PDA

View Full Version : Question on possible Shangri-La name change

Sarah
02-21-2007, 04:30 AM
We have heard from many but not all of you that you prefer the name Philippines Paradise Divers.

Initially we thought as a general courtesy to another board (whom has shown us discourtesy) that they created the name Philippine Paradise Divers.

That is why we just wanted to be different from what we thought was created by someone else who were not Pilipinos.

I have been reading up more and more on Philippine culture and history, and this is where I need your input because I suspect I may have been wrong about the other board creating that name.

Was Philippine Paradise Divers a creation of a board we won't mention since our board name is on their ban list, or is this something Pinoys and Pinays came up with independant of them?

If it is independant, and if so maybe someone can give me a little history, then we are inclined to give the name that may have been rightfully created by Pinoys and Pinays, not another board.

We very much want to give all the dear Pinoys and Pinay friends we've made here exactly what they want, after all, this Section is yours, and believe me, we pay attention to every suggestions you make!

My concern about the word "Paraiso" is it is a Tagalog word for Paradise, but the mission here is not to market the world class diving to Pinoys & Pinays, you already know that the P.I's are the best value in World Class diving, so should we really be using a Tagalog word that Americans may not figure out?

Your feedback is requested!

:) Sarah

jonix
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
creation of the other board. i'm not much into technicalities but it is a section of the board. the real paradise divers are people, people who dive, eat, drink, hang out together outside of the board. it is a real group not nearly a club but more like a group of friends which include not just the filipinos who decided to meet 2 years ago but includes americans, british, canadians & australians who have dived with the group and visited the philippines more than once a year.

in short, our group is for real. how do i know all these? it's because i'm part of the core group.

Sarah
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, if it was created by another board rather than people who are not board staff, we're not inclined to use it. We've just been asked by Pinoys several times to switch to PPD.

jonix
02-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Well, if it was created by another board rather than people who are not board staff, we're not inclined to use it. We've just been asked by Pinoys several times to switch to PPD.

personally i wouldn't mind...i like ppd better :D

Diver Dennis
05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
The name PPD was created by the users, not the board, so I see no reason not to use it. Especially now that other board is in transition.

Sarah
05-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Dive Dennis, what do you mean in transition?

I've reopened the poll by the way, I have NO idea why it was set to only 30 days.

Babydamulag
07-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Okay, that settles it!
PHILIPPINE PARADISE DIVERS it is.......
Anything else is just too "In the nonsense" category. Thanks.
Oh, BTW, why is the other board not working????

Quero
07-08-2007, 07:53 AM
If you'd like to be different, avoid any possible issues, and still use PPD, consider using the word "paraiso" instead of "paradise". US divers will understand it because, while it is now a Tagalog word, originally it was a borrowing from Spanish. Most US divers do know that the word, when translated from Spanish, means "paradise" because so many American divers go to Spanish-speaking countries in Mexico and Central America to dive, and plus, it's a cognate.