PDA

View Full Version : Diving Accident Scenario

Bubble Maker
04-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Dive Accident Scenario
> diver 1 and diver 2 go out to a cold water lake to make a dive to
100ft then a second dive to 80ft both divers are wearing 6.5 wetsuits.
> They both have decided on a dive plan that includes making a down
line several yards off the shoreline that has a known depth of 100ft and
once the down line is completed they will dive to the bottom and diver 2
will go out 20 to 30 ft from the down line in a due north direction,
then return to the down line, diver 1 (repeat) and they agree to use the
standard safety procedures in-case something happens.
> Here We Go
> diver 1 and 2 successfully make a down line. then ok ok lets go
diving signals.
> as both divers are at 100ft/Bottom diver 2 goes out using a compass
to the north along the bottom. diver 1 watches until a big plum of silt
clouds up the water. diver 1 cant see diver 2 at all but awaits diver
2s return. after a short time diver 1 starts the 1 minute countdown and
after that will return to surface to connect with diver 2. diver 1
using the down line does the proper off gasing and returns to the surface
where diver 2 is floating motionless. diver 2 DIVER 2 are you OK. no
response from diver 2. diver 1 swims over to diver 2 and repeats.
> no response still from diver 2. diver 1 checks diver 2s breathing and
its shallow. diver 1 reaches for diver 2s detachable weight pack and it
is missing, as diver 1 inflates diver 2s BCD diver 1 finds and releases
diver 2s other detachable weights sending them to the Abyss.
> diver 1 carries diver 2 onshore and removes diver 2s BCD then runs
over to the vehicle and calls 911. What Is Your Emergency ?
> my name is diver 1 and I was diving with another diver named diver 2
and I lost contact with diver 2 at the bottom of a cold water lake
located at blankity blank and I found diver 2 floating on the surface when
I returned to surface. diver 2 is not responsive but is breathing
alittle.
> We Are Sending EMTs NOW.
>
> While Waiting
> What else can diver 1 do for diver 2 till the EMTs arrive ???
> Mike

Become A Rescue Diver...Its Priceless
>

Zero
04-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Put them on O2 and make note of all vitals and prepare for anything else that eventuates. Strip them out of suit and get them warm and out of the weather. Prepare for however the EMT is coming. If by air secure all loose objects. If available have a smoke flare close by to give the pilot wind conditions and location. If by road have someone stand and wave down the ambo.
Although all the planning in the world is good it goes straight out the window in any situation as most people will panic to some extent.

Matt

wetwillie
04-22-2007, 01:17 PM
pull out of my dry box my "cuff and scope" take bp and pulse write it down and keep checking writing it all down to look for any changes to notify EMT on arrival,check for blood in ear canal for ruptured eardrums, check for blood flow to the extremities "nail Pinch",scrape fingernail or blunt instrument on on bottom of foot for possible nerve damage,look for any skin discoloration on body. turn diver onto side with leg bent in-case of water in stomach( throwing up)keep airway clear, since diver is breathing, use scope to listen for water rattle in lungs, note all findings, and vitals to pass onto EMT on arrival. this helps speed up their evaluation and transportation......

Bubble Maker
04-22-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm glad we can all agree that staying with Diver 2 and applying or being ready to apply
any skills, training or equipment we have, including common sense would be the best thing to do.

This scenario has a good ending tho. :D
after a full investigation and the testimony from Diver 2 including the recovery of the weight packs. it was found that Diver 2 did the proper off gassing procedure( according to the puter a little bit fast) and surfaced. not seeing Diver 1, Diver 2 panicked and threw his arms into the air and flapped them like a big sissy all the while calling for Momma, this threw Diver 2 into a heart attack and before diver 2 passed out was able to knock off one of his weight packs by flapping his arms like an Idiot. after this horrible event Diver 1 and Diver 2 got married.

Awwwwww

NO... that really sucked!!! she was the best diver in our group

Moral of the Story...... Dont Panic

Mike

wetwillie
04-22-2007, 08:46 PM
damn now he can breed and make more diver 2's

Bubble Maker
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
your right wetwillie
I need to change the ending of the scenario so Diver 2s gene-pool cant be passed along :D

Mike

seasnake
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Since prevention is better than rescue/first aid treatment . . . :

Diver1 and Diver2 make plans to stick together under water and work together as a team. When they surface together, no one panics and they are both there to offer moral support and keep each other calm.

