PDA

View Full Version : Do you put your mask under or over your hood

Bubble Maker
04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
I recently started diving colder waters and on a surface Interval on a dive boat a topic came up, where do you put your mask. arrguments for both side made sense. soooo

where do you put your mask over or under your hood...and why ?

Mike

Sarah
04-09-2007, 02:28 AM
On the gear table or in my dive bag ;)

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 03:56 AM
The strap belongs under your hood and nowhere else.

Those silly neoprene straps are not needed either.

With the strap under the hood the mask will ALWAYS be in place. You cannot lose it, it cannot come off your face in a gas share drill or emergency. Simple exhalation will also put a little air in the hood which also makes ear equalization easier too.

The method for putting it on is simple. Peel your hood back, put the mask on. Stretch the hood over your head and put in place. DONE. When you come up, peel back hood, take off mask.

Some pointers. Once you have adjusted your mask strap for a comfortable fit take some electrical tape and tape down the straps. This keeps those silly danglies from getting all over the place.

Also -- only after the mask is on and hood is in place do you put on your gloves.

It will take you 10 dives with the strap under the hood to understand why this is THE way to do it.

The only reason you were not taught to put it under the hood is that during OW trainining you need to remove and replace your mask for skills. In the real world once the mask is on it stays on till you are back on the boat or out of the water completely.

My mask has been under my hood since November 12, 1988.

Cheers,

SoCalDiveGirl
04-09-2007, 06:17 AM
The strap belongs under your hood and nowhere else.

Those silly neoprene straps are not needed either.

Cheers,

Um J....I like my silly neoprene straps on my masks.... (the neoprene helps keep the hair from getting tangled)...
:)

But you did learn me to put my neoprene strap under my hood.....

Zero
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Im either. On top or under rubber strap or neoprene. Some masks feel better certain ways. No worries about masks getting kicked off either i carry a spare.

Matt

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Im either. On top or under rubber strap or neoprene. Some masks feel better certain ways. No worries about masks getting kicked off either i carry a spare.

Matt

Some day and that day will come you will be on a dive with some Noobs and a 300 pound guy will come at you from out of the blue and that mask will get blown off your face as he comes looking for the regulator that is in your mouth. .......... spare mask is nice but why carry something to solve a problem you never would have had in the first place?

jds

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Um J....I like my silly neoprene straps on my masks.... (the neoprene helps keep the hair from getting tangled)...

Uh Missy ... your hair will not get tangled IF you follow the instructions. Before the dive just put a dab of conditioner in your hands and run it through your hair. Then Put the mask on and put strap in place. Then put hood up.

The neoprene strap cover actually makes the mask LESS secure since it increases the surface area of the strap and that in and of itself helps it act as a lever and even the smallest snag or tug on the cover from any edge will lift it up and let the mask dislodge.

Add to it the additional thickness of the neoprene strap allows more water to be inside the hood thereby decreasing the thermal efficency of the hood. The more water flow the colder you will be.

The reason a mask strap has the oval opening is so that it can have two places of formation around the back of the head. This gives the mask a three-point anchor.

Cheers

JDS

BamaCaveDiver
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
The more important question is how does Joel know how to keep hair from becoming entangled in his mask strap, like he has experienced that problem as of late ;)

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
The more important question is how does Joel know how to keep hair from becoming entangled in his mask strap, like he has experienced that problem as of late ;)

Bama,

It's true, I do not have the tangle problem with my hair. However after diving extensively since 1988, training more than 3000 divers, interacting with more than 30,000 on dive boats over the years I kinda have an idea as to how to solve some of these little problems.

:-)

SoCalDiveGirl
04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
The neoprene strap cover actually makes the mask LESS secure since it increases the surface area of the strap and that in and of itself helps it act as a lever and even the smallest snag or tug on the cover from any edge will lift it up and let the mask dislodge.

JDS

Um J- and this is why it's under the hood... :) Doesn't matter if its neoprene or rubber when it's under the hood because the hood secures it in place, does it not?
And I dive with a spare mask also :D

I think a TDL neoprene mask strap in pink would be nice.... *smile*

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Um JD- and this is why it's under the hood... :) Doesn't matter if its neoprene or rubber when it's under the hood because the hood secures it in place, does it not?
And I dive with a spare mask also :D

JD is my goober cousin on my first wife's second side who dropped out of kindergarten and has worked at Waffle House, Bob's Big Boy, the Piggly Wigley and who from the last info we got lives in a trailer in the south someplace that ain't got no wheels.

