PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary New Regulator

Admin
04-14-2007, 05:40 PM
We just had some discussions Thursday with one of our higher up contacts at a dive equipment manufacturer.

They are in the field testing phase right now with a regulator they claim is consistently demonstrating that it reduces the users gas consumption by 38-44%. That means using an Al 80 cf would be like having a steel 120, or if you use a steel 105 it would be like now having a 150 cf tank.

They state that they think with more development and tuning, they can get the gas consumption figure up to a 50% reduction.

They stated that they know the idea sounds impossible, but it is real, and it is in use right now by test divers and the percentages mentioned are real.

They discussed with us that the technology is simplistic, in execution and inexpensive to produce.

Right now they are working on getting the technology patented, and if that is successful, they think that it will be the most revolutionary dive equipment innovation ever.

Ok, so we think CCR's fit the most revolutionary bill, but they are not for the masses, whereas this regulator is said to be. We're were advised it looks pretty much like a standard single hose regulator and ergonomically was just like a standard reg.

The conversation was interesting in that on its face we too are completely sceptical which is just one of the reasons we're witholding their name, but they are a huge, well known dive equipment company that has been around for a long time and has a huge capital base.

And for the last teaser, they are probably not who you think.

Discussion?

wetwillie
04-14-2007, 10:06 PM
heck any regulator can reduce gas consumption 100 % if it wont work.. so then If I used a regulator that reduce my gas at depth to zero then I would never have to use another regulator again...

seasnake
04-15-2007, 02:47 AM
I volunteer to be a test diver with this reg! Give them my name!! :)

MantaRay
04-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Painkilllers against headache included ?
Buy a nice camera, relax, d'ont race around the reefs and youre consumption will improve.lol

wetwillie
04-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I am a an overweight guy and pretty much out of shap to many standards but I almost always have more air left over from dives than many of the super fit athletic types I have dove with. And when I was doing the hard hat thing I saw these same guys get bent doing less work under the same depth I was....all I am saying is that I am built for comfort not speed...

Diverdaniel
06-05-2007, 10:50 PM
we would love to test them under hard scientific dive work.
how do i get to know more about this ?

The Publisher
06-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I had a chance to ask some more questions about this regulator. The person whom I spoke with has not seen the unit himself, it is only the info he is getting from his higher ups.

I did joke with him that so far I haven't signed on yet, as I need to keep my tech credibility, or what little of it I have at least, intact before our members. ;)

Like the rest here who believe it is physically impossible, I did explain that there is only a certain respiratory volume in a given person, and since the most efficient way to breathe we are taught are full breaths.

So we know the reason behind the full breaths is due to the waste of a certain percentage in the airways where oxygen is not exchanged. THAT is the only place where any conceivable waste takes place, and therein is exactly what I am told is targeted.

littleleemur
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Sign me up too. I'd be their guinea pig. My SAC has been the same since day 1.

lars2923
12-11-2007, 11:03 PM
The device sends a tube down into the trachea.
Eliminates almost all of the deadspace. Yet, I do not see
30-40% of my wasted air to be in deadspace, so what else could it be...

The new hoseless regulator...
Its finally arrived.

hbh2oguard
12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
very funny... it's pretty simple just crank down the adjustments and make it next hard to take a breath. It's not as nice but it helps a little, very little. This post is a few months old so any new info?

The Publisher
12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
HB, we were so busy at Poseidon's booth with the new Cis-Lunar Mk VI that I forgot to ask.

I was speaking with Bob Hollis, founder of Oceanic and he did say that one of their Oceanic regulators partially does some slightly odd thing similar to that via pressure related to dead space....and perhaps Poseidon's new deal just takes it to it's logical conclusion.

We hear they are trying to see if they can patent it, if so, fine, if not, they have to build so many of them that they can sell enough before it gets copied.

hbh2oguard
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
well thanks for the update

DV8HARD
07-28-2008, 06:35 AM
"They discussed with us that the technology is simplistic, in execution and inexpensive to produce."

But, I bet just becuase it is "revolutionary" they will charge an arm and a leg. :(

The Publisher
07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I had a conversation with the former North American distributor last month and he said he had not heard anything new. His original statement was that the manufacturer was not sure it could even be patented...if not, they had to make a huge quantity and sell them real fast before they were copied, so he made it seem as if the patenting issues was a holdup problem.

thalassamania
07-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Sounds like the 100 mile per gallon carburator that the government, oil companies and auto makers were keeping secret.