PDA

View Full Version : Skin Bends Photo

The Publisher
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I found an interesting article on what skin bends looks like in a diver that did a dive to 177 feet and surfaced without any decompression stops, although it is not known what his bottom time was.

He had serious symptoms associated with spinal cord involvement, but am happy to see that after 20 days in the hospital and numerous treatments, he is symptom free and his motor functions are full after 6 months.

The article can be found here (http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/362/23/e67)

http://content.nejm.org/content/vol362/issue23/images/large/12f1.jpeg

acelockco
06-26-2010, 05:32 PM
They say being overweight can make one more susceptible to the bends. I would worry when the weekend warrior carrying a few spare tires heads out on a technical dive for the weekend.

Just in case you are wondering who dives to 177ft and doesn't know how long his bottom time was or surfaces without a deco stop......:mad2:

Okeanos
09-26-2010, 09:22 PM
They say being overweight can make one more susceptible to the bends.
There are many things that can make you more susceptible to DCS, hydration, cold, fitness, age, sex or even the dreaded PFO to name a few.

Being overweight is just a small part that can