PDA

View Full Version : Sound of the Open Road

PinayDiver
03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Call for song recommendations!
Looking out the window as the sun's coming up (pulled an all-nighter to meet a work deadline), I realized it’s the first day of April, first day of Philippine summer…and the expected surge of people to the beaches would mean a slow-going road trip to and from the dive resorts.
Time to refresh the iPod playlist (every bit helps in keeping temperatures at an even keel :) )
And so, wanting to go beyond what I think I like, I’m very interested in hearing what the customized road-trip music of you divers here include…

Now playing as I'm about to click submit: “Summertime and the living is easy, fish are jumping, the cotton is high…”

Sarah
03-31-2007, 11:39 PM
I can think of an excellent, sing-along road song:

ziThYl6B2vw

Zero
04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
I can think of an excellent, sing-along road song:

ziThYl6B2vw

Ill ride shotgun:cool:

My must have would be:
Red War by Probot
Shake Your Blood by Probot
Bombs Over Bagdad by Outcast
Voodoo People by The Prodigy
Slam by Pendulum
Most Metallica Machine Head Sepultura S.O.A.D R.A.T.M Guns n Roses.......
Anything metal or fast to match the driving speed:eek:

Matt

PinayDiver
04-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Ok Sarah and Matt, adding metal to the summer playlist. An officemate (who's been trying to turn us on to it since he joined the workteam) was only too glad to hijack my iPod and load two CDs worth of S&M (from "The Esctasy of Gold" to "Battery")

He also sat me down to listen to Metallica's:
...And Justice For All
Breadfan
My Friend of Misery
One

Megadeth's
Skin O' My Teeth
Holy Wars
99 Ways to Die

and Rage Against the Machine's
People of the Sun
Bulls on Parade
Down Rodeo

...beaming like a proud parent throughout. I'm getting an education alright :)

Anymore suggestions?

What about when you're back in your resort room at the end of a 2-dive-day, trying to wind down, knowing you have to wake up early the next morning for a pre-breakfast dive date with thresher sharks?

Sarah
04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes,

Etlon John's classics, like

Tiny Dancer
60 years On
Funeral for a Friend/Love, Lies Bleeding
High Flying Bird
Levon
Roy Rogers
Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Madman Across the Water
Harmony

And since I just saw him play Saturday night at the Staples Center where the Lakers call home, Josh Grobin.

Zero
04-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Why wind down?:eek: Just keep charging hard.:D
Good Aussie band thats soft is The John Buttler Trio. Got a few of their albums
Jerry Cantrell ex Alice in Chains is also pretty good.

Matt

seasnake
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I like that Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20 kinda sound. But when divin' and drivin', nothing like some good ol' Canadian East Coast Celtic Rock. Check out the band Great Big Sea.

SoCalDiveGirl
04-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Pink Floyd, White Zombie, Chili Peppers, GnR, any & all of the 80's hair bands... :D

And of course the classic summertime band, The Beach Boys!

Daddy-h2O
04-05-2007, 12:27 AM
To wind down -
Anything by Van Morrison, Tom Waites, Bruce Springsteen, John Prine, David Bromberg, Jim Croce, Jerry Jeff, Muddy Waters, Charlie Musslewhite,Cats Stevens, Bob Dylan... Blues and Folk

Gettin Fired Up -
Tom Waites, Mojo Noxon, Saxon, Judas Priest, Jello Barafi (sp) The Gorilazas, AC/DC, Ray Charles, Ronnie Montrose, Old Rolling Stones (nothing past emotional rescue), Bob Seager, Tom Petty... Rock and Jazz

Sarah
04-05-2007, 12:52 AM
I really like music from the classic rock era.....

I need to add the Scorpions, and from the Stones, I so like Ruby Tuesday, Paint if Black and zY24FA6pZdc

As far as Pink Floyd, our publisher brought me back a DVD from the Philippines probably made in China that has 12 of their albums and he said it cost 90 pesos which is less than $2.

