PDA

View Full Version : DIY Underwater ROV

James_sgp
04-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Been building an underwater ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle), for the last few months. Made from plastic plumbing pipe, with onboard electronics for compass, depth, thruster control, lights & video camera.
Its controlled via a laptop on the surface, and connected with a 50m long umbilical cable. Attached a few pictures, working on the final assembly at the moment. But got a little distracted building myself a 20W LED video light (using concepts from my ROV).

Sarah
04-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Now that has to be fun building!

seasnake
04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Very cool. What are some of your other projects. I assume you don't start out building ROV's?

James_sgp
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Seasnake,

Well you`ve already seen my dive light, which was an inspiration after designing the lights for my ROV (they should be able to go down to 50m, based stress analysis).
Built lots of other toys before, but not many for diving. Built serval dive computer interfaces, for Sunnto & UWATEC.

I like a good challenge, so figured the ROV would be good...and hopefully useful too. Has got some concepts for a baby version, but will depend how sucessful the big one is first.

fredob
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice - what do you use for the thrusters & how do you keep the dreaded salty-shorting out liquid from entering?:confused:

Tigerbeach
10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Can it be outfitted with a shark fin to cruise the surf zone...?

acelockco
10-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Ha! Now that sounds like a great idea!