PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses?

Capt. St.Zoomer
05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm starting my scuba training soon and am wondering whether I can wear my contact lenses, or not. From what I have been reading it seems like there is a lot of practice of taking off the mask so that could be a problem with losing the lenses. Also, I'm wondering about the possibility of eye infections--more so in a pool than in salt water, I would imagine.

What I'm thinking is that I can use the cheaper daily contacts, if it isn't a problem, instead of the 30 day contacts I normally wear. If I lose a couple of "dailies" it's not a big deal.

seasnake
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
That's one way to go ... you can also get perscription lenses for you dive mask, too.

Van Weng Koon
05-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Long time diving buddy of mine brings along disposable contacts for dive trips. One set per diving day with an extra for every 5 days. Switches to glasses after the last dive of the day. Seems to have worked perfectly for him. No troubles at all - last 10 years.

Finless
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I have worn soft contact lenses (fortnightly disposables at the moment) since well before I started diving 20 years ago.

In my experience soft lenses will come out of your eye if swimming with no mask and eyes open. When I did my AOW the instructor held my hand and allowed me to do the no mask swim with my eyes closed so I wouldn't lose my lenses and ruin the rest of the dive after the exercises.

TBH, I'd just keep back a few pairs of old lenses ready to wear and loose when doing the no mask bits.

liuk3
05-30-2007, 05:47 AM
What I'm thinking is that I can use the cheaper daily contacts, if it isn't a problem, instead of the 30 day contacts I normally wear. If I lose a couple of "dailies" it's not a big deal.

That's what I pretty much do. I haven't had a problem so far wearing contacts. I also just close my eyes when I take off my mask. You should probably also just let your buddy know so that they will understand if all of a sudden it doesn't look like you can see anything.

richardsantink
05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm starting my scuba training soon and am wondering whether I can wear my contact lenses, or not. From what I have been reading it seems like there is a lot of practice of taking off the mask so that could be a problem with losing the lenses. Also, I'm wondering about the possibility of eye infections--more so in a pool than in salt water, I would imagine.

If you keep up your lens-cleaning regimen, you shouldn't have to worry about eye infections - either in the pool, or in the sea.

I've been able to successfully remove my mask under water and either squint (allowing limited visibility but not losing the lenses), or close my eyes (for mask flooding, etc..).

I used monthly wear contacts, and occasionally disinfect them anyway. No problems to report after two years.

Prescription masks are an option, but I don't like the idea of having to wear my mask until I get back to my glasses (not a big deal on boats, but when trekking for shore dives... )

RAS