Actually it's rare that you have a rubber strap anymore --- they are either black or clear (frosted) silicone.

And, If someday I make TDL mask strap covers -- i will make you a pink one.

:D

JDS

SoCalDiveGirl
04-09-2007, 08:44 PM
JD is my goober cousin on my first wife's second side who dropped out of kindergarten and has worked at Waffle House, Bob's Big Boy, the Piggly Wigley and who from the last info we got lives in a trailer in the south someplace that ain't got no wheels.

Actually it's rare that you have a rubber strap anymore --- they are either black or clear (frosted) silicone.

JDS

You're impossible sometimes. Silicone/rubber - they pull hair. I have hair.. and I don't like it pulled (well, ok not by a mask strap).

Bob's Big Boy- I think thats in Baker, where the worlds largest thermometer resides.. I think it used to be called Bun Boy though.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bun_Boy

JS1scuba
04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
You're impossible sometimes. Silicone/rubber - they pull hair. I have hair.. and I don't like it pulled (well, ok not by a mask strap).

Bob's Big Boy- I think thats in Baker, where the worlds largest thermometer resides.. I think it used to be called Bun Boy though.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bun_Boy

Bun Boy is also in Barstow.

Well they have a few Big Boys in Fla. Though I'm sure kuzin JD dun messed them up out thar too.

JDS

amtrosie
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM

OH BOY!! Here we go, if it isn't pink........ or all things are better if covered by pink....... Let me guess, a pink hood would effect a better seal!!

I think I am going to go color blind!!! Maybe that is what DIR really is Defficient Internal Retnal....? just a bunch of color blind people who have been misrepresented. Yeah I think thats what it all is.

BamaCaveDiver
04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Bama,

It's true, I do not have the tangle problem with my hair. However after diving extensively since 1988, training more than 3000 divers, interacting with more than 30,000 on dive boats over the years I kinda have an idea as to how to solve some of these little problems.

What can I say Joel, that opening was just too tempting to pass up:p

SoCalDiveGirl
04-10-2007, 09:06 PM
OH BOY!! Here we go, if it isn't pink........ or all things are better if covered by pink....... Let me guess, a pink hood would effect a better seal!!

I think I am going to go color blind!!! Maybe that is what DIR really is Defficient Internal Retnal....? just a bunch of color blind people who have been misrepresented. Yeah I think thats what it all is.

Hey has anyone told you to stfu lately? If not, let me be the first to do so :)

Obviously you have "issues" with colored gear? Its ok, go ahead and get some colored dive gear-- you'll realize it doesn't change how you dive at all... It's ok, really....
Ever tried therapy? :)

amtrosie
04-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey has anyone told you to stfu lately? If not, let me be the first to do so :)

Obviously you have "issues" with colored gear? Its ok, go ahead and get some colored dive gear-- you'll realize it doesn't change how you dive at all... It's ok, really....
Ever tried therapy? :)

I don't know, if I'll be able to use pink gear, I was raised not to see color. :D :D
Does a mask with SOME pink count?

Therapy has been tried, but when she walked in with a pink blouse on, things just seemed to go backward quickly. I never could figure it out.......:p

Just pulling your leg, after all colors quickly diminish at depths any way.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't know, if I'll be able to use pink gear, I was raised not to see color. :D :D
Does a mask with SOME pink count?

Therapy has been tried, but when she walked in with a pink blouse on, things just seemed to go backward quickly. I never could figure it out.......:p

Just pulling your leg, after all colors quickly diminish at depths any way.

Thats it. I'm getting you a set of pink gear ;)
Or maybe just a pink flowered 1mm macho suit from the box jelly thread...
hehe

JS1scuba
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM

If the sheep herders made the new DIR color PINK every one of them would be wearing pink.

Now pink koolaid tastes like crap so it might as well be pink lemonade .....

Pink it's the color of choice for those who understand and appreciate that there is more than black.

