PDA

View Full Version : HOG Rigging Guide

Tek_Divr
01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
These are the parts you start with:

These are the parts you start with: Roll of Resin reinforced 2” webbing, Knife with sheath, 3 pieces of inner tube, 1 waist buckle, 2 bent Drings, 1 straight Dring, 3 serrated keepers. The crotch strap is furnished assembled with the sewn in “Scooter” dring, the “butt” dring and serrated keeper, and the plain keeper used to secure it to the backplate.http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-1.jpg

1. Plate shown with the tank side up. Position the middle of the 2” webbing on the middle of the tank side of the back plate. Feed the webbing through the angled slots to the diver’s side of the plate, and back through the upper slots.http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-2.jpg

2. Plate shown with diver’s side up. First slide one piece of the inner tube up the left strap, and fit one bent dring and keeper on each shoulder strap.
http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-3.jpg

3.Plate Shown with diver’s side up. Slide one piece of inner tube on to each shoulder below the Dring. Feed the shoulder straps through the lower harness slots.The outside edge of the shoulder strap should be in contact with the top of the inner slot.
http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-4.jpg

4. Plate shown with diver’s side up. Feed the end of the webbing back thru the outboard slot, this becomes the waist strap. Please note:The DSS Stainless Back Plates include molded in rubber strips inside the lower slots to keep the webbing from slipping, there is no need to put weight belt keepers on the backside of the plate. Fit one of the straight drings on the left waist strap, and slide the knife sheath on to the left waist strap.
http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-5.jpg

5. Plate shown from both sides. Lace the crotch strap through the horizontal slot the bottom of the plate and back through the plain keeper a second time. The webbing goes through the keeper, through the plate and then back through the keeper a second time. The fourth dring, one of the straight
drings, is shipped already laced onto the crotch strap. After adjusting the harness and crotch strap this “butt” d ring should be about one “hand” below the lower edge of the plate.
http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-6.jpg

6. This is the Basic Rigged HOG Harness, now it needs to be adjusted to fit the diver.
http://www.scubamagazine.net/images/ScubaMagazine Images/HOG-9.jpg

Text & photos reprinted courtesy of Brian at Deep Sea Supply (http://www.deepseasupply.com/index.html)

Mike V
01-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Great post with good info.

Question: is the crotch strap absolutely necessary for single tank, tropical style diving if the shoulder and waist straps fit nice and snug?

Packhorse
01-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I dont know about absolutely necessary but I highly recommend it. It stops the bottom of the rig floating up and makes it all so much more a part of you. Its not at all uncomftable.

Humanphibian
01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I agree....use it.

After a dive or two...you will forget it's there.

Zero
01-25-2007, 10:27 AM
If the resin reinforced stuff is too uncomfortable you could use normal 2" webbing, seat belt webbing or even go to 1". I run 1" on my transpac and on my backpack and never notice it.

Matt

amtrosie
01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
If the resin reinforced stuff is too uncomfortable you could use normal 2" webbing, seat belt webbing or even go to 1". I run 1" on my transpac and on my backpack and never notice it.

Matt

Zero,

2" webbing is reinforced to add durability for supporting your tanks (read more than 1). Seat belt webbing is not nearly durable to support the tanks and equipment you will be diving. The same argument for the 1" webbing. Believe me, you do not notice the webbing after a dive, or during it either. Remember the diver positioning thru-out the dive (horizontal).

Zero
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Zero,

2" webbing is reinforced to add durability for supporting your tanks (read more than 1). Seat belt webbing is not nearly durable to support the tanks and equipment you will be diving. The same argument for the 1" webbing. Believe me, you do not notice the webbing after a dive, or during it either. Remember the diver positioning thru-out the dive (horizontal).

OOPS was just for the crotch strap not all of the harness. Ouch couldnt imagine the world of pain carrying twins on 1" webbing even with padding on them.

stu101
01-28-2007, 02:42 AM
One thing that's easy to forget when thinking about the comfort or fit of any harness is that it will feel completely different when vertical, out of the water compared to horizental when under water. I dive heavy doubles, and they're an incredible PITA, and not at all comfortable until I submerge, at which point I no longer notice them. The snugger the harness, the harder it is to get on but the more stable everything feels under water. As far as durability, unless you love to re-thread your harness a lot, wider does last longer and there really isn't any lose of comfort. If anything, wider wouldn't cut as much. YMMV

Stu

Zero
01-28-2007, 05:26 AM
If you do have a problem with the webbing cutting Id be looking a filing the edges off a bit so they arent as sharp. Normal wear and tear is still going to happen but so just put a small sacrificial piece of webbing through the hole on the load bearing side so it has to cut through it first before your harness.

Matt

nice-diver
01-28-2007, 06:01 AM
My crotch strap (2") gives me a sence of security for giant strides and head down positions. I also use my front crotch d-ring for holding my speargun while dealing with the flopping fish.

WarmWaterdiver
02-16-2007, 01:34 AM
I did a dive today using a Halcyon BP/W and the Hogarthian harness system and didnt even feel the crotch strap at all. Dont even make it a consideration.

BamaCaveDiver
02-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Matt

I take it that you don't scooter, trust me when I say that the 2 inch is a lot more comfortable;)

Zero
02-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Nope i cant say i do and i didnt think of it like that either. It does make sense.

Matt

dingho
10-25-2007, 01:42 AM
whats the difference in weight for a std al and ss plate?

Tigerbeach
10-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Great post with good info.

Question: is the crotch strap absolutely necessary for single tank, tropical style diving if the shoulder and waist straps fit nice and snug?

NO.

For a tropical rig mounted on just a backpack, a crotch strap is not necessary.
The tank won't just go floating around, either.

acelockco
10-25-2007, 04:36 AM

Depends on the exact models you are talking about.

Generally SS is more negative in the water, which helps to take some weight off your belt.

BamaCaveDiver
10-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Standard thickness AL plates will usually weigh in around 2-3 pounds, and SS plates are typically 6 pounds.

dingho
11-04-2007, 10:28 PM
thanks, BAMA, now I got the idea.

Alex777
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm just using my Hog-rigged BP for single-tank tropical diving at the moment. I agree, though, that a crotch strap is a definite advantage.

My question - what are the 3 pieces of inner tubing for?

scuba smurf
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
if you're referring to the inner tubing on the shoulder straps,they're for holding your backup lights snugly against your harness.

Alex777
01-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Thank you!

BillGraham
02-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I take it that you don't scooter, trust me when I say that the 2 inch is a lot more comfortable;)

Heh. I've been using the double setup, one around each leg for that very reason.

if you're referring to the inner tubing on the shoulder straps,they're for holding your backup lights snugly against your harness.

Inner tubing is a diver's wonder material second only to duct tape.