There's Shine On You Crazy Diamonds, and of course....

Hj1L5jxlY4U

Zero
04-05-2007, 03:47 AM
White Zombie

Black Sunshine would be a good cruising song when its stinking hot and your in an old convertable heading somewhere.

Matt

SoCalDiveGirl
04-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Black Sunshine would be a good cruising song when its stinking hot and your in an old convertable heading somewhere.

Matt

That actually sounds like fun :D

seasnake
04-05-2007, 01:48 PM
any & all of the 80's hair bands... :D

Ahhh, the '80's ... and the hair ... White Snake, Helix, Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, Scorpion . . . here in Canada we had Loverboy, Honeymoon Suite . . . good times ... :)

amtrosie
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Hj1L5jxlY4U

Good Grief!!! That is not classic!!! That is from my younger days!! Don't even start that "old" crap. Besides I am not the one who is 500 now.

BamaCaveDiver
04-05-2007, 06:42 PM

I need to add the Scorpions, and from the Stones, I so like Ruby Tuesday, Paint if Black and zY24FA6pZdc

As far as Pink Floyd, our publisher brought me back a DVD from the Philippines probably made in China that has 12 of their albums and he said it cost 90 pesos which is less than $2.

There's Shine On You Crazy Diamonds, and of course....

Hj1L5jxlY4U

Damn, talk about pushing all the right buttons to make an old fart feel nostalgic :eek: That Stones tune hit the scene when I was in HS, and yes there was this cute chick named Angie that had most of us drooling every time that song played (on the AM stations of course!) While overseas during the mid-70's, we spent many a night partying with a group called the Scorpions. Of course, back then they were little more than the house band at our favorite off-limits club. Just prior to returning stateside we got to see Led Zepplin live for the last time when they played Fourth of July weekend at the Olymipic Stadium in Munich (you should definitely add some Zep to your list!) I find it hard to believe that there are no Bono fans out there; U2 is another must have if you are into the serious years of rock ;)

PinayDiver
04-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Whoa. Just got back from Boracay Island (resisted entering any of the net cafes) to find that my sound-check list just got longer. What wonderful resource people! :)
BamaCaveDiver, I was in fact listening to U2 in part during the plane, van, and ferry trip to Boracay. I’m not sure from which tour this song set is from but it includes Bono’s cover of Lou Reed’s Satellite of Love and the audience clapping in rhythm just adds to the appeal.
There are also several medleys (You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away/All I Want is You; One/Unchained Melody; Angel of Harlem/Dancing Queen). Overplayed songs like Unchained Melody take on a surprising new quality. The audience even went into sing-along mode to Dancing Queen after Bono muttered “something, something” to replace forgotten lyrics; “It finally happened, we’re ****,” he said haha (if auto-censored with asterisks, the four letter word for manure). It’s fun to hear the crowd wolf-whistle then explode into a happy roar.
He also described Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World as a drinking song, inviting a woman from the audience to take a swig.
Your Stones tune and Angie? Mine was Mysterious Ways, playing at the University paper’s grad send-off party when the boys got it into their heads to group streak around the Sunken Garden and, not content, posed standing regally with their naked backs to the staff photographer -- as if we couldn’t identify them from their butts!. (Youthful exuberance as a final protest before having to march into a 9-to-5 cubicled existence?) Not exactly angsty but at least it’s a song association that makes me laugh to this day.
R.E.M.'s Nightswimming also inspired our much younger dormer selves to crash into the university pool supposedly closed for the night. Even harmless shenanigans like that require a soundtrack :)

PinayDiver
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Matt: You'd be horrified to learn that I first heard of John Buttler Trio’s “What You Want” as a mobile ring tone. Cantrell, I know of course; “Spiderbite” and “Anger Rising” come to mind.

Sarah: speaking of Elton John, largely due to (the return-to-romance of) Moulin Rouge, “Your Song” is quite popular in these parts.