Also, stay in shape so that sissy arm flailing doesn't lead to a heart attack ... :D :D

acelockco
06-16-2007, 11:55 PM
I agree with Seasnake on this one. This all could have been provented if the divers (aparently new and not very well trained) had stayed together during the entire dive. I dive with my wife and we ALWAYS stay together. In clear visibility we will wonder up to about 10 feet from each other, in poor visibility where we dive often together we stay within distance where we can touch each other. We are thinking about using a short teather in the near zero visibility conditions that we often encounter.

That being said, loosing your dive buddy is no reason to panic! I am glad to hear that everything worked out, but maybe it is time to get additional training or find a different hobby/sport.

Zero
06-17-2007, 04:05 AM
We are thinking about using a short teather in the near zero visibility conditions that we often encounter.

I mainly dive out of reach of a buddy but my view on that isnt a good one. If either one of you have a problem with excess bouyancy or negative is the other going to be able to detatch in time? One bent diver on the surface while not being good is still much better than two. Just my thoughts.

Matt

BamaCaveDiver
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I mainly dive out of reach of a buddy but my view on that isnt a good one. If either one of you have a problem with excess bouyancy or negative is the other going to be able to detatch in time? One bent diver on the surface while not being good is still much better than two. Just my thoughts.

Matt

I agree Matt. There is also the entanglement issue that comes from being tied to your buddy in less than ideal vis. Remember, the first rule of rescue is not to cause harm to the rescuer.

acelockco
06-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Of course you could detach in time, it is only on your wrist with a rubber coil key chain. It would pull off if you were not holding onto the actual strap normally. It was just a thought anyway.

The more I thought about it, I am starting to think it is a bad idea anyway. My new view on this is to be completely self sufficient so you don't have to rely on your buddy. With a good dive plan including what to do if you get seperated anyway. I remember being taught in basic OW1 class that if you get seperated, look in a circle for 1 minute and if you can't find your buddy/group, start your acent.

We do often get seperated, but panic is never an issue? Why would anyone panic if they lost their buddy? Is their buddy a Underwater Superhero, able to kill Great White Sharks with a single scuba knife and beat decompression with a single breath? Da da da dumm....It is It's Scuba Duba Dude to the rescue.....

I'll save you Steve Irwin....

hbh2oguard
06-19-2007, 06:10 AM
well it is your wife can't you just hold hands?

acelockco
06-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Eew, and get cooties......LOL

We have, but that gets old really quickly. Considering all of our gear, it usually is not practical. It is hard to use a light, adjust your bc, add air or vent air from the drysuit, etc when holding hands all with THICK gloves on. Remember we are talking 40 degree water temps and 0-3 feet of visibility.

hbh2oguard
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
sounds like you need to find a nice tropical resort to go diving:) Cold cold water and no vis sounds like fun:)

seasnake
06-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Self sufficiency and a good dive plan along with situational awareness are probably what would work best, instead of tying yourself to the other person so you won't get separated. You are right, what is the panic if you get separated, as long as you are self sufficient? I mean, it's not desireable if you are working as a team, but it's not reason for panic. TDI has that solo diver course, but I think there should be a course called something like "Underwater Self Sufficiency" that would cover similar topics. It would make a person a much better buddy instead of a liability underwater.

Zero
06-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Im all for the being self sufficient. It cant hurt to both have a dive plan and dive together but also know that you are doing it solo. If your buddy goes missing they are in the same boat as you and you meet at the exit instead of surfacing to look for each other.

Matt

Papa Bear
08-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Doesn't it depend on the mission? Is it a recreational dive, training dive, or Salvage? That really dictates the dive plan, if you doing a rec dive in those conditions then I can see not making it a multiple up and down dive looking for your buddy. I think I would use a lanyard or call the dive! If you are there for a purpose then you need to adapt your plan to your skill level based on the risk!