PDA

View Full Version : Hinged Fins

dalehall
02-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Has anyone seen these yet?

Hinged Fins (http://omegaaquatics.com/amphibian.html)

Not interested, but interesting.

SoCalDiveGirl
02-26-2007, 07:59 AM

Thats an interesting concept... For some reason, they don't seem like they'd be very durable, but it's hard to tell from a pic..

Chad
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Better yet, I've used them. I took the prototype Amphibians diving about 50 miles west of Key West, in 6 foot seas and moderate current.

They kick like the best of power fins from Mares or Cressi-sub, but their most unique peformance was in the boat, walking around carrying gear with no trouble, while it pitched and rolled. (The boat I was diving from unfortunately had no ladder so I had to hand up my gear and kick onto the gunwale.)

Since then I have walked up steps, curbs, climbed up on chairs, carried tanks around and kneeled on both knees... all while wearing my fins with the blades in the up position.

I'm now the Florida sales representative.

The Amphibian fins operate hands free, locking in place with your first kick. When ready to exit the water you kick the locking mechanism with the heal of your other boot and the blade pops up.

Check out this magazine for a review: http://www.sportdiver.com/in_this_issue.jsp?ID=49812

The first size, large (9-11), will be out in about 2 more weeks.

They are made in the USA, in Illinois, and carry a lifetime warranty. (Not just for one owner.)

Here's the ever-growing list of dealers where you will soon see the fins.
http://omegaaquatics.com/dealers.html

Chad

http://omegaaquatics.com/

Sarah
02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I looked at a pair closely, they have the ability to spring lock upwards.

dalehall
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Are they really retailing around $280??:eek:

Chad
02-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Are they really retailing around $280??:eek:

Yes, MSRP is $289.

The first dive store I showed them to had 2 models of fins much more expensive than the Amphibian fins. The top price was for $450 carbon fiber blades in quality freediving fins.

My first dive computer, the Edge, was about $675 MSRP in 1985, yet they sold quite readily.

It's what a product does that establishes it's value.

www.omegaaquatics.com

Chad

allisonfinch
03-01-2007, 11:53 PM
It looks like the fins, while up, would make it difficult to fully insert the foot into a ladder rung. Wouldn't the blade hit the next rung up?

Chad
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
It looks like the fins, while up, would make it difficult to fully insert the foot into a ladder rung. Wouldn't the blade hit the next rung up?

Hello Alison,

Most ladders have rungs about 12" apart, which allows the foot to enter about 6" to the arch and then the fin blade angles up to your shin easily, with no problem fitting. The best ladders are also not straight up and down, but the fins work well even with the ones that are.

The fins even pad your shin nicely.

I'll get some pictures up soon.

Chad

seasnake
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
How about free pairs for every one on the board, Oprah Winfrey style, so we can all try them out and give you feed back and testimonials? Hey, I guy can ask . . .

Tigerbeach
07-24-2007, 05:26 AM
You know, I have been diving since I was a young pup; I started in 1974.
I have dove, taught, taught Instructors, and dove again. I have seen more useless crap sold under the guise of "it's the future of sport diving" than you would possibly believe.
Agencies, in all their wisdom, feel that everyone and their grandmothers should be scuba diving. So they can sell 'em all a bunch of gear they are supposed to depend on. It takes too long to teach swimming skills and common sense.
Gear seems to be the primary focus of diving. Not that it isn't useful...
The problem occurs when an average trained person has a gear related problem;and they weren't trained how to get out of it.

The ocean is a killer; it doesn't need help.
I see articles like Chad's and I say "Learn to take off your damn fins!"
and "it's more stuff to break"
No offense Chad; fins are for use underwater, not for climbing ladders.

The Industry wants to remain self-regulated but won't mandate continuing education. They won't put expiration dates on "C" cards. Won't teach solid swimming skills at the most important level; the beginner.
I hate equipment dependency. It hurts and kills people that trusted the Industry to teach them properly. A person that earns certification in a quarry has no business diving in the ocean; the same holds true for a tropical resort cert wanting to dive anywhere else.
People won't regulate themselves, and the Industry won't either;
It will sell 'em gear, though.

acelockco
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
I saw an ad for these recently on the back of some magazine in the dive shop. They look pretty interesting. There is also another new one on the market I believe it's called the manta.

Anyway, cool idea but the price is way too high. Like the sales rep stated, the one model is $450! For that price, I would buy a full face mask and some spring straps for regular fins. He also stated something about the high cost of dive computers, well I don't think ANYONE except him could even fathom compairing the two.

When they are below $100 I am sure divers will take a look at them, or maybe it will just end up like many of the other "new" items out there.....something we write about saying "do you remember the few years when they made those silly things"

amtrosie
07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Agencies, in all their wisdom, feel that everyone and their grandmothers should be scuba diving. So they can sell 'em all a bunch of gear they are supposed to depend on. It takes too long to teach swimming skills and common sense.
Gear seems to be the primary focus of diving. Not that it isn't useful...
The problem occurs when an average trained person has a gear related problem;and they weren't trained how to get out of it.

The ocean is a killer; it doesn't need help.
I see articles like Chad's and I say "Learn to take off your damn fins!"
and "it's more stuff to break"
No offense Chad; fins are for use underwater, not for climbing ladders.

