PDA

View Full Version : Hello divers!

phrenicnerve
03-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced open water scuba diver from Los Angeles, Ca. I certified last summer and completed my certification with deep dive, navigation, wreck, nitrox, and peak bouyancy. Thinking about doing the rescue diver program this summer. I dove Fiji last summer, unbelievable. Wall diving is unreal. This summer I'll be spending time in Cabo, Mexico and am looking forward to diving out there.

Cheers everyone - I love the Sea!

Zero
03-24-2007, 08:12 AM
G'day and welcome aboard.

Matt

jeff98208
03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
greatings and welcome to our little humble aboad! i'm wanting to do the wreck and cavern diving as well. later !!!

Sarah
03-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi Phrenic, welcome to the board.

So where in Fiji did you go diving?

phrenicnerve
03-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey - thank you for the warm welcome guys! :)

Fiji - the dive sites I visited were called North Save A Tac, Chimney(aka Thumbs Up), Dreamhouse, and Hole in the Wall. The latter was an intense wall diving experience. Crystal clear water that drops off below your fins into black is a bit intense at first, if you know what I mean! I almost felt like I wanted to grab on to the wall out of fear of falling! :eek: There were moments when I felt like I was hovering over the grand canyon. Unbelievable.

This summer I'll be in Cabo, Mexico. Anyone been down there? Seems there should be some killer diving.

peace

Sarah
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Cabo diving is tourist trapy out of San Lucas. They take you to a place called sand falls, where it is just a steep bottom dropoff of nothing but sand everywhere, and if the sand doesn't fall off the edge, the guides will dutifully move to the top and start pushing it with their hands.

There are some large rocky areas in the south part of the bay where they take snorkelers that has some tropicals but it is primarily fish, no inverts and no plants to speak of.

I think Cabo Palmillo or Palmillo Beach has some decent diving with a coral reef, but nothing compared to Fiji.

Others have said they enjoyed diving with a Cabo outfit, so your experience may vary, lol.

phrenicnerve
03-30-2007, 05:33 AM
"it is just a steep bottom dropoff of nothing but sand everywhere, and if the sand doesn't fall off the edge, the guides will dutifully move to the top and start pushing it with their hands." :eek: :rolleyes: err, that sounds embarassing actually. Underwater comedy I guess.

I have heard similar reports about Cabo and the amazing, uh, sand. Starting to feel relieved that I am there for a friends wedding. Jeez! Any news on sport fishing? Supposed to be an adventure down there also - I was going to do both. You think they plant divers down there to hook a fish for you? ;)

:cool:

Sarah
03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I went diving in Cabo awhile ago, and went out with some of the guys in our group who invited me to go fishing with them.

The fishing is even more tourist trapy!

The prices are 50% higher than Loreto, and the fishing is not as good as in Loreto.

When you leave with your pangadero in the early am, rather then catching your own caballitos, which really aren't little horses as the incorrect Spanish name implies, they refuse to allow you to easily catch your own, because you are their mark and they are on the grift, so they have their cousin/nephew/uncle/brother/son/ waiting who just spent the last five minutes catching them who conveniently shows up with the bait and then the pangadero conveniently springs on you at the last minute that you need to pay at least $1.50 for each small baitfish.

After that scam is done, the reality is they really don't plan on real fishing with the bait they just scammed you into buying, they intend on trolling on the south side of the San Lucas point. This is where you will be sleeping on the boat for hours on end till some fish is unlucky enough to take your trolled metal lure, if at all.

Tell the pangadero you want to catch your own bait before you even hire him, tell him you want him to look for circling frigate birds with binoculars which follow big game fish, tell him you want lunch on the boat with cold drinks, and you expct him to have a full box of tackle and fishing gear, including throwing out his own lines and if he gets a hookup, handing it to you. You'll then expect that he will fillet anything caught and properly wrap it without letting flies eat, lay eggs and take a dump on the fillets sitting in the warm sun breeding salmonella.

Still want to go "feeshing"?

;)

phrenicnerve
03-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Woa :eek: ...you must have had an unbelievably bad time in Cabo.

They advertise as catch and release, not that I don't eat seafood anyway, but curious that you are talking about fish baking in the sun. Most charters will immediately bury that in ice and freeze it.

I am staying in a hotel so I don't need fish to take with me. Catch and release would be fine but I'd be real bummed bobbing around on a boat doing nothing. Sitting in a pool drinking sounds better.

Please tell me what the season was when you went. Also, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Hotel - know anything about it? Is it worth being there for more than 3 days?

I can't skip out on my pals wedding. Who knows something about Cabo other than the tourist trap crap? Even Fiji has touristy cheese, but it never matters if you find the right spots.

I'll have to do more research.

Sarah
03-31-2007, 03:00 AM
If you drink the bars are a blast.

The fishing is good if you take control, although expensive.

Rent a car and go to Palmillo Beach and go diving there....much better than in Cabo.

I went in the summer, it was terribly hot and humid.