PDA

View Full Version : gear dryer

wetwillie
04-22-2007, 02:38 PM
After having done a dive the other day I took my gear into the bathroom filled the tube with water and a splash of beta dine soap and washed it all and rinsed. and hung it up to dry on the extra curtain pole...Then it hit me.... at the fire department we have a big gear dryer for the turnout gear.. minimal heat but has a huge dehumidifier in it. Well I have a portable dehumidifier for the apartment that I had purchased at Lowe's a few months ago... put that in the bathroom and voilą couple of hours later all the gear was bone dry inside and out .......

fredob
10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
For dry suits:-stick a hose up the leg, with a cheap hairdryer on the other end (set to cold on hairdryer of course).;)

acelockco
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I always store /dry my gear in a large closet with a dehumidifier in it. It is really amazing how quickly everything drys.

Anyway, I also have a small fan in the closet to circulate the air.

lottie
10-30-2007, 10:26 PM
i'm lucky, i just hang my wetsuit up on the balcony (out of the sun mind) and in a couple of hours its' completely dry :D :D :D :D

Ace - nice avatar pic :)

acelockco
10-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Of course you don't have the same issues as we have with gear drying. Plus you most likely don't have as much gear. Dry suits and their undergarments do seem to take a while to dry and are WAY too costly to leave on the balcony.

I am glad you like my new photo. You can sort of make out my face as I took off the regulator for the photo. You all told me to update my photo. It is still old, but newer than what I had. We are going to Florida right after Thanksgiving, so I will get some new photos then.

amtrosie
10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
You all told me to update my photo. It is still old, but newer than what I had. We are going to Florida right after Thanksgiving, so I will get some new photos then.

Update with one of those "Florida's Beauties" P..L..E..A..S..E!!!! :D :D NOT of those "snow birds" either! :eek: :eek:

Give something GOOD to look at! :cool:

If you don't wear a wetsuit, you will make all us locals really look like candy, chicken butts, when we show up to the dive in thick wetsuits or dry suits!

acelockco
10-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Update with one of those "Florida's Beauties" P..L..E..A..S..E!!!! :D :D NOT of those "snow birds" either! :eek: :eek:

Give something GOOD to look at! :cool:

If you don't wear a wetsuit, you will make all us locals really look like candy, chicken butts, when we show up to the dive in thick wetsuits or dry suits!

I am sure it is going to be a funny sight to see me in a bathing suit as pale as a ghost complaining about the heat! Anyway I will be sure to get a few good photos to share.

cajunfla
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Simple PVC gear dryer. About $30 worth of pvc and glue from Home Depot. EVERYTHING is expensive here on Guam due to shipping costs. And about 1 hour of time.

Chantelle
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Yep.. the PVC is a great option. We have one at the moment, with promises for another, for my suit... lol.. uh huhh...

Here's our dry rack for the other stuff...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Gitterdun7/Diving/Gear/DSCI0004-2.jpg

hbh2oguard
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
your pic of the pvc hanger is 100% different than the one I built but I'm sure it works just as well. Do you have a proble with balancing your gear on it or is that for multiple sets of equipment?

cajunfla
01-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Balance is not a problem. I made it with extra wide feet. I hang my BC and regs on the arms, securing the cummerbund around the upright center post. The other uprights are for gloves, intergrated weight pockets, and boots. Living in Guam, I have no need for a wet suit, but there is place to drape it over, I suppose. I made the feet wider after a problem I had with a similar unit I made for pool towels falling over in the breeze.