PDA

View Full Version : Is this board growing too slowly?

Daddy-h2O
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Is this board growing too slowly?

It seems this board is stagnatting a bit. I see the same people posting over the last few weeks. I have mentioned it to several friends and dive buddies around. I don't know how else I can promote this board. Any suggestions?

hbh2oguard
04-12-2007, 03:33 AM
I agree I've been off for a few weeks because no new topic are posted.

Sarah
04-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi guys....we've actually grown over 30 members in just 2 weeks, but for every person who make a post, 10 don't, and 100 just read it who aren't signed members yet.

We're at about 480 some members, which for being open only 4.5 months is supposed to be remarkable for a non-erotica discussion board, lol.

We'll crack 500 shortly......sometimes just posting opinions and polls gets additional participation. Posting our link on other dive related websites also helps.

DrBill
04-13-2007, 02:51 PM
We can't discuss erotica here? I guess I'm in the wrong place.

I've seen some boards that lost their character because they grew too fast. Of course rapid growth is often desirable by the site's owners, so I'm glad to see that "slow" growth is acceptable here.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-14-2007, 12:15 AM
We're at about 480 some members, which for being open only 4.5 months is supposed to be remarkable for a non-erotica discussion board, lol.

No erotica? Uh oh... Sorry Dr B.... not the board for you huh? :p

DrBill
04-14-2007, 06:13 AM
I guess I'll have to stick to other channels for that.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I guess I'll have to stick to other channels for that.

uh huh, but you'll get Rimsa from Tawian asking how to get rid of microspores instead.....

Daddy-h2O
04-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Okay, then How would you suggest that we help the board grow acceptablly?

(By the way, I am not the site owner, nor do I play one on TV or sleep at a Holiday Inn express...)

Personally, I would like to see some more activity and comments is all.

Sarah
04-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Many divers who like online discussions don't know about us yet, just let other divers know, whether in person or online in some fashion.

Bubble Maker
04-22-2007, 04:10 AM
iDiveChick

Many divers who like online discussions don't know about us yet, just let other divers know, whether in person or online in some fashion.

Dr Bill is right, even tho he dosnt confess knowing me we have been on other boards together that loose there Ummmm Fun because they grew to fast and they started relying on substitute/moderators that didnt have time to watch out for the board and members interest. iDiveChick you seem to have a positive attitude and that will take this board far. you might want to post a Mission Statement that explains your goal (never seen that before on any boards)

my two psi..

Mike

Sarah
04-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi Bubbles,

I just posted two Missions Statement examples for members to vote on in the ScubaMagazine site news forum.

For those unaware, I wrote both while staying up WAY too late.

;)

Daddy-h2O
04-26-2007, 11:48 PM
I read, I voted , I rant on!!!

santelmo
04-29-2007, 11:58 AM
growing a bit slow but im ok w/ it... :cool:

ive voted already... :D

santelmo
04-29-2007, 12:01 PM
maybe we could have smaller banners for us to post on our personal website (ex. multiply, myspace, friendster) like an advertising kit for scubamagazine.net? :rolleyes: :o :D :p

Daddy-h2O
04-30-2007, 12:25 AM
^ see that's what I am talking about^^^^

86diver
05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
I just found this site by accident last week just wondering around on the net. If I can make a suggestion, I would do more advertising, get more people involved, REALLY COOL SITE!!!

Sarah
05-23-2007, 05:12 AM
We are now doing advertising, and we are starting to have sites add links.

We are going to work on banners if the publisher does his Indonesia trip in August. We've picked up about 25 members in just the last 4 days.

Compared to other sites that have started several months before us we have more than a hundred more members.

We're doing quite well considering how hard it is to start any scuba forum, but we won't rest till we have complete and total world domination. ;)

Daddy-h2O
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
We are now doing advertising, and we are starting to have sites add links.

We are going to work on banners if the publisher does his Indonesia trip in Augsut. We've picked up about 25 members in just the last 4 days.

Compared to other sites that have started several months before us we have more than a hundred more members.

We're doing quite well considering how hard it is to start any scuba forum, but we won't rest till we have complete and total world domination. ;)

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

kirwoodd
07-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree with the OP,
my issue is similar. I am a new diver (27 dives) and as a n00b I think that I can learn from the more experienced. So I keep coming here hoping to pick out perls of wisdom. :)
I guess that its just a matter of critical mass and this board just isnt there yet. It certainly cant be easy for the site admins as there are other boards that are in direct competition with this one and they are going strong. The ONE thing that does suprise me is how closely this boards layout resembles one of their competitors. I am CTO for a software company during the day and I try to avoid copy cat user interfaces, its better to be new and exciting. I feel like if you too closely resemble the competition users will say "why switch, I already have THAT over here and more users/data as well."

as for advertising, good call, IIRC I found this site via google adsense.