PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, from the greater Chicago area...

gangrel441
03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi!

I am a divemaster candidate from the northwest burbs of Chicago. Been diving since 1987 (high school), took over a decade off, started again in 2001 and have been diving actively ever since.

Been to Aruba, Curacao, south FL (snorkeling - long story), Riviera Maya, Coz, Costa Rica (Playa Hermosa), and out for a week on the Belize Aggressor III. Also, done some wreck diving here on Lake Michigan, and looking to do much more of that in the near future. Should be getting my first drysuit in June or so, and will be buying my first set of doubles as soon as a friend of mine gets them back from hydro and sells them to me. ;)

In October, the wife and I plan to go to Bonaire, and in May 2007 we are aiming for Roatan. Anyone care to meet us at either? :D

rubber chicken
03-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Welcome.

What is the diving like in Lake Michigan? Any life?

Sarah
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Welcome Gangrel!

Of all those places you've been, which had the most marine life in the way of macro critters for underwater photographers?

gangrel441
03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Welcome.

What is the diving like in Lake Michigan? Any life?

Water's pretty clear...usually around 30-40 foot vis on the southern end in mid-summer, better when you go deeper and further north. Zebra mussels saw to that.

Not a whole lot of indigenous life. Zebra mussels and round gobies are both invasive, and they are most of the life you are likely to see. Occasionally I have seen a largemouth bass or school of perch. Sculpins are plentiful, and they are indigenous. If you see any salmon, they are stocked, but I haven't seen them except when I was using a line and hook from a boat...

Wrecks are the main attraction in the Great Lakes. Not so much on the critters. I have seen photos of some pretty cool stuff, though...namely freshwater sponges and tunicates. I wouldn't count on seeing them on a dive, though...

In-tact wooden schooners that sank over a century ago, on the other hand....that is really something to see! ;)

gangrel441
03-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Welcome Gangrel!

Of all those places you've been, which had the most marine life in the way of macro critters for underwater photographers?

Macro.....I'd have to say a toss-up between Curacao and the Belize atolls. I may change my answer after my trip to Bonaire in October.

If you're looking for Macro, Pacific Costa Rica is definately NOT the place for you, I can tell you that much. 30-50 ft vis, with lots of plankton, very little in the way of hard corals and no reef structure....but if you want to see big pelagic stuff, this is the place for you! Saw 4 white tip reef sharks, wife saw a manta ray, plenty of moray eels, a few Volkswagon-sized turtles...

jeff98208
03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
welcome to our little homble aboad. have a rockin' day and keep on diving!

Zero
03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
G'day and welcome aboard.

Matt