PDA

View Full Version : Bare Island - Weedy Seadragon

dakuwanga
02-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Dived Bare Island (La Parouse), NSW today - vis was average - water temp varied from 22deg at surface to about 14deg at depth. Found 5 Weedy Seadragons including a male with eggs. There is also a giant Boarfish hanging around.

Sorry about the quality - it was taken from my dig camera.

Jason

9XvhMyxy6eI

Sarah
02-19-2007, 03:47 AM
Awesome! What a bizarre critter!

Zero
02-19-2007, 05:03 AM
HAHA were all bizarre creatures down here. Wait till someone posts a leafy seadragon! They look even more like kelp.
I went out with South Pacific Divers to the sharks at Magic Point. Vis wasnt too great but was still about 10m in places. Had 10 Grey Nurses when we found them. They arent in the old cave they used to be they are further around to the east. Only one had a fish hook out of its mouth which while it isnt a great thing its better than the 3 or 4 you used to see there and much better than someone pulling it out of the water all together.
We rocked up in 2 boats and there was already one on site and just before we got in the ProDive cattle boat rocked up with another 30 odd divers. Fortunately they went off to another site for their first dive and then came back later. All in all a great dive and its good to see them back.

Matt

dakuwanga
02-19-2007, 06:56 AM
I went out with South Pacific Divers to the sharks at Magic Point. Vis wasnt too great but was still about 10m in places. Had 10 Grey Nurses when we found them. They arent in the old cave they used to be they are further around to the east. Only one had a fish hook out of its mouth which while it isnt a great thing its better than the 3 or 4 you used to see there and much better than someone pulling it out of the water all together.Matt

Matt are you a member of South Pacific Divers?? - I have been considering joining.

Great to hear the GNS are is decent numbers at Magic Point - I did this dive (via the shore) back in August and there were only 3 about.

Zero
02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Yep Proud member of SouthPac since 99. Just got home from the meeting. Andy Del bought his KISS along and gave a great talk. First close up ive had with that unit and it looks very nice for what it does. Theres a few of the guys around all the boards that are members and its well worth it.

Matt

seasnake
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Sorry about the quality - it was taken from my dig camera.

Jason

No worries about the quality, just thanks for sharing! (what camera are you using, by the way .... :) )

What size is that creature? Is that it's normal behaviour, or do you see them swimming around?

Zero
02-20-2007, 07:55 AM
They grow up to about 30cm(12in) and its pretty much their regular behaviour. They just float around near the kelp all day. If you want to see some REAL GOOD footage try this site. http://www.aliensofthesea.com/ . The cover has a Leafy Seadragon on it which is a very close relation of the weedy but only found in a small area of Southern Australia. Has a few clips on the site with both weedys and leafys. Check out his camera gear if you just bought the latest and greatest and feel very inadequate. Hate to be in a current with that sucker.
The offer is open to anyone coming through Sydney if you want to go see one or maybe 2 let me know.

Matt

dakuwanga
02-20-2007, 09:55 AM
No worries about the quality, just thanks for sharing! (what camera are you using, by the way .... :) )

What size is that creature? Is that it's normal behaviour, or do you see them swimming around?

Dived today - saw 9 Weedy Seadragons about - they are all big ones as well - about 30 - 40cm in length - they were out and about - given their tiny fins, they can actually move quiet fast.

The camera that I am using is a Canon A70 - it is getting pretty old - but does the job.

Jason

seasnake
02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
The offer is open to anyone coming through Sydney if you want to go see one or maybe 2 let me know.

Matt

Matt, we should trade ... you come to my Sydney for my summer and I'll come to your Sydney for your summer ...

Ron

Purpleturtle
02-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I've never seen a Weedy but heres a Leafy in my gallery.
Probably my favourite Aussie critter.
I would have uploaded a 8 min video but I'm on the laptop at the moment.

http://www.scubamagazine.net/photo/showphoto.php?photo=123&cat=500

Zero
02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Ahh but Ron the diving is so much better here in the winter. Blue water current comes up the coast bringing clear water and westerly winds blow keeping the seas calmer. I would love to try cold water and ice diving at some stage but not every week.

Matt

seasnake
02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Your winter is like July/August, right? What is the weather like then? Air temps and water temps?

We def. get our best vis in the winter here (right now), but the trade off is water temps around -2C (28F). There is a member of my dive club from I think it's Melbourne though. Came all the way from Aussieland to Canada for an ice diving course a couple years ago! Great fun! :)

TravelnSJ
02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Burrr.....still is cold water diving.....go North.....get in that 28 degree water:)

SoCalDiveGirl
02-22-2007, 07:08 AM
I've never seen a Weedy but heres a Leafy in my gallery.

http://www.scubamagazine.net/photo/showphoto.php?photo=123&cat=500

I can't see the video in the original post for some reason or other, but I love the pic of the leafy sea dragon! I have a pic of one as my computers wallpaper~ too bad we don't have them here in Ca :(