PDA

View Full Version : Manatee dive recommendations?

Sarah
05-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I am checking into doing some diving with manatees in Crystal Springs Florida around November this year.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on which outfits to look into, where the best visibility is to be had in case we do some HD underwater video, where to avoid the crowds, etc.

WreckDiver
05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
I am checking into doing some diving with manatees in Crystal Springs Florida around November this year.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on which outfits to look into, where the best visibility is to be had in case we do some HD underwater video, where to avoid the crowds, etc.

Rent a pontoon boat and drive over to 3 sisters spring head. the pilings are across the entrance so the only way in is to swim, thats the good part.
put the parking hook in the sand out in the canal and just fin up to the spring head, always some great crisp clean water and plenty of manatees.
Any of the shops will have a free little chart that has all the good places to go. If you see someone in a camo wetsuit with a video camera and a scooter say hello.!:cool:

Dago.

dalehall
05-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey iDChick,
We went with Bird's Underwater (http://www.birdsunderwater.com/)in Crystal River.. Bill and his outfit are great to deal with.. Unfortunately, as you can tell by my pics of that day, the viz was awful. They have clear days, but that wasn't one of them. They also film the outing.. But, they have no problems with you filming on your own either.. I would definitely recommend them. When we go back this year with my family, we're going to use them again..

freediver
11-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I was part of the Scubamagazine.net group that went to Crystal River during DEMA 2007.

It had been one of my life's goals to swim with manatees and I wasn't disappointed. The folks at Bird's Underwater were fantastic and our guide was a great host and boat pilot.

Freediving with a single manatee in the clearest part of the river was an experience that was for me, life altering. I was being called the Manatee Whisperer (LOL) due to the way it kept coming to me even though there were several snorkelers in the water.

Both Dave and I shot video - I shooting while freediving, and am currently working on posting my footage.

I want to go back when there are more of them and the conditions are consistently clear.

My experience with Bird's Underwater was a positive one and I highly recommend them for those looking to do a manatee dive.

The Publisher
11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Dale and Dago, thanks for the tips.

We lucked out, we found some manatees in the Three Sisters area where the water was crystal clear even though it wasn't yet cold enough for them to move there.

Cliff, we enjoyed having you, and thanks for taking my new avatar photo!

When the video is edited and finished we'll post it up here and we'll have a write up as Bird's was a perfect experienced, well equipped and responsible outfitter.

Besides, you may get a kick out of the coming written review as it will have in it how the City run long distance transportation bus driver put all our bags into the cargo area but left my large Deep Outdoors bag at the curbside at LAX that had over $10,000 worth of rebreather in it.

Where do these get these guys.....