PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Diving accident caught on tape

Sarah
02-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Can we learn a lesson from this.

eejQPUyeNiY

hbh2oguard
02-23-2007, 06:43 AM
so sad but that's what happens when you panic. Dump the camera and some weight and you're still alive. I know all the recent deaths in CA while scuba diving was due to lack of knowledge and experience. It's not all that hard just use your mind and you will live.

SoCalDiveGirl
02-23-2007, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=hbh2oguard;1884]so sad but that's what happens when you panic.QUOTE]

Very true.. Wow... nothing like a dose of reality to put things in perspective... That video put knots in my stomach...

seasnake
02-23-2007, 02:09 PM
The video is chilling. But what actually happened? Was he descending out of control? Was he on air? Or was the problem that he got entangled on the bottom? I wonder if he lost his reg, or spit it out in panic?

santelmo
02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
maybe he got trapped in a down current??? :confused:

that's it! no more deep and drift dives for you mom, sis and dad! shallow dives and house reefs from now on... ;)

hbh2oguard
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
not too sure what happened but he was at 91m which is pretty darn deep. The picture was too clear at the end but it didn't look like there was anything to get tangled on, and the commentators kept saying it was sand.

seasnake
02-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I think 91 m is about 300 feet. If he was on air he would've been so narced sand would've seemed scary . . . near the very end though I thought I could see a black thin line curling through the frame?? Just for a second ...

lars2923
02-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Here is another video, with a little more info:
zr5doYH5dXc&NR

"It could never happen to me..."
"I'm experienced. I can manage"
Stick with your dive buddy, that is why they are there.
Practice, practice, practice. Take time, at a safe location
to practice emergency drills, until "Muscle memory" and
the drills become second nature.

I always replay a story once told to me and the answer
given by the astronaut acts as a foundation to how I dive.

An astronaut was asked,
"If you were trapped outside of your vessel and had 10 seconds
of air remaining, what would you do?"
Their answer, THINK for a solution in the first 9 seconds, then act.

My apologies for preaching, watching something like this has
me feeling helpless and it helps remind me that anything can
happen, anytime.

RIP

Lars

Sarah
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Lars,

I cheated and removed the link tags and switched them for the youtube tags, and viola, the video magically appears!

Thanks for finding a video with additional info, thanks Lars!

Zero
02-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Very Chilling videos. Another one that is going around from the head mounted cam of Dave Shaw is also chilling. He died trying to retrieve Deon Dreyers body from Boesmansgat Cave in South Africa. Here is a transcript of an ABC show called Australian Story that went to air shortly after he died.
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2005/s1370703.htm
No video in this link.

Matt

Finless
02-25-2007, 08:59 PM
not too sure what happened but he was at 91m which is pretty darn deep. The picture was too clear at the end but it didn't look like there was anything to get tangled on, and the commentators kept saying it was sand.

I suspect that may be a translation issue and they really mean 'he hit the bottom'?

Having nearly caused my own demise through my own stupidity years ago I found that dragged up a memory or two .......... as if it wasn't harrowing enough on its own.

Finless
02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Was this a recent incident & was that at the famous "Blue Hole".

What was the purpose of the dive? To do a bounce dive to get to the bottom and back?

tdvanniekerk
02-26-2007, 05:49 AM
I am hesitant to comment on a fellow diver's demise, because people in glass houses should not throw stones. So I am commenting here not to criticize but to add to a discussion that will hopefuly help all of us to avoid these kinds of incidents.

On a fast descent like this (mentioned 30m/100ft per minute), your task load is very high and you constantly have to equalize your ears. We often use this technique on deep dives and you don't have a spare hand for cameras or other toys. One hand goes for your nose and the other is on your controls, whether that is depth guage and/or BCD inflator. If you dont equalize on such a fast descent you will pop your ear drums and suffer pain and vertigo.

