell you the myriad times I have had to fix/repair, or just replace overhead bins that have been destroyed from people trying to fit a 50 lbs. bag in a bin capable of holding 25 lbs.

WAAAAA!!!!!!!!

BTW, my sister is a captain for United Airlines and she assures me that the bins a built for more than 25 lbs. Repairs often are needed for normal wear and tear, as well as "abuse".

I'll not comment on the assurances of an individual who does not see the direct affects of over weight objects in these bins. Can the weight limit be exceeded? Yes, to a degree. But not in the excess that the overheads are stressed to more and more. (I have maintained aircraft for 29 years, and have seen far too much excess)

As for your cases, have you had any issues with the stickers "attracting" undue attention from unscrupulous individuals?

acelockco
11-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Guess it is time for the airlines to make a decision. Either get lots of replacement parts and have amtrosie fix them all of the time or they can upgrade the hardware and even have amtrosie install it. The reason I say this is because I have seen 100's of lbs shoved into the overhead compartments on every flight I have been in. In fact, I am sure I have put in at least 35 lbs in my carry on alone, along with the 4 other bags shoved in there next to mine.

Reality is reality.

allisonfinch
11-17-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't worry about the stickers attracting "unscrupulous" peoples' attention since the bag doesn't leave my protection. On those occasions where it is gate checked, it has cable ties to discourage pilfering. The bags are loaded right there and there is little time for theft.

BTW, look at all that abusive damage to overhead compartments as job security.:D