PDA

View Full Version : PrincetonTec Miniwave

dakuwanga
03-21-2007, 03:52 AM
I picked up a PrincetonTec Miniwave LED cheap the other day - my question is this:

Can you use NiMH batteries in the Miniwave? - the reason I ask this is that there is a rechargable version of the torch for considerably more $$$. From what I can see the rechargable model comes with "Industrial Nicad Battery Pack, and Charger" - they also state that the rechargable models can simply be converted to a "non recharge" model by simply using alkaline batteries. My assumption is that it is the same torch - except you are paying more for the batteries and charger, and that you should be able to use NiMH batteries in the "standard" model.

If someone can help - it would be appreciated - as I have sent 3 messages to PrincetonTec and they have yet to reply.

Jason

Admin
03-21-2007, 04:04 AM
We will get a definitive answer from PT for you the beginning of next week.

dakuwanga
03-21-2007, 04:18 AM
That was quick - thanks for the reply

Jason

dakuwanga
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Just received a reply back from PT - they say:
"According to our engineering department you can use anything except Lithium Batteries in the Miniwave." - originally I would have liked this information prior to purchasing the torch as it was info I needed to choose what I would buy. But I took a punt and acquired the torch anyway - lucked out.

ps - great little torch (out of the water anyway) - I will be testing it out on the "Currajong" tonight (wreck in Sydney Harbour).

Jason

Zero
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
It should be good. I just did 70 minutes at Camp Cove and it was great. Warm and pretty clean with lots to see. Not much rust though.

Matt

dakuwanga
03-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Well it did the job - lit the Currajong up as I expected - the LED produced a real nice white light - and the miniwave is much smalled than I had expected, which is good. Even took it out to Spider Reef (off Shellharbour) to find the sea spiders - nice torch

acelockco
07-01-2007, 03:23 PM
One of my dive buddys just got the Shockwave which is the larger version of this light. We went diving the other day and when he turned that light on, it felt like the sun had just turned on. The light is amazingly bright, and the color of the light is pure white making everything pop! I am sure the mini wave is almost the same with about 1/2 the power but the same color.

Now I need to get my hands on one of them!