PDA

View Full Version : What is it about diving you like?

Sarah
04-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I thought I would open this discussion and poll up to see what it is that makes diving appeal to you.

I will start by saying it isn't really so much breathing underwater, which I know for many is a thrill, but it is about the beauty of the marine life. I would love to have a professional camera setup to capture it, but try buying all that on a college student budget!

For guys I know the gear and operating all the gear has it's appeal, and we love that about our guys....especially when we need things fixed around the house!

But I hear time and time again some divers, both men and women will dive in what many consider less than ideal conditions, like 3 meter visibility and nothing but sand.

So what appeals to you, and what appeals to you the most?

BamaCaveDiver
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I thought I would open this discussion and poll up to see what it is that makes diving appeal to you.

I will start by saying it isn't really so much breathing underwater, which I know for many is a thrill, but it is about the beauty of the marine life. I would love to have a professional camera setup to capture it, but try buying all that on a college student budget!

For guys I know the gear and operating all the gear has it's appeal, and we love that about our guys....especially when we need things fixed around the house!

It is all about the chicks and the toys;) It is also physical rehab for my battered body.

But I hear time and time again some divers, both men and women will dive in what many consider less than ideal conditions, like 3 meter visibility and nothing but sand.

So what appeals to you, and what appeals to you the most?

3M vis is considered great in some of the areas I have been in:eek: Being able to explore a portion of our planet that no other soul has ever ventured through makes it all worth while:cool:

Sarah
04-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Although too chicken, the idea of cave diving and seeing a part of the earth that no human has ever seen is REALLY cool.....

seasnake
04-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow ... "What I Love About SCUBA" is a book I haven't finished writing yet, but it will be lengthy! There is no quick and easy answer to that question. I used to say "wrecks" ... but I've come to realize that one of the biggest appeals for me is the sensation ... the feeling of hovering, the feeling of the water around me ... the serenity ... the sensation you get hovering beside a huge structure like a wreck or a wall in awesome viz, that sense of scale ... that really opens my valves, if you know what I mean! :) Plus all the other stuff too: the adventure, the challenge, the beauty, the mission, the freedom ... whew, I could go on and on!

Ron ...

SoCalDiveGirl
04-08-2007, 06:23 AM
For guys I know the gear

Ahhh gear... I can't ever get enough gear.... (I hope Joel's not reading this... he has my credit card #). :D

Divings appeal is easy. You enter another world... A world that is no longer yours and you are no longer top dog.... It can be a challenge... it can be like flying over the Grand Canyon in good vis... it can be like being inside of a washing machine on bad days... it can cause a fear like you've never experienced before, or an excitement you've never felt on the surface....... seeing and interacting with creatures that the majority of humans never see outside of the aquarium.... watching as a wreck come out of the gloom and into plain sight....

Ok, back to the gear :D

seasnake
04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Oh yeh, the gear. Did I mention the gear? Guys LOVE toys! :)

amtrosie
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I am with Bama Diver on the cave diving. I love the thought of seeing something that few-or-no one has seen. The untouched beauty that is found in caves is unrivaled. Out side of the caves, it is the whole marine enviroment that envelops me. The way I am de-stressed after a dive allows me to function away from the water. The precious ecology and the knowledge that the delicate balance is unmatched any where. The sheer beauty and the interaction of the marine life in maintaining the balance is always a source of wonderment to me. I never get out of the water without feeling that my brief visit to this marine wonderland has been an awesome privelage. I am always being asked "what do I see, or what is it like?" That I am a steward of this world always fills me with a sence of inadequacy.

The intense reliance on gear is about fourth or fifth down on my list, which is rather strange for me, given that my vocation is that of maintaining complex (and VERY MECHANICAL) aircraft. That attraction has dimed as I advance in years.

I will, without hesitation, leap into a conversation if it is about diving. Outside of that, I will say little. For I have little to say.

