PDA

View Full Version : Keeping fit

Okeanos
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Did another race yesterday, a half marathon over a very hilly course. The sun came out to play, which made it too hot to run, a couple of nice downhills made it fun.

If anyone is interested in seeing the route it's here - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/-st-austell/909124827987122228

Click on elevation and then stretch the box vertically.

I complete around 20 races a year, no marathons this year but I have completed 9 so far including New York, Paris & London.

The biggest problem is that runners tend to use a lot of air underwater, they are used to using a lot of air while running, my tip is just to think about your breathing for a minute as soon as you hit your depth - it works for me.

acelockco
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!

lottie
10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
...but I could run like the wind blows....

I could say so much to that comment (read:lavatorial humour) :rolleyes: :D

Okeanos
10-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!
Alright Forrest :)

The Publisher
10-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I run like the wind too, unfortunately, for me, it is the wind in the equatorial doldrums. :D

acelockco
10-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Alright Forrest :)

Ahhhh...at least someone got it.

sharonbaker
07-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Fit body is a need of everyone. In fact no one can stay happily without good health including driver also....

Okeanos
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
After the race that started this thread I had some knee pain. After an MRI scan and a chat with my doctor I have been told never to run again or do anything that causes impact on my knee. He was surprised I was walking unaided now.

So I bought a Triathlon wetsuit and started sea swimming. Water temps locally never get warmer than 16C so suits are important. I now swim 1-2 miles 2-3 times a week, freestyle with no leg movement. I don't feel as fit as when I ran but at least there's no impact on my knees.

The Publisher
07-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Even with diving it is amazing how much exercise one gets without it appearing so.

greenturtle
07-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Even with diving it is amazing how much exercise one gets without it appearing so.

I try to put in more runs before a diving trip. It helps to keep me physically fit, and I find my air consumption is better controlled than when I wasn't running as much.

It is true that we get lots of exercise during diving because the food intake is much more but my weight doesn't go up! :)

janesi87
10-29-2012, 03:29 AM
except from running, is there any excercise that we can do? the place where i live has many vehicle and small so i cannot run easily