PDA

View Full Version : wrist computers

diverep
02-20-2007, 11:12 AM
What wrist computer (new models) would you preffer for recreational diving?

seasnake
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I've been using the suunto vyper and it works pretty good. Nice display, the battery life has been excellent.
I used to use a Mares Surveyor and loved it, often wondered about their latest one ... the M1??

santelmo
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
im using suunto stinger but i want the new suunto d9. *sigh* it's soooo expensive... :`(

Zero
02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I dont know if the RGBM M1 is any better than the origanal ones but i am very suspicious of my M1's. Ive had all sorts of trouble with them and the iris downloader. One dive i downloaded showed i went to 70m bounced back to the surface and then went back down again all in 3 minutes. Others when they download dont have all the information so it makes me wonder why and what else isnt working properly in them. The Auto off is a bit funny too. Mine sometimes wont turn off after the no fly time has counted down so makes battery consumption high. But when they work they work good. the screen is a nice size everything is clear to see and well defined. The backlight is great at night and in low light. The case takes a beating and the screen hasnt got a scratch on it.

Matt

lars2923
02-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I have sed Uwatec for years. I currently dive with the Uwatec Tec when diving open circuit. It has the ability to manage three gases and the
interface is very user friendly. Quik to learn. You may also download
your user profile to a PC via an infrared dongle. Document the dive to include
pictures, buddies, comments, and many other features. If you can afford
$1200 for the computer + one transmitter, it's worth it.
http://www.uwatec.com/

Another good computer is the cochran. Customizable.
http://www.divecochran.com/

Both computer will cost you, you've heard this before, you get what you pay for.

Good luck

TravelnSJ
02-21-2007, 04:59 AM
I have a Suunto D9....If you do not take a few seconds to pair it before before you jump in....no Air readings.....If you do not make sure your have it on the Air or Nitrox mode before you jump in...It defaults to the guage mode and will lock you out for hours or days.....other than that....I love it.....good thing my backup is the Cobra:)

diverep
02-21-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a Suunto D9....If you do not take a few seconds to pair it before before you jump in....no Air readings.....If you do not make sure your have it on the Air or Nitrox mode before you jump in...It defaults to the guage mode and will lock you out for hours or days.....other than that....I love it.....good thing my backup is the Cobra:)

I saw your dive schedule
Why not put the Philippines in your list........
just a suggestion........

TravelnSJ
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Yes I have looked at Malapascua Island this year but decided to head to Wakatobi.....one problem at Malapascua....no fresh water....not lookiing forward to 10 days of showers in brackish water.....but maybe 2008.

diverep
02-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes I have looked at Malapascua Island this year but decided to head to Wakatobi.....one problem at Malapascua....no fresh water....not lookiing forward to 10 days of showers in brackish water.....but maybe 2008.

I would suggest you dive at Tubbataha Reef if you like big stuff (manta,sharks,turtles sometimes whalesharks) for colorfull reefs nice soft corals ghost pipe fish, harlequine shrimps try Apo Island Dumaguete, macro organisms go to Anilao or Puerto Galera. Hope you visit the Philippines again:)

TravelnSJ
02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I would suggest you dive at Tubbataha Reef if you like big stuff (manta,sharks,turtles sometimes whalesharks) for colorfull reefs nice soft corals ghost pipe fish, harlequine shrimps try Apo Island Dumaguete, macro organisms go to Anilao or Puerto Galera. Hope you visit the Philippines again:)

What type of Sharks do they have at Tubbataha Reef?....The reason I am interested in Malapascua are the Threashers....looking to go in Sept or early Oct of 08.

Sarah
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Our publisher is traveling to Anilao/Maricaban area in the Philippines in 3 weeks and will do a full Resort Review with a truckload of photos here.

In 2 weeks a similar comprehensive review of a resort in Sabang in the Philippines will also be posted.

neptunemd
02-23-2007, 03:16 AM
great!... looking forward to that review... ive been diving anilao and sabang for quite sometime now... visited sabang early this year... sabang was a lot more beautiful several years back... the typhoon that hit the area last year wrecked most of the corals there... i suggest that while in sabang to check out verde island

lars2923
02-24-2007, 01:41 AM
I like the Uwatec Aladin Z (if you dive nitrox). Simple reason is
it uses numbers on it's display. Not the bars, but real numbers.
So when you come close to deco, you know because it displays
# of minutes before going into deco. Not some form of a colored
bar that when it reaches somewhere in the fifth bar, then begin considering
ascending. 3 minutes on the display before deco is well pretty precise.
3 minutes.. Numbers, real numbers and some graphics, like lungs, when
breathing to heavily or arrows point upward and %ages as in O2
load (if Nitrox). They even have an air integrated. Uses a transmitter
fitted on your first stage to transmit tank pressure. Keeping track of
air remaining and time (based on current pressure, depth and rate of
usage - always realculating) Nice. Also most provide a means to transfer
data from the dive computer to a personal computer.. graphs, customize
dive info, like who, when, where, why, etc.. some versions even calculate
your air consumption rate (avg of course of dive - like 0.8l/min).. nice...

Hope this helped...

Cheers

diverep
02-25-2007, 11:17 AM
What type of Sharks do they have at Tubbataha Reef?....The reason I am interested in Malapascua are the Threashers....looking to go in Sept or early Oct of 08.

Guaranteed to see white tips, gray reefs , black tips sometimes whale sharks.
Tubbataha is our version of Palau but with the corals.