Daddy-h2O: Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Cats Stevens, Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Ray Charles, Rolling Stones – check!

Ron: Matchbox Twenty’s Mad Season is in one of my CD crates somewhere. During office outings (read: compulsory) where I expend energy avoiding being roped in for videoke (can’t carry a tune), I noted that “Unwell” seems to have become a kind of anthem (replacing their fathers’ “My Way”?).

Missy: I have Pink Floyd’s Final Cut (which includes “Shine on You Crazy Diamond” that Sarah likes), Chili Peppers’ Stadium Arcadium, and Beach Boys’ Sounds of Summer. I once tentatively asked my music-pusher for White Zombie, he gave me The Zombies (“She’s Not There,” etc.), so I just went uh, okay :)

seasnake
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Don't forget Matchbox 20's SCUBA song ..... "Bent". :D

SoCalDiveGirl
04-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I once tentatively asked my music-pusher for White Zombie, he gave me The Zombies (“She’s Not There,” etc.), so I just went uh, okay :)

hahahahahahah Thats funny :D :D Living Dead Girl vs She's Not There--- yeah, i can see the similarities :confused:

I still think the Beach Boys are the ultimate summer driving sounds..... :)

phrenicnerve
04-12-2007, 01:32 AM
If you get to drive along side the sea, Ravel and Debussy. They were impressionistic composers, which is a style of music that is, well, "watery" if you get what I mean.

Ravel: Complete Music for Solo Piano - Abbey Simon (pianist) - compilation CD

Debussy: La Mer (The Sea) - Debussy, The Cleveland Orchestra & Chorus, and Pierre Boulez (my favorite recording of this piece).

also,

Chopin: Abbey Simon (pianist) - compilation CD
Chopin Nocturnes: Abbey Simon

...from there it goes a different direction for me:

Tool, Corrosion Of Conformity, Down, Pantera, Black Label Society, Sepultura, Soulfly, Melvins, Opeth, Machine Head, Candiria, Fear Factory (song "Descent" on album Obsolete is a must crank for me when I hit PCH and start down the coast! ;)), Celtic Frost - HairNation on Sirius radio is cool until Bon Jovi or Warrant gets played, then an abrupt change to HeartAttack is in order.

:cool:

Area 33 has some good ambient electronic music...

:)

iTunes radio is even better! ChroniX Aggression for metal, radioioAmbient for sex, err, I mean chilling out.

peace!

phrenicnerve
04-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Oh man two I forgot:

Fleetwood Mac
Billy Squire

;)

PinayDiver
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I got to thank you phrenicnerve. I’ve been largely ignoring internet radio until your prompting to explore iTunes radio. Found radioioAmbient in the listing and how could I possibly resist its “sensual, evocative, and thoughtful exotic electronica” description? :) Kid in the candy store.

Ron: “Bent,” why of course (bop on the head), the thought (scuba song) did cross my mind :)

Missy: On the subject of “mistaken identities,” you know what’s even funnier? Today at lunch, an officemate told me about “The Archive of Misheard Lyrics” where people own up to what they once insisted as the right words to the song. Song: U2’s Mysterious Ways. Real lyrics: She moves in mysterious ways. Misheard as: Shamu the mysterious whale LOL

onebourbon
04-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Ok...

La Grange - ZZ Top
Low Rider - War
Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles... of course...
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

PinayDiver
04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Ray Charles, why of course :) First mention of Hendrix, about time too :)

Hey, in case you guys haven't tripped upon this, and seeing that you all take pleasure in a wide range of music, thought I'd post this link to an article I found interesting:

"Can one of the nation's greatest musicians cut through the fog of a D.C. rush hour? Gene Weingarten set out to discover if violinist Josh Bell -- and his Stradivarius -- could stop busy commuters in their tracks."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Features audio and video of Joshua Bell's Complete Metro Station Performance. Would you have stopped, listened, recognized "genius"? :) A friend said some people later wrote in to say that they cried while reading the article (and, well, he also adds that these are probably the ones who paid big $$$ to see him perform on stage haha)

PinayDiver
08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-htEntVJNvQ

Tigerbeach
08-24-2007, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mtSjQvk3o

Or relax to Radiohead...