What do I like about diving? What is there not to like?

rubber chicken
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
When i was a kid, i used to sit, totally entranced, in front of the television watching the "undersea world of Jacques Cousteau". I was amazed at the fantastic experiences and life that J-Y and his crew had but believed that this was the sort of existence only available to the privileged few. A bit like being an Astronaut or explorer, I would only experience these things third hand.
Many years later, I decided, on a whim, to sell everything i owned and travel around the world. At some point on this journey i knew that i would be visiting Australia's Great Barrier reef. I wouldn't be satisfied seeing this through the bottom of a glass-bottomed boat so decided to visit a small dive shop that i had noticed hidden away down a side street in my local town. A brief chat with the owner and i allowed myself to be talked into signing up for an Open Water course.
After the usual skill sessions in the local municipal pool, the great day arrived and i found myself clad in tight fitting, ( and slightly smelly), neoprene staring down into the cold looking , green and murky water of the Royal Navy's former torpedo testing range at Horsea Island in Portsmouth on England's South Coast.
A few minutes later and i was under the surface, breathing and having the greatest time of my life! I have never looked back from that moment. As soon as the warm and fuzzy feeling of the post dive excitement is over, I am looking foreward to the next dive, be it supervising student divers in a cloud of silt or exploring a totally new site in crystal clear viz, i don't care! Just being underwater and breathing is such a fantastic honour that i frequently have to shake myself to prove that it is actually happening to me. I cannot articulate what, exactly, i find so mesmerising about the whole thing but I now define myself as a diver first and foremost and will remain so for the rest of my allotted time on this mortal coil.

BamaCaveDiver
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
...What do I like about diving? What is there not to like?

I think that last line sums it up rather well amtrosie :)

PinayDiver
04-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I dive because:

1. We’re more Water than Earth (the planet is misnamed :) ) and it would be a crime not to go-and-see for myself. And I’ve always understood that being a visitor demands all the courtesy due to the homeowners. The cautionary tale I heard as a student was of this diver whose body was fished out, whose death was a puzzle, until one of the rescuers found a textile cone shell in his pocket—such a tiny exotic souvenir, such a highly venomous mollusk residing within.

2. While whalesharks and manta rays are undisputed superstars, micro-life (with its constant plays on defense, offense, and interdependence) fascinates me as well. Shrimps that reside between the poison-tipped spines of urchins; vividly-colored nudibranchs that eat lethal sponges to ingest the toxins; the odd partnership between the blind goby shrimp (which cleans the burrow) and goby fish (which acts as “seeing eye”)…

3. Tethered by my reef hook or letting go, I enjoy riding the current like a kite.

4. I even like how the sea can choose to withhold, how we’re reduced to prayers and bargaining: Dear God, give us this day our manta, and we’ll be content and undemanding for the rest of the year.

5. I appreciate the built-in drama, how pressures and predators simply prompt unique adaptations (that I can surely take survivor lessons from :)). During especially good dives, I feel "connected," when the so-called tapestry of life is a tangible thing. After all, I share these creatures’ needs for space, oxygen, nourishment, reproduction (er, maybe not the last one. I’ve always contended that my brother had already fulfilled our mother’s grandkids’ quota :))

wetwillie
04-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I must agree, When i was a kid, I used to sit, totally entranced, in front of the television watching the "undersea world of Jacques Cousteau". My family had a Three acre "pond" in the front yard and every summer when I was 5 and up I would get put in a life jacket a m/s/f and dropped into the water for the day. I could swim through the pond weeds and see all kinds of fish...Only allowed to watch TV in the winter and when there was anything under water on I would grab the mask/snorkel/ fins and sit on the floor in my rescue raft and watch...now I sit in my recliner hooked up to my tank instead of the snorkle...j/k... but one of my favorite things about diving has to be the ol'fart in the wet suit.....it just plain tickels.... :eek:

jeff98208
04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
the reason i enjoy this sport is that we as divers get to see a part of this world that not many people world wide get to see. granted our sport is growing everyday, but a lot of people most likely will not strap on a b.c. or dive gear. and we are blessed with the encounters of the wild life in there tetatory and on there terms. being able to see the animals of the deep blue in the wild and NOT in some cage is what i like about diving, that and some make for great pictures and memories that won't be easily be forgotten. :D

phrenicnerve
04-21-2007, 05:01 AM
For me the animals are my first reason to dive. Growing up my family thought I was going to become a biologist of some sort because I was catching everything that came my way (snakes got me into trouble but I love them too), and you couldn't bribe me to get out of the water. My whole life I have obsessed about the ocean and aquariums, even spent money on aquariums when I shouldn't have - just so I could sit below it at night with the aquarium light on and stare up at the fish as if I were underwater. I jumped at the chance to actually scuba dive because it was obvious that it was what I was looking for. Water in general is comforting to me - even better to be floating weightless in it while staring up through hundreds of fish or kelp and having a relaxing swim. I still have many dives to do - night dives with mantas, diving with sharks, other big game fish as well as all the tiny creatures. Everything down there is fascinating and seems as if from another planet completely. :)

As far as where to dive and why is kinda difficult for me. I mean I spend time on airline ticket sights just to investigate what it will cost to fly to random places around the world to dive. Since I dove in Fiji last summer, southern california isn't exactly as exciting anymore, although I will still jump at the chance to go out this summer as much as possible.

I would say my interest is equally the animals and the nature of the underwater landscape now. I want to gear up for videography so I can load my movies into my mac's and start editing and scoring them with my own music.

littleleemur
12-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I just like being underwater.

Also, I can get away from my nagging mother. Quiet at last!

Tigerbeach
12-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I like being able to goof off on 7/10th more of the planets surface, that's why!
One thing that comes to mind (of many, I confess) is diving off of Catalina island with my buddy Pat. Catalina, for you out of area folk, is located off the coast of Southern California.
It is known for cold, clear water, as well as large quantity of fish, kelp forests and wrecks. The island drops off at a steep angle; mostly you dive the sides of the island unless there is something interesting on the sand at +/- 130 feet.
We were exploring in 80 feet, with maybe 60 feet of visibility when I saw a
30" horned shark. This little bottom feeder is harmless, unless you are a shrimp or something; anyway he got good and mad when I picked him up and held onto him with both hands.
Pat came up to investigate, and noticed "Sharky" wiggling around trying to bite me with his little nubby teeth.
Pat then had the bright idea to pull his glove halfway off, and offered the fingertips to the aforementioned predator.
Sharky chomped down; Pat pulled his hand out of his glove and began to laugh.

That was nothing compared to my laughter as I let go of Sharky, and he swam away quickly with Pats glove...

hbh2oguard
12-11-2007, 05:45 AM
I just like being underwater.

Also, I can get away from my nagging mother. Quiet at last!

Hey we have something in common....be careful.....I don't like you diving...you better never dive alone again....

But what always amazes me is the first step of two exiting a dive and how heavy all this stuff to put it nicely weighs. You kind of forget about it during the dive.

littleleemur
12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
.....I don't like you diving...you better never dive alone again....

You dive with your mommy? aw...how sweet :D

But what always amazes me is the first step of two exiting a dive and how heavy all this stuff to put it nicely weighs. You kind of forget about it during the dive

Each time I wonder why I do this, when all geared up and rocking back and forth on the boat in the heat waiting for my turn. Or when I first get into the42F water :eek:

hbh2oguard
12-12-2007, 03:00 AM
no not with my mommy..... by myself

42 deg F would give you a shock. I'm going to have to get use to colder water, not quite 42, because I'm moving to N. Cal for school. Hopefully my new wetsuit will keep me warm.

Papa Bear
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
You should be out of school by now ;) How about an update to lets us know if you're still diving and having fun!?