PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from the beautiful island of Bali

ciptoag
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Hello Everyone,
Just a little bit about myself. My name is Cipto Gunawan, my friends use to call me "Chip". I've been part of the diving industry since 1992. I'm a PADI Instructor since 1993 and PADI Course Director in 1996. I managed dive centers in Jakarta and Bali until 2005 and then decided to work for myself as a Marine Eco Tourism Development Consultant, an U/W Videographer and Photographer. My clients are government institution, NGOs, TV Stations, Production House, and the general diving industry.

It is my great pleasure to be part of this very interesting forum. I hope that I can learn from your experiences from all over the world.

Feel free to drop me any questions, critics and any of your comment.

I hope that I can actively participate in this community, and open this site, anytime I'm connected to the net (sorry I must admit that I'm a travelling person as the nature of my work):) :) :)

Sarah
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Chip, and welcome to the ScubaMagazine.net Forum!

As of yet we don't have many members from Indonesia, so were glad to have you!

We created an Indonesia SubForum which at some point will get busier.

Anyway, welcome :)

TravelnSJ
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
ciptoag....welcome to the board....you said to ask you questions.....What do you think of the Sorido resort in Raja Ampat.....Booked my flight, my lodging at the Lembeh straits....just trying to decided if I can find a liveaboard or book Sorido.....any info is appreciated:)

ciptoag
02-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Sorido Resort is located at Kri Island, the owner is Mr Max Ammer, you can check his web site www.iriandiving.com. Sorido is more luxurious than the sister resort (Kri Resort"?") nearby, both are belong to the same person. Some dive sites are located just in front of the resorts, you can find "unidentified" pygmy sea horse just under the jetty of Kri resort. The other dive sites are located mostly within one hour by boat from the resort. If you stay for queit a while, you can also arrange trip to further places. You can see some of the pictures I took in that area, just click http://ciptoag.multiply.com

From Manado you can take a flight to Sorong (about one hour trip), and from Sorong the operator will pick you up and send you to the resort.

There are several liveaboards in the area, but you need to check their schedule, they are not always there (sometimes seasonal). Best season to dive is around Nov to April.

:) :) :)

TravelnSJ
02-24-2007, 03:22 AM
I've have spent the last couple of days hoping to get a Liveaboard in the Raja Ampat area during the time frame I am going....no luck. I have looked at the Ondina, H20 and Karau and all are either booked or not doing that area in my time frame....So it looks like the Sorido....Just hate missing no diving on Saturday...yes I know about that religious thing.....Would you go back to the Sorido resort? Is the diving that good?....I'm a Palau diver so I have high standards:) ...LOL

Regarding the Lembeh Straits. which resort is your favorite. The Kasawari, Kungkungan or the Lembeh Resort?

Thanks for the info,
Scott

Zero
02-25-2007, 06:04 AM
G'day Chip welcome aboard.

Matt

davidk
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Chip, I will be in Bali in early March. I would like to stay in the Ashram in Candi Dasa and would like to become PADI certified in Open Water (and perhaps Open Water Advanced in all goes well). Any suggestions, recommendations?