Phlocker
08-25-2007, 01:37 AM
What the hell is everyone thinking!
All these divers out there and we don't have a Parrothead in the bunch.
If your winding down from a great day of diving you have to listen to a little Jimmy Buffett.
Havana Day Dreaming
Livin and dying in 3/4 time
Wondering why we ever go home
He went to Paris
The Captian and the Kid

come on now guys

BamaCaveDiver
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
What the hell is everyone thinking!
All these divers out there and we don't have a Parrothead in the bunch.
If your winding down from a great day of diving you have to listen to a little Jimmy Buffett.
Havana Day Dreaming
Livin and dying in 3/4 time
Wondering why we ever go home
He went to Paris
The Captian and the Kid

come on now guys

What, no Cheeseburger in paradise, no Mother Mother Ocean, no Pirate looks at 40? Been a Parrot head for many years ;)

PinayDiver
08-25-2007, 04:09 PM
What, no Cheeseburger in paradise, no Mother Mother Ocean, no Pirate looks at 40? Been a Parrot head for many years ;)

What? No Fins, One Particular Harbour, Son of a Son of a Sailor (obviously trying to recall ocean-related titles here) and (having run out, hehe) -- a nod to your online name -- Bama Breeze? :)

PinayDiver
08-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Or relax to Radiohead...

Tigerbeach
08-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Cool! Thanks Lu-Ann!

Phlocker
08-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Cool, I knew there had to be some fellow parrotheads out there!
I've been a fan for the last 25years and go to his show every year when he comes to Cincy. I even got to get up on stage with him once, after winning a costume contest. The whole experience was such a rush! :D

PinayDiver
08-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Cool! Thanks Lu-Ann!

No trouble, Anthony.

Here's Sarah's instructions from the "pistol shrimp" thread --

"The upper right hand corner of a Youtube video shows the video address. Copy that. When you make a post, there is a little multicolored film reel icon in the pallete of tools. Click on that, paste in the entire url address to the Youtube video, and that should do it."

Easy peasy :)

PinayDiver
08-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Cool, I knew there had to be some fellow parrotheads out there!
I've been a fan for the last 25years and go to his show every year when he comes to Cincy. I even got to get up on stage with him once, after winning a costume contest. The whole experience was such a rush! :D

Which begs the question: what was your winning costume? :)

Phlocker
08-26-2007, 03:36 AM
Ok. Having problems loading up some photos. T:D 307

308s is the one with me on stage. Im the one in the palm tree headdress and the fake hula girls.
I made my son the same costume, and we made up a dance routine to the song "What if the hokey Pokey , is really what it's all about"
Big fun!!

PinayDiver
08-26-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm surprised that your palm tree headwear didn't attract genuine hula girls :D

Sounds like a great time, especially for your son (oh the stories about his dad he would tell :) )

Diverdaniel
08-26-2007, 08:07 AM
cool thread

PinayDiver
08-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Daniel,
You forgot to say what rings your bell (you know, like a passphrase to this thread, i'm kidding :D )

lottie
08-26-2007, 01:22 PM
And so, wanting to go beyond what I think I like, I’m very interested in hearing what the customized road-trip music of you divers here include…

What about "in the summertime" by Mungo Jerry
or Summertime by Will Smith & Jazzy P

or, for something completely different - whatabout Soca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soca_music) or Reggae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae)

PinayDiver
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyAf45bCRE

acelockco
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh no, you did not go to Bob, no that is MY kind of music. Here is a great Bob song that I just love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAsK4IXK8nA

Boy something smells great around here!