PDA

View Full Version : Philippines President inducted into Women Divers Hall of Fame

Sarah
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of the Republic of the Philippines has been honored and inducted to the Women Divers Hall of Fame (WDHOF) at the "Beneath the Sea" Gala Event at the Sheraton Meadowlands in East Rutherford, New Jersey. WDHOF is an international non-profit professional honor society within the world's diving community that inducts women who have made remarkable contributions to the industry...

President Macapagal-Arroyo has been accorded this honor, not only in her capacity as an experienced diver, but more so because of the outstanding contributions she has made to the dive industry through edicts for the establishment of sanctuaries and a series of mandates for the protection of the Philippines' underwater coral and marine life.

President Macapagal-Arroyo has taken a visionary step by committing her government to protect the nation's natural wealth, and has enacted a national conservation policy for the Philippines to protect the archipelagic country's unique and rich nature, with initial focus on the heart of Southeast Asia's Coral triangle. She recognizes that a healthy environment is the foundation for a stable, productive society that can develop in a sustainable manner.

In 2005, President Arroyo also signed a Proclamation declaring every second week of January as "Best Dives Philippines Week," promoting scuba diving with an emphasis on protection and conservation of the Philippines' underwater marine resources.

The Philippines had two booths at Beneath the Sea. New York-based Tourism Director Emma Ruth Yulo, whose involvement in November's DEMA Show (Diving Equipment & Marketing Association) generated much interest in the Philippines as a dive destination and led to the selection of President Macapagal-Arroyo as one of the honorees for this year's induction, noted that "the protection of the Philippines' natural resources has been a major priority of President Macapagal-Arroyo since her election."

Often dubbed "Asia's Best Dive Destination," the Philippines is home to the famous Tubbataha Reef National Marine Park in Palawan, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, comprised of two distinct reef systems - the North Reef and the South Reef. Separated by a four-mile channel, the Tubbataha Reef is a major nesting spot for endangered sea turtles as well as rare species of fish such as the unusual fox-faced rabbitfish.

Swimming among gorgonian butterfly fish, gigantic sponges, seafans, starfish and countless species of rare fish that are unique to the region, divers will wish they could remain beneath the surface forever. The top destination for those who wish to swim with kind-tempered whale sharks (the largest fish on the planet), is Donsol, Sorsogon.

Other diving hotspots include Anilao, Apo Island, Bohol, Camiguin, Malapascua and Puerto Galera. Some would scout the world for rare species like mimic octopus, pygmy seahorses, halogen ghost pipe fish and the dugong (sea cow), but would find them in the Philippines without much effort. For wreck diving with good visibility, Coron in Palawan, and Subic Bay, Olongapo, are tops.

There are about a hundred accredited dive centers in the Philippines complete with top-notch guides and well-trained instructors who will take divers to the depths of the ocean floor. For divers who do not wish to go deep down, there is so much to see and experience without having to do so.

The archipelago of islands and islets that make up the Philippines is located on a unique section of the South China Sea, Sulu Sea, Celebes Sea, Philippine Sea and Pacific Seaboard. With a total coastline of 36,289 kilometers, 25,819 kilometers of reef area, 298,170 kilometers of land area, and 679,800 kilometers of marine area, the Philippines offer endless opportunities for exploring.

Divers interested in exploring the Philippines are encouraged to contact the Philippine Department of Tourism in New York at (212) 575-7915; Chicago at (312) 782-2475; San Francisco at (415) 956-4060; or Los Angeles at (213) 487-4525.

santelmo
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
makes me even more proud to be living in the PI. :D i cant wait to try nitrox...

wish i could hug a dugong...hehehe :rolleyes: cute! :p

deep flight
05-07-2007, 07:48 AM
for what? letting chinese poachers lose when caught red handed with turtles and nap wrasses? cmon people . . .lest we forget

DrBill
05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I was wondering why she was elected. Thanks for the explanation. I have friends in the Philippines who are divers and don't seem to think much of her, but I have no opinion of my own. Zale Perry or Sylvia Earle she is not, but...

World Wide Diver
07-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I share the same sentiments as many divers - i.e. what has she been elected for?

I have live in the Philippines for more than one year and I am not aware of any policy that she has introduced which has improved the environment.

The only enviromnemtal work being undertaken is by volunteers with personal/private funding here in Davao.

The local coastguard cannot even afford to fuel their boat to police marine protected areas because the are not give sufficient funding by the Government.

Word War II Japanese wrecks are being salvaged for metal, even though they are war graves and of hisorical importance. This has also included an American Coastguard Fleet Supply wreck with 4 dead seamen on it. The link is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.etherington/1945/05/11.htm

I do not think that this would happen in Europe or the US and wonder why the Philippine Government led by a diver allows this here?