PDA

View Full Version : New Olympus E-410

allisonfinch
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
;)

I can't wait. I came back from Indonesia determined to upgrade my 5060 to an SLR E-330. Now, it looks like Oly is coming out with a smaller DSLR with the live view. It looks like it will be a great camera for underwater. People are already preordering it. I just contacted Ikelite to see when, or if, they plan to produce a housing for it. I am hoping that they don't use the same large "box" that they use for the full sized DSLR's. If they can produce a smaller DSLR housing for this camera, it will be perfect for long distance travel.

HERE'S HOPING!!!!:D :D

Sarah
03-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Allison,

I did a lot of research for you, and here is the Oly housing:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/pt-e03.jpg

Specs state: The TTL flash connector allows optional use of the Olympus FL-36 TTL flash with the PFL-01 & PFL-E01 flash housing. Five interchangeable lens ports allow the optional use of the Olympus 14-45mm, 14-42mm, 11-22mm or 14-54mm, 7-14mm, 8mm Fisheye and the 35mm as well as the 50mm Macro lens.

I can see how Ikelite would be a preferred housing vendor though. What a tiny but powerful camera!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/OlympusE410.jpghttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/iDiveChick/Olympus-E410-Back.jpg

allisonfinch
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I knew Oly made a housing, but as an Oly camera user I have never been impressed by their quality. I did own one, once. I prefer the Ikelite housing. That way my two Ike strobes will have a TTL connection with the camera. Ikelite contacted me and said they have not decided to make one yet. It needs to be released and interest shown to merit the expense of designing/producing one.
:cool:

Sarah
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Good tip then about what your experiences were with Oly housings.

On your behalf we got a hold of our contacts at Ikelite and they are aware of the Oly and are currently evaluating producing a housing for this.

santelmo
03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
oooooooohh.... i want 1... do you think olymups E-410 could outmatch canon EOS 400D and nikon D80? :confused:

@diverep: you're a Olympus user right? what can you say? how much will this new model cost? btw, you're friends w/ a Olympus distributor/dealer right? can we get a discount? hehehehe :D

diverep
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
oooooooohh.... i want 1... do you think olymups E-410 could outmatch canon EOS 400D and nikon D80? :confused:

@diverep: you're a Olympus user right? what can you say? how much will this new model cost? btw, you're friends w/ a Olympus distributor/dealer right? can we get a discount? hehehehe :D

Sure Karl just drop by the shop:)

santelmo
03-10-2007, 07:15 AM
so which is best? Canon eos 400D? Nikon D80? Sony A-100? or Olympus E-410? :confused: sooo many to choose from.... :rolleyes:

allisonfinch
03-12-2007, 12:07 AM
:o

What intrigued me about the 410 is the ability to use live view to help frame your photos. I hate the idea of my eye in the viewfinder 24/7. There are times I want to push the housing near a moray (or something equally nasty) and I don't want to HAVE to put my face there too. The 410 lets you use either live view or view finder.

My concern is that Ikelite will use the same basic outer housing they use for the larger SLR's. It would negate the advantage of buying such a small and portable SLR. I love the dual card slots. It is nice to have two cards that you can switch back and forth on.

Allright Ikelite! You have the chance to match up with a really nice camera and offer a small, efficient housing for it. A truely fine set-up.

allisonfinch
03-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Also, Oly uses the 4/3 format which is designed for digital cameras. They haven't hung onto the old 3/2 format used by the film SLR's. I see Leica and Panasonic are also producing 4/3 format cameras too. See the future.....:D

Sarah
03-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Allison,

I know all the pros use huge rigs like Nikon D200's, but I am with you, if I can get equal optical quality, the smaller, the better, and if that Olympus does what it claims, that might fit the bill, IF Ike makes a matching compact housing.

Can you explain for what the live view thing is in comparison to just looking at the lcd preview screen on the rear?

I also noticed an Oly E-500.

santelmo
03-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Allison,

Can you explain for what the live view thing is in comparison to just looking at the lcd preview screen on the rear?

yeah...pls do so :D

i also read about e-510. it's almost similar to the 410 but w/o the underwater mode. so i would prefer 410. :p

allisonfinch
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
The live view is the screen on the back. Other SLR's don't use that to frame the shots, only to view them after the fact.;)

santelmo
03-23-2007, 08:47 AM
ohh ok... :D

PinayDiver
03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Hello Diverep,
What did you end up recommending to Santelmo? (I'm admittedly cheating a bit on narrowing down my choices :) )

allisonfinch
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Allison,

I know all the pros use huge rigs like Nikon D200's, but I am with you, if I can get equal optical quality, the smaller, the better, and if that Olympus does what it claims, that might fit the bill, IF Ike makes a matching compact housing.

Actually, I have met quite a few pros who don't use D200's. Canons are popular and I have seen a very reputable Dutch photographer who swears by her Olympus. You nevver know....

SoCalDiveGirl
04-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I've been looking at the 330 and 510 also--- but having to wait for Ikelite to start producing the housing for the 510 is a definite drawback..
I did contact Ikelite about it and here was their response:

Missy,

It's too early. We plan to offer a housing for the Evolt 510, but we have not yet assessed the camera. Please check back in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for the inquiry.
Regards,

Brett Foster / Ikelite

Sarah
04-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Missy, they said the same thing to me 3-4 weeks ago.

There are soooo many cameras, and they change so often, and each housing has to be specific to each camera, that it is a nightmare for manufacturers!

Especially considering it is not like they sell 5000 housings of one type.....

At least the D200 body has been a standard for quite some time.

As soon as I hear if they plan on going ahead I'll let you and Allison know. :)

LVX
12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Hello,

I am reviving this thread because I now know that ikelite offers housings for both the E410 and E510. I was wondering if anyone was using either setup and what your thoughts were about this camera. I am trying to upgrade from the Olympus C8080 (hate it) and find a new camera to fit my needs.

Any thoughts on other choices would be helpuful. Here is what I am looking for.

Eye-start Autofocus (Sony A100)
Built-in Anti Shake (Sony A100, Oly E510, Canon G9, Samsung GX-10)
Anti Dust (Sony A100, oly E510, Samsung GX-10, Canon G9)
compact flash (oly E510)
3" display (Canon G9)
Live view (oly E510, Canon G9)
live view histogram (Canon G9, oly E510)
Rotating images on LCD screen (oly E510, Sony A100, Canon G9)
weather protection (Samsung GX-10)

thanks again

Layne

LVX
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, I decided against any of the cameras I listed and went with the Pentax K10D. I got the camera about a week ago and so far I am very impressed. I will report more later once I have put it through its paces...

Layne