PDA

View Full Version : How often and who services your dive gear?

Papa Bear
01-27-2013, 11:59 PM
I do at least an annual service on my gear! It is too important and why in the world would you spend a pile of money to take your gear half way around the world to have it fail or pay someone in a foreign location to "Try" and fix it? Share your stories and nightmares with us.

I have had gear broken by TSA and had to to field fixes or find a replacement and it wasn't always easy! It took away from my Vacation to say the least and can put an end to your fun quick!

The Publisher
02-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Maybe every 3 years.....I have had TSA try to disassemble my rebreather canister and cell head....caught them doing that, I asked them what they thought they were doing.

Papa Bear
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
And they said "Keeping everyone safe sir, it's our job"! LOL ;)

Lostcajun
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Okay, I would like to know about how to maintain my gear. My first exposure will be assembling all the hoses to my reg. (Octo, Computer, inflator). Are there any tricks to this? And what else do I need to pay attention to, and how can I get some training?

Papa Bear
02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes, it is a matter to me of comfort, I want my hoses to "Lay" naturally so they don't tangle or tug on my mouth through my Reg. So first you want to ID the "Ports" either HP (High Pressure direct from the tank) or LP (Low Pressure regulated through the Regulator) which is usually 150psi or around 5bar which supply your inflator, tools, and Reg. HP ports are used for your Gauges and some tools and this is why you need to know what kind of diving you'll be doing so you can buy the right First Stage. Don't forget for a dry suit you'll need another low pressure port for the inflator!

Some dive stores do give Equipment Classes for basic maintenance and understanding of your gear. I would call around and see if any of your local stores do this. Batteries, straps, and your BCD all need inspection and maybe service! Don't forget you might have a Reg on your BCD as well as your dump valve and inflator. All of which need to work right and saltwater is hard on all equipment and salt crystals do form and might cause potential problems.

Good luck and happy safe diving!

beacon450
05-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Here is one article related to services, I read it completely to learn more..

http://www.scubaculture.com.au/equipment/servicing.php

beacon450
08-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Hey Papa bear, hope you get the answer. As you searching for..
If not, then do tell me again, I have some more services with good result for you..

detect for plagiarism by Duplichecker (http://www.duplichecker.com/)

Papa Bear
08-03-2013, 11:26 PM
What I am "Looking for" is how people deal with required service and how often! Life support equipment should always be kept in good working order.... It really sucks when you have a failure at 70ft or on a night dive! I rely on my skills, but prefer to have my equipment serviced and ready to dive! ;)

zay6385
05-31-2017, 04:59 AM
Useful, thanks guys for sharing