PDA

View Full Version : When does a Rebreather make sense?

Papa Bear
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I love the concept of the Rebreather and understand the commercial use and for Video & Photo use, but I have been in locations where the resort catered to Rebreathers which begs the question why?

No one enjoys waiting on a Dive Boat while someone on Closed Circuit does a two hour profile or staying on the same reef for the second dive because the CC Diver is stile there! If the boat or dive is dedicated to CC Divers I see no problem as in a tech club dive or dedicated wreck dive.

So does it make sense to invest in equipment and shipping it to a place where it will be used on the same profile as 99% of the rest of the divers diving Aluminum 80's?

On the vast majority of my Boat dives I am the first one in and last one out, and many times I cut my dive a little short because everyone else is on the boat, and I feel bad making them wait! (Not too bad ;) )

h2odragon1
01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Look for rebreather friendly charters!
They are increasing in popularity, as more divers start enjoying two or three hour dives.

Papa Bear
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
That is my point, you need to dive similar profiles, and I agree 100% the only way it makes sense for a recreational CC Diver is with a group! Cave diving is probably a place where recreational divers benefit as well......

The Publisher
01-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Ok, here is a little secret: rarely is a rebreather of any additional value really, but you won't hear that from CCR divers. Instead you will get scripted hucksterisms about how you can get up close to marine life, buoyancy is easier, it is all safer, and a host of other whoppers.

If you're doing tech diving for a reason, then they really come into their own, otherwise, they are a logistical issue for travel. I almost always dive closed circuit and almost always dive with open circuit friends. It's just something cool to do.