It often happens that when you get into the water with a lot of toys (camera etc) your BCD inflator hose gets caught behind your head. If you have the habit of deflating the BCD through a different dump valve, you may not realize that the inflator hose is entangled somewhere, until you reach for it to inflate the BCD. Finding that entangled inflator hose while you are dropping like a rock, combined with ears popping, vertigo, panic and narcosis, the outcome is not likely to be good. I could not hear any attempts to inflate his BCD on the video.

Some of the comentators on the video mentions he is descending without his buddy being next to him. If you get caught in a runnaway descent your buddy will not be of any help. In fact you will drop out of sight before your buddy even realizes you have gone missing. Also if your buddy does not have experience and training in deep diving, then he will probably not be able to help you either.

Another comment on the video was that he got entangled in the sand. Sorry but you cant get entangled in sand. The diver was obviously disoriented, in panic, narc'ed and possibly in pain, which would explain why he apparently dropped his regulator and attempted to get away from the situation.

Condolences to the family, and may we all learn from this. Complacency and lack of training has no place underwater.

TD van Niekerk

lars2923
02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
You're right, now that I think about it, I don't remember hearing the inflator
going off either. This was, what about 6, almost 7 years ago? Has anyone
been able to find any info to the conclusions of what had happen to
cause this? Was it the plan to bounce? Why didn't/couldn't he stop? etc...

seasnake
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Yes, it would at least be a help to be able to learn from something like this. I often see with the media that they report on a diver death, but when it comes time to report the conclusions of why it happened the media is bored and has moved on. But the rest of us can only learn if we know what went wrong and analyse how to make sure it doesn't happen to us.

cdivrmike
02-27-2007, 04:07 AM
That's just sad!

hbh2oguard
02-27-2007, 05:15 AM
I fully agree that toys get in the way but I'd really like to hear any follow up since it did happen awhile ago.

Diverdaniel
03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I think 91 m is about 300 feet. If he was on air he would've been so narced sand would've seemed scary . . . near the very end though I thought I could see a black thin line curling through the frame?? Just for a second ...

This Diving instructor, was a full Tri-Mix diver, very experianced russian, alot of russians divers here love to go to the extreme limits.
Gas was Tri-mix, he showed his computer to the camera, just to record the depth on camera, i have seen this done quite often. as was stated, he was too heavy, left his buddy behind, i would say he lost control of the dive in the very beginning when he left his buddy. the descent was 100 feet/min= WAY too fast.
this was a needless accident, it shouldnt have happend.
why we go over our limits is a compleate mistery.
the dive was planned as a touch and go dive, the camera was hung in his V space, he went down too heavy, could be for very rapid descent, i dont know, it happend in the Blue-Hole site in Sinai Red-Sea.
one of the more horrific diving accidents in my eyes.

sad.

Diverdaniel
03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
i will try to get the full official report, got it in hebrew, i'll translate it for us all. will be a job though.
i hope we do learn from all these accidents.

Diverdaniel
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM

he did hit the bottom, but beforehand had bounced off the rock wall, out of controll, the all the people in the movie the senior ones used to dive that site in the 50's-late 80's and have been part of rescue teams and rescues in that specific spot, they are all diving instructors, some were Israeli "seals"
all are very well known in the diving industry and are concidered experts in the field here.

I'll try to get the full report translated.

Diverdaniel
03-18-2007, 10:56 PM
The second vid that lars posted is a mix of the Israeli navy's ROV picking up another diver that died in the Blue-Hole with a well known team of deep sea explorers here that are mapping and documenting all they see and dive.
if there are any questions i would gladly answer if i can.

seasnake
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I didn't catch that before, that he was diving trimix. Thanks for that.

So this was supposed to be basically a bounce dive, down and up, just to say he did the depth? And is it typical for these guys to overweight themselves so they can drop to the bottom really fast? So what happened then, was he too overweighted and was not able to get enough lift from his bouyancy compensator to make an ascent? Did that lead to him panicking? Because some mentioned it would seem he spit his reg out.

