PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing?

amtrosie
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I was involved in a very informative discussion yesterday, in which it was pointed out that the world's water quality is degrading quite rapidly, and the consequence of that degradation was the killing off of many kinds of plant forms. With the plants being choked off by the toxic water, various fish life is killed or driven away, and in it's place left unchecked, are the parasites that destroy the local ecology. This in-turn destroys the next higher form of life in the ecological system. And so the domino effect takes root.

My question is this: How long are we as divers going to let this degrading of the world's water supply go unchecked? We benefit directly by having a viable source of water to dive in and the creatures milling over the reef, wreck, shore line, etc. If this is allowed to die off, what have we to enjoy?

It may be time for us divers to start becoming more proactive in the fight against irresponsible water use and disposal. Why not start using the LDS and local dive clubs as a conduit for information? More importantly, AWARENESS!!! We have a WONDERFULL resource, I personally do not want lose it to irresponsible behaviour.

Sarah
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
The issue is divers do not have a lobby, cash and therefore political clout. Politicians are bought by special interests and until divers can become a political force, we're up against steep odd.

If divers joined up with responsible eco-groups (as opposed to anarchy freaks & weirdos) who already are established, it might be a better tactic.

The thought of having to even have lobby to protect the environment is absurd and demonstrates how far we have to go.

amtrosie
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't neccessarily think that a lobby is required. I do think that for the LOCAL politicians to take notice, they have to see a segment of the community express interest/outrage at the continued degradation of the enviroment. This is where the various LDS's in the area, along with the dive clubs could really be the source of for public response. As soon as the politician is made aware of a segment of thier constituency is upset with a political stance, things happen.

My local area has a very few, very vocal individuals that are in opposition to our local airport. The politicos have hurt themselves in their attempts to placate these few individuals. Change can be effected, it just has to take some dedicated interest.

I don't disagree that linking up with a eco-awareness group(s) is a better option, but like you, think very few of them are reasonable or responsible.

This is simply meant as a prod, to generate thought, and hopefully talk. The action will naturally follow.

fooddude
08-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree. Let's march on Washington! Scuba Divers Unite!

Actually, I too, started a post about wanting to protect the resource we so love (re: six-pack rings). I am open to ideas and willing to work to get things going. Let's try to develop a form letter we can distribute throughout the LDS's, this and other sites that divers can use to send off to their local politicians. The more we innundate them with this important issue, the better chance we have.

Here's a thought despite what anyone may think of him...let's get Mr. Gore involved. He has a big mouth and a venue to use it.

Get to work, TEAM SCUBA!

acelockco
08-15-2007, 11:55 PM
If the divers want to really make a difference, then we should all never have children. If you really think about it, most of the worlds problems are caused by over population of our planet. If there were only 1/12 of the population of humans on our planet, the planet would be in much better shape and we would not be having all of these problems.

Papa Bear
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
You have to be kidding! You can't breath without a permit in this country! Where is all this pollution coming from? Big business? Is Wal-Mart dumping tons of toxic waste at the back of a super center? Or maybe Mr. Burns hes all about ripping the poor citizens of Springfield off!

So why do we allow generalities in this subject? If it is Mr. Burns let someone know! It would be big headline news! It is easy to speak about the evil doers and point fingers! Yet the ocean is the cleanest it has been since I started diving!

Unless we kill all the babies at a higher rate than we do now! How are we going to solve the problem? We have the cleanest water in the world here, so I don't know where your talking about? Florida also has very clean water and an amazing underground system that cleans the dirtiest water you can imagine!

Are we dumping things from Uranus into the streams? Then it all started here on earth and it is returning to the bottom of the sea where the mantel will fold it up into a mountain in the future! I don't know how some people can continue to live on the **** hole earth? Since your so aware of the pollution and we know its your fault, then get off the planet will you!

We are doing everything that can be done and guess what the Ocean and the Reefs are fine! You can keep diving and enjoying the pristine Reefs advertised in brochures from around the world! Pretty big place!

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 01:57 AM
The dive shops around me bicker so much about silly things and back-stab each other, they can't even get their act together to chip in CAN$5 per diver to raise money to buy a Navy Destroyer to sink as a recreational dive site or petition Rockport to allow divers back onto Sparrow Island to use the porta-pottys!

Papa Bear
03-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Now that is the right kind of thing to do! We need more fish habitat and artificial reefs! That is the kind of constructive thing that can and should be done! If the Taxpayers can pay to moth ball their ships then the government should spend the money to solve two problems with one sinking! This is the kind of actions we need! Get them organized!;)

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Now that is the right kind of thing to do! We need more fish habitat and artificial reefs! That is the kind of constructive thing that can and should be done! If the Taxpayers can pay to moth ball their ships then the government should spend the money to solve two problems with one sinking! This is the kind of actions we need! Get them organized!;)

Blood runs thick here in Canada!

The ideal scenario would be a bunch of LDS owners sharing beers and a hot tub over shared mutal BBQs & backrubs with all their affiliated divers w/ free smores, fireworks and campfire sing-alongs. :eek:

The most likely scenario would be assimliation by the Borg and then they would all wear their wetsuits in shopping malls and loading docks banging their tankbangers for donations into a lootbag. a la Salvation Army. :rolleyes:

Via the grapevine: the closest they ever came to co-operation was a few years back when a strange New Age religious group came over from the US to the Canadian side of the ST Lawrence to practice their spiritual cleansing ritual of banging pots and pans, howling, screeching and chanting through all hours of the night. There was a combined supersoaker attack from various LDS members across 5 campgrounds who were suffering from narcossis of a different variety. :D

Papa Bear
03-20-2008, 03:25 AM
Now that's funny! Did you know the ship we have in San Diego called the Yukon was a Canadian Destroyer and now is in 105ft of water making a great artificial reef:D ;) This kind of thing does more for the environment than all the tree planting! I guess a lot of people haven't seen all the tress in the Northwest Territory?

littleleemur
03-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Now that's funny! Did you know the ship we have in San Diego called the Yukon was a Canadian Destroyer and now is in 105ft of water making a great artificial reef:D ;) This kind of thing does more for the environment than all the tree planting! I guess a lot of people haven't seen all the tress in the Northwest Territory?

The Yukon was the one we lost! :(

LDS/various clubs/even the non-profits were too busy bickering amongst themselves. They were still hand-at-throat when the sinking was announced & the general reaction here was "it sold already?!" :eek:

:o -sigh- :o

Papa Bear
03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Sorry! Your loss was our gain and it is a very cool dive, so thanks keep sending them our way;) :rolleyes: