PDA

View Full Version : Florida Diving

lars2923
02-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Planning a dive? Have any suggestions on a location? Post your thoughts here.

Sarah
02-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I hear the Crystal Springs Florida is a great place to go diving with the friendly, people loving manatees.

TravelnSJ
02-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I am going to Ft Lauderdale in July. I will be diving West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach....they say very good diving!....also heard that Crystal springs is great....but cool waters.

lars2923
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Ft. L. is nice diving. I do not know if you have been there to dive before.
The depth begins to decent maybe, maybe starting at 2 miles off shore.
So long boat rides are not neccessary. Diving is easy. Just head West and you should eventually hit shore. So shallow end on your right when diving south, on your left when heading North. You get the idea.
A number of wrecks may be found along the site. Fairly safe diving. One does
not need a lot of wreck training to navigate in and around them.
Do you know who you would be using for the charter. I have a recommendation. Good boats..

Lars
"Let's go Diving"

PS: All the springs are good. Well, except for a few I could recommend you not visit. Most springs
are of a constrant temp. I know one thats fed with a hot thermal. Now that one is nice to dive
in, especially when the air temp is lower than the H2O..

lars2923
03-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I took the day off from work and what do I go and do?
Dive..
Naturally...

A friend of mine invited me last week. Another friend joined us.
Today we visited Devil Den in Williston, Fl. It was a rather splendid
day, blue sky, sun shinning and very little people diving. We had the
visibility we desired to get some good video.
I'll post some shots in the gallery.
One may circumnavigate the site in less than 30 minutes.
Hitting the deeper area lead to holes you may swim through,
coming up into the sun light that protruded the hole in the ceiling.
Spectacular site.
The sun's shimmer light reflection on the bottom is a bit disorienting.
Closing my eyes for a few second helped me get my bearings. I was out
of sorts today but I enjoyed the day, I was diving.

Devils Den, I give it four stars out of five. A nice place to visit at least
once. Also an enjoyment for friends and new divers to experience. The grounds
are well maintained, picnic tables, grills, (Take food and drink along. Nothing on site),
pool and nice scenery. Rinse area for your gear after your dives, restrooms, showers, air fills are available as well.

For those who may be planning a trip to Devils Den, just down the road is
Blue Grotto. Maybe 1 mile at the most. When leaving Devils Den and hitting the main road,
make a right and you'll see the sign for Blue Grotto just down the road.
You could make a day out of diving both sites. 2 dive in the AM at one location, head over to
the next site and dive a couple in the afternoon.

Both sites are very well maintained, clean. provide picnic tables, restrooms, rinse areas
air fills and plenty of room for the non diver to wonder around or lay in the grass. Perfect for napping..
Fees at the time of this writing: Devils Den $35, Blue Grott0 $40.

Next weekend A friend and I are planning on diving Paradise Springs. Another favorite of mine.
I'll post more on that dive later.

dalehall
03-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Nice write up Lars. Devil's Den is one of the Springs I haven't been to yet.. We're planning to make a trip down in the next couple of months.. I'll have to add DD as a possibility on our as yet to be determined itinerary.
Thanks..

amtrosie
03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
A nice dive off of Ft. Lauderdale is the Tennaco towers. Max depth for the shallower towers is 105-110(35 meters) feet. Lots of marine life and coral. Avery nice dive! The deep towers sit in about 185'(55-60 meters) or so. I was out there last week and the water temp was 72 F degrees. You want a good exposure suit (I was in my dry suit). The thermalcline is at about 120'.

lars2923
03-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Saturday was a fine day for diving. The sky was clear, the outside temp
was perfect at around 75 degrees. A friend and I decided it was time to
revisit a nice cavern/cave system in Ocala, Paradise Springs.
Here the water is warmer than most springs due to a thermal springs
feeding into the cavern. I wore a 7mm vs. a dry suit and felt comfortable.
This site is like some of my other favorites a must to visit.

The entrance is a bit small, but once you decend, it gets bigger.
At and near the water line is a large boney fossel. It's huge, perhaps
a dinosaur or something to that effect. You enter the cavern and
decent down onto a mound that was once part of the ceiling. A small
platform may be found at around 20 feet. You circle around this mound
to find the long passage way down to the bottom, which is about 100
feet. The room is of moderate size and the entrace to the cave can be
found there as well. Do NOT enter if you are not cave certfied. Enjoy
the lighting from others as they wonder around to the opposite side of
where you are.. As the light lights up the surrounding rock formations
in crystal clear water... Moving back into the path of the tunnel, looking
up has you viewing the length of the tunnel, the large open room that sits
at about the 50' depth as well as the aqua blue water from the sunlight
protruding through the opening which you began. Spectacular site.
A beauty to witness the wonder and spendar of nature at its best.

I give Paradise a 4 out of 5 and as one of my favorite dive sites to visit.
There are picnic tables, rinse area, restroom on site. Take along food and drink
and a grill to enjoy the day. Enjoy... Paradise Springs...

WreckDiver
03-13-2007, 12:30 AM
My gear is packed for the Wilkes Barre (Key West) at the end of the week and the video camera is all lcharged up and ready.! Hope to have a good dive report soon.

Dago.

jeff98208
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
whicked nice! hope you ( or some one else ) can pop off a couple still frames. some day i'd like to dive the keys as well. but for know i dive here in the pudget sound of the pac blue ( pacific northwest ). later bud! jeff

lars2923
03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Puget Sound...
I sure do miss Seattle.. I use to live off 45th, then I moved up toward Lynnwood, not far from the ferries. I loved diving up there.. Crystal clear
water, the life.. Gods country, the evergreen state.. Envy...

Kathryn
11-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Hello there guys! Just wanted to thank you for this information about good places in Florida, I intend to go over there in January or February for vacation so I'll take your advices into account!

lars2923
11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Hello there guys! Just wanted to thank you for this information about good places in Florida, I intend to go over there in January or February for vacation so I'll take your advices into account!

Shoot me a message. 3rd week in January, we alway dive with the Manatees
as well as other activities over the weekend. We usually do it on th weeend of the 30th but 2012 we are moving things up one week. YOu are welcome to join us at Crystal River and Rainbow River and wiked watcheee or some place like that...

lars2923
01-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Today I was at Blue Grotto helping a fellow diver with their new drysuit. Blue Grotto is as it is as usual, BIG.

A lot of students there today and if you have been to blue before, you can imagine how silted up it got. The water is perhaps 6-10 feet lower than usual.
That seems to be the normal all around. On the way out from Blue Grotto, the team stopped by Devils Den to scope out the water level which has been reported to be very low.
WOW, I have never seen the water level so low.

The platform used to enter into the water are above the water. This would put the water level down about 6-10 feet. If you never have been to Devils Den, it's a nice place to check out at least once.

It is unfortunate that the water levels are so low across the state and its springs. Perhaps because of the lack of rain, or perhaps due to us pulling too much water from the aquafers and/or a combination of both.

I remember going to the springs and the water levels being very high and through the years, have slowly decreased to the levels they are today.