Cheers

DrBill
04-10-2007, 11:45 PM
You all still dive with a mask? Can't you see well underwater? It took a few decades, but my eyes finally adjusted... not.

I always dive with my strap under my hood, but for an additional reason from the good ones Joel pointed out. As a videographer, I have one hand previously occupied with my camera. When my mask strap breaks, the hood holds the mask near my face and I can continue my dive and filming by pressing the video camera housing against the mask. Had to do that on a very important dive a few years ago.

DrBill
04-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Pink it's the color of choice for those who understand and appreciate that there is more than black.

Cheers

Missy is entitled to wear what she wants color wise... I still dive with her on occasion. I know you do too, Joel.

However, I have a serious question related to the color blue... specifically on wet suits. I have never had a wetsuit that had blue fabric on it last very long. I don't know if the blue fabrics are more sensitive to UV or what, but they fall apart quickly in my experience (sometimes within 25 dives). The black neoprene is still in great shape.

I'm the poster boy for non-DIR diving, but I think my next few wetsuits will be all black... no blue (or pink, sorry Missy!).

seasnake
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
What do you do if you're not wearing a hood? Staples?

JS1scuba
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
What do you do if you're not wearing a hood? Staples?

25% of your body heat is lost through your head. You should be wearing at least a thin hood, even if its one of those 1mil things. I have a 2mill hoded vest I wear most of the time when diving wet.

If the water is that warm where no hood at all is needed 90f then just put the mask on, put the breathing thing in your mouth, the feet things on your feet and go diving.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
However, I have a serious question related to the color blue... specifically on wet suits. I have never had a wetsuit that had blue fabric on it last very long. I don't know if the blue fabrics are more sensitive to UV or what, but they fall apart quickly in my experience (sometimes within 25 dives). The black neoprene is still in great shape.

I've always heard that blue paint (such as on vehicles) tends to fade sooner than other colors.. Looked all over this site- http://www.cis.rit.edu/fairchild/WhyIsColor/shortAs.html -to find something about color fading, but didn't see anything about blue specifically.. It did mention that the colorants used in some dyes and fabrics affect the fade-ability (I dont think that's a word, but hey- it works) of paint, clothing, etc... so... stick to black!

SoCalDiveGirl
04-11-2007, 10:05 PM
If the water is that warm where no hood at all is needed 90f then just put the mask on, put the breathing thing in your mouth, the feet things on your feet and go diving.

I'm pretty cold-blooded, er--- cold-natured---I tend to get really cold, really easily... but while diving in Cozumel's 80F degree water with no hood, I never got cold... My dives all ran between 48- 87 minutes, 3-4 dives a day...

Now... California diving :eek:

Oh... and I had a neoprene strap on my mask in Coz.... and my hair didn't get tangled. :p :p :p

santelmo
04-12-2007, 10:42 AM

are these what you are talking about earlier? i think these ones have more secure strap (w/ locks) rather than the ones w/ just velcro.

but i prefer the one where you just slip the rubber/silicone strap in between the neoprene cover. therefore still having the sturdy strap w/ less hair tangling and easy to put on. :D :rolleyes: :o :p

SoCalDiveGirl
04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
are these what you are talking about earlier? i think these ones have more secure strap (w/ locks) rather than the ones w/ just velcro.
but i prefer the one where you just slip the rubber/silicone strap in between the neoprene cover. therefore still having the sturdy strap w/ less hair tangling and easy to put on. :D :rolleyes: :o :p

The ones with velcro are just as bad, if not worse, than just the plain strap...
I use the ones that just slide on and cover the strap..

TravelnSJ
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
This is a great subject. I never wear a hood and many times when I get back on the boat....well after the SI....and everyone is putting on their BC's on....I'm frantically looking for my Mask.....earlier this year I set in in a tank hold...with divers coming back on board....grabbed it before the tank squashed it:eek: I'll start to think twice....probably put in my bag.

Munch
08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Have newly qualified from OW and done 4 dives. On 2 of these I have had to remove my hood twice due to it causing probs with my mask. I absolutely agree from now on I will only dive with the mask inside the hood.

As an after thought 17 degrees celcius without a hood is no probs, in fact it was quite refreshing but I wouldnt like to go too much colder

:iagree:

lars2923
08-31-2009, 12:39 AM
outside the hood