Ron

Diverdaniel
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, the Israeli Diving Authority does not publish diving accident inquirys or conclusion, they claim it is invasion of ones privacy or something or other....

kind of silly. since one has to learn, and in order to learn one has got to know about what happend....

anyway.
one can only speculate.
i can only think he overweighted himself on purpose but hey...
what do i know.....

Superdave
04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
I know this is now history but has anyone learned anything new on this accident?
Any info on the 2nd individual who the team was recovering? Looked like an old death.

Dave

phrenicnerve
04-12-2007, 02:56 AM
Disturbing.

I noticed when he hit the bottom he seemed out of control. "Sand darts" is what my instructor calls a diver that shoots to the bottom too fast, usually they impale their ass cheeks landing on sea urchin.

This reminds me that extreme diving is not for me. I was stressed about my deep dive for adv certification. Something about that threshold where there is zero margin for error to survive. Not in to it. We dropped to 106ft. The tennis ball we brought down went concave, that was cool - we did a "simon says" game and I did not feel narc'd, but it was cold and lifeless. I understand that some dive sights are worth the deep dives, but I stop having a good time when I know a potential problem at such depth is most likely going to be fatal.

I did my nitrox certification, but I don't really like the potential to suddenly go in to convulsions without any warning either. Not that nitrox has anything to do with deep diving, it doesn't, but it is another red zone to consider.

I met one diver that kept all her diving pretty basic, but got randomly bent in a freak incident anyway. She will not dive anymore.

Just reading about what the technical divers do gives me chills. Has that "I sure hope my parachute opens" feel for me!

Diving with seals playing around your fins always seems fun, but I read a story about a husband and wife that were diving with seals and one of them bumped in to the divers hard enough to knock both of their regulators out of their mouths. The husband was able to save himself, his wife drowned.

:eek:

phrenicnerve
04-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I just want to add one more thought. I had an incident that the sounds of this video remind me of. When he inhales, it sounds like there was a small leak in his regulator, causing small amounts of water to enter as he inhaled. This happened to me once, and I immediately surfaced and got back on the boat and swithched to another regulator. Is it possible, that along with the real presence of being extremely narc'd when he hit bottom that his regulator leak got worse as more and more pressure built up as he descended further and further down? His breathing seems steady, but I swear I hear water entering the regulator.

seasnake
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Even with trimix, what is the narcosis like at those depths?

Diverdaniel
04-22-2007, 07:27 AM
In the Video, the forum of experts you saw discussing the incident wondered if the noises from the regulator are not cries for help,
the father, also seen in this vieo, states they were cries for help.
who knows. as i stated earlier, the Israeli Diving Authority does not release conclusions or information because of privacy issues, so they state, they just come up with new laws and bylaws.

as for narcosis in those depths, Seasnake. i believe it all depends on your gas mix. the ammount of He that you have in your mix, you could basically choose your END according to what you feel comfortable with, i usually keep mine between 24 - 36 meters END.

santelmo
05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
i found these videos on Youtube... just like to share them..

mF4iFJ-G74o

A video about Yuri Lipski
-aTYW_Iikk8

mismail
10-12-2007, 09:52 PM
For those of you who did not dive this site, before you enter to the water to start your trip down there, you come across a tomb stone with the names of many divers who lost their lives there. This tombstone has the names of divers from all over the world, seeing this before starting my dive made me have goose bumps and i had fear runing through my self, but i decided to go for it and to respect the rules of the site.
His name was on this tombstone. the key word for this is "OVERCONFIDENCE" and amazingly all those people who passed away in this site, are experienced divers.
Finally, thank you Sarah for bringing this video.

seasnake
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
as for narcosis in those depths, Seasnake. i believe it all depends on your gas mix. the ammount of He that you have in your mix, you could basically choose your END according to what you feel comfortable with, i usually keep mine between 24 - 36 meters END.

But what mix would you use to at that depth to keep your END at 30m?