PDA

View Full Version : Poseidon's new Tech backplate

Sarah
03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.poseidon.se/images_prod/tp_XXL.jpg

What do you think?

Zero
03-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Nice but definatley not DIR. I wonder how finiky the main buckle it.

Matt

seasnake
03-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeh, I can see the boys will have some problems with that. Looks pretty though. Carbon fiber backplate?

amtrosie
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't see where you attach to tanks? Be it doubles or single tank. Also what is the purpose of the small "D-ring" on the L/H side of the waist strap? The main waist strap buckle looks very suspicious. I would like to see this up close though. If the back plate is carbon fiber, that is not neccasssarily the best. I use a SS or Aluminum back plates depending on the weight requirerments of the configuration of the particular dive set-up.

BamaCaveDiver
04-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Looks fancy, but not functional to me. I see no holes in the plate, so I must assume that this is a singles rig. The carbon fiber is sure to be nice and light (if not bouyant), which means you will need to pack more weight on your belt. That three-way buckle is a failure point just waiting to happen from my perspective. I would venture that buckle will cost > 3-4 times what a standard buckle currently costs, and be a lot more likely to fail. So, while it does look nice and would make the owner tyhe winner of "he with the coolest toys" contest, I prefer to keep my simple and very functional plates that I currently dive.

grim reefer
04-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Get you some Poseidon regs, OMS double bondage wings, Steel deco tanks with your 32% & 80%, Self donning body bag and your ready to die...oops
I mean dive :D j/k

amtrosie
04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I have got to agree with Bama Diver here. Too many failure/ entanglement hazards. The loops on the shoulder straps are a problem waiting to happen. That buckle does not look functional.

Archangel
05-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Get you some Poseidon regs, OMS double bondage wings, Steel deco tanks with your 32% & 80%, Self donning body bag and your ready to die...oops
I mean dive :D j/k

Hoo rah!

. . . . . strokalicious at best, downright dangerous at worst. Wrong forum to post this in. . . . This would be a great BP for PADI DSAT!

Definitely NOT Doing it Right!

The Publisher
05-08-2007, 03:49 AM
The backplate is not carbon fiber, the weave appearance is a surface finish process to make it look like CFRP.

The harness buckle rotates to release.

amtrosie
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Hoo rah!

. . . . . strokalicious at best, downright dangerous at worst. Wrong forum to post this in. . . . This would be a great BP for PADI DSAT!

Definitely NOT Doing it Right!

Could not agree more!!

Since when does the "simple" un-emcumbered DIR system need to be improved upon with excessive failure/snag points?

oceanjam
05-29-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't DIR (or at least I haven't taken a course), but this backplate, called platform, certainly looks too complicated to work with. That 3-point waist buckle looks like something out of a toddler's car seat. It isn't designed for the wings to be sandwiched in between the backplate and the tank either, instead the wing seems to bolt on to the edge of the plate, making for a disaster waiting to happen if it comes loose. Poseidon makes some great equipment, i love the regs. I think this one is a loser though.

Scott K
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM

What do you think?

One of the reasons for using a stainless backplate is to take weight from the waist and move it closer to your center of gravity. Same with weighted STA, heavy backplates, etc. Not so much an issue for warm water divers in thin suits, but a real issue for cold water divers.

The buckle is an abomination. Absolutely unlike anything else in the industry; if you ever got into trouble any diver coming across you would be wasting precious time trying to figure out how to release it. *Everyone* is trained to configure your realease so that a diver can come up behind you, reach around with the right hand, find and pull the release.

One of the beautiful things about diving with people with backplates, wings and Hogarthian systems is that I know their gear, they know mine. I know where everything is, how to get them out of it should the need arise.

Innovation for the sake of innovation, change for the sake of change is often a step sideways or backwards, and sometimes potentially dangerous.

This is one of those things that both divers in a buddy team would have to do drills on and re-train the brain and muscle memory.

Two thumbs down.

Scott K
06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
The backplate is not carbon fiber, the weave appearance is a surface finish process to make it look like CFRP.

The harness buckle rotates to release.

So what material is it, and why would they want to make "something" look like carbon fibre that isnt?

Sarah
06-12-2007, 11:43 PM
For the same reason manufacturers claim their wetsuits are lined with titanium.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 06:37 AM

What do you think?

Urban backpack & chastity belt in one? Fantastic for the New York Rocky Horror Masquerade Party I've been invited to. :eek:

stephenv1
10-22-2008, 05:31 AM
I would not take that plastic dinky toy into a cave.
I love my Stainless Backplate and solid 1 piece webbing.

scuba smurf
10-25-2008, 04:22 PM
certainly interesting. I wonder what they had in mind when they were designing this