PDA

View Full Version : Portable Multimedia Storage Devices

Van Weng Koon
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I didn't know where to list this under, so I suppose beginners is a good place as any.

I have just begun to use an Epson P 2000 to store the many photographs that I take when on a dive trip/ holiday. In that way I will not run out of storage media cards - I use a Canon S 70 compact camera and a Nikon D 70, both of which use CF cards and are wholly supported by the P 2000 which incidentally supports SD cards also.

Any one using similar devices and what are your experiences with it.

Van :)

seasnake
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Not familiar with the device you are talking about, but I will add for everyone's information that I recently experimented with some SD cards and found that even the lowest data rate cards worked fine. Even with video, I got a full 30fps with no dropped frames. Here in Canada these cards are selling for $25 or less for 2GB, which I think makes them a viable option for trips. I bought 5 two giggers for my next trip.

Zero
04-30-2007, 09:15 PM
I use my ipod. Just need a small adaptor for the bottom then just plug the usb cable into it. It will work on just about any camera that stores in a dcim folder. Works with my D-70 havent tried it with my MJU725. Took both raw and jpeg and to my understanding would take any file that was in that folder whether it could read it or not then output it to a computer when synced.

Matt

Sarah
04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
VWK, that is a really nice portable storage and imnage display device!

When the 2nd generation comes out, I will get an iPhone from Apple to store images although the first generation will work just fine.

Zero
05-01-2007, 07:42 AM
There always the laptop. Its big and bulky and chews through batteries but at least if theres nothing to do you can put the pics through photoshop and have them right for when you get home.

Matt

Van Weng Koon
05-01-2007, 08:47 AM
As we speak, the 2nd generation of Epson Multimedia Viewers are already out. They are designated as the P 3000 ( 40 GB storage ) and P 5000 ( 80 GB storage.) While you cannot edit the photos or videos you took, you can actually hook this device up to a TV via an A/V cable ( not supplied in the box but available at any electronic retail outlet ) and show what you took for the day on Big Screen.

It will also act as an MP3 player, so what I do is to load in some tunes and if I really do run out of space, delete the tune to make room for my photos.

In a crunch it will also do duty as an external HDD.

Yeah, the iPod Video works the same way but can it be hooked on to a TV ?
( Dunnno , never owned one )

Van :)

Van Weng Koon
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Does not seem to be able to read XD cards though. Dunno if it is due to the CF adaptor or the P 2000 firmware does not support XD cards. Have contacted Epson support about it but no reply.

XD cards in the CF adaptor work fine on my desktop and even my Canon S 70

Van

Van Weng Koon
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
The P 2000 does not seem to read or recognise XD cards though. I tried it using a CF adaptor and all it said was the card was in an unrecognised format.

Strangely, the XD card in the CF adaptor works OK on my desktop and even my Canon S 70, which uses CF cards in its native form.

Any one got any ideas ?

Van

Zero
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Ipod will connect to the tv with an adapter.

Matt

James_sgp
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
I got a Creative Zen 30Gb portable media player, nice big screen and accepts Compact flash so easy to get n adaptor (Creative actually make one). Only cost S$500 here is Singapore, which i figured was pretty cheap as I can use it for watching movies/listerning to music etc as well.

Van Weng Koon
06-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Anybody have any experience with the Vosonic series of portable Multimedia Viewers ???

Van

allisonfinch
06-08-2007, 06:46 AM
:p

I really liked the epson storage device, but it was a little too rich for me. I got the 80 gb Flashtrax instead. The screen is a flip-up so it is better protected, but not as nice a definition as the epson. I also use my i-pod as back-up storage. Now that I shoot more raw, I'll need bigger cards and good storage on my long trips.

Papa Bear
08-19-2007, 02:58 AM
160 gig portable drive! All the resorts and boats will let you down load your pictures on to the drive on their computer. All you need then is the drive and maybe the card reader. In the days of cutting back on weight and gear this is simple and you don't take a chance of corrupting a file or having your I=Pod stolen! The drive is 109.00 at Costco!