The Industry wants to remain self-regulated but won't mandate continuing education. They won't put expiration dates on "C" cards. Won't teach solid swimming skills at the most important level; the beginner.
I hate equipment dependency. It hurts and kills people that trusted the Industry to teach them properly. A person that earns certification in a quarry has no business diving in the ocean; the same holds true for a tropical resort cert wanting to dive anywhere else.
People won't regulate themselves, and the Industry won't either;
It will sell 'em gear, though.

While I have not been diving since 1974, I have been in the water for quite some time. I think it is worth noting that the original diving courses were heavy on the skin diving skills. Gee, do you think there was a reason for that? Interesting to note that these students were far more competent in the water and better prepared to deal with abnormal situations. With the advent of better performing and more durable equipment, the skills of the scuba diving student have diminished precipitously. I would definitely agree with "Tigerbeach" and his assessment of the training agencies and their miss-directed priorities. Self regulation is wonderful thing, it just needs a "regulating branch" to make the concept viable. Who is regulating the training? What is the standard that must be met to be certified? Who is administering the training, and setting the standards for the trainers? What should be the MINIMUM STANDARDS for the student, trainers, and the industry as a whole? How many dives, and in what conditions should be held up as the standard for the various skill levels?

I could go on, but I will refrain. The aviation industry has developed such a dependable product with the aircraft, that the pilots now go years between "incidences", and are no longer perceptive of changes, or alert to those changes. So now the industry decries the limited abilities of the pilots. Does any of this sound familiar? Equipment dependencies are not a solution, just a bigger problem.

The Publisher
07-24-2007, 03:02 PM
do you remember the few years when they made those silly things"

My guess is that is what all will be saying about split fins 25 years from now.

acelockco
07-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with you on that, I have always felt the split fins are some silly gimick to sell more expensive fins.

REALITY CHECK, ALMOST ALL FINS ARE PROBABLLY COST LESS THAN $5 TO MANUFACTURE!!!

Get out them SCUBA Bucks $$$

Papa Bear
08-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Here we go we are off to the races. That pesky physics thing keeps getting in the way of all the "Better Mouse Traps"! We need one more gimmick in the dive world that will promise to do away with all that hard work in the pool! Maybe some batteries that will make them flop up and down like the SCUBA Steve doll! Look it is simple the strongest lightest blade fine you can find. The only difference might be the shape of the blade. Not split, hinged, or Light up on the dive deck! Ya thats what I want little red lights that blink when you walk so people can see you!:rolleyes:

acelockco
08-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I want little red lights that blink when you walk so people can see you!

Great, and maybe a shark will think the red is blood and go for a nice taste. Then you can be your own handicap diver that you talk about so much.

Papa Bear
08-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Great, and maybe a shark will think the red is blood and go for a nice taste. Then you can be your own handicap diver that you talk about so much.

Not sure of your point, but I will assume it was a joke and hopefully not directed at the handicapped who dive or would like to. I hope it was just not a funny joke directed at me? I am willing to give you the benefit of a misplaced sense of humor. I lost my Mother to a shark attack because she wore pink fins:( And thats not funny!

acelockco
08-20-2007, 05:04 AM
Did the shark tell you the reason was the pink fins, or did you use your physics to determine that?

Papa Bear
08-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Simple math the shark was hungry and momma looked like bait with those bright fins, two plus two is still four! And it is still not funny! It was my Momma! God man don't you have a heart?:(

SeaDog
08-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Hey Ace, Slap a lock on your mouth for a while.
I've tried these fins on a boat trip and on the beach. Except for the weird looks and the questions from some attractive ladies, I wasn't impressed. I wasn't happy with the way they kicked and they were still awkward climbing the ladder and just walking around on deck. At the beach they were a little better because it was one less thing for someone to carry down to the entry, I bungee mine over my shoulder so I really don't care, but I could see where someone might find that useful. So sorry to the sales rep, but I'll stick to my Force Fins, As Papa Bear said, Fins belong in the water, If you can't get yourself out of the water like you where trained to do. Then maybe you need more training or another pass time. Sorry
Just a Seadog's opinion :rolleyes:

acelockco
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey Ace, Slap a lock on your mouth for a while.
I've tried these fins on a boat trip and on the beach. Except for the weird looks and the questions from some attractive ladies, I wasn't impressed.

Yo ankle grabber,

Maybe you need re-read and try to understand what I have written. I said I DO NOT think the folding fins are a good idea.

Anyway Sea Dog, slap some cinder blocks to your feet for a while!

SeaDog
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Grow Up Ace

acelockco
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Ladies first ankle grabber,

I see you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

Phlocker
08-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Wow. The gloves have come off.
Just a little food for thought though. Now these fins might be just another gimmick. But who can blame them for trying to build a better mouse trap.
Hell, if we never tried to improve on the gear we use, we would all still be using diving bells and lead boots!

acelockco
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
who can blame them for trying to build a better mouse trap.

I agree with you on that, but I can blame them for selling $5 worth of plastic for $450!!!!!

SeaDog
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
we would all still be using diving bells and lead boots![/QUOTE]

Hey, I still have some Lead Boots....They still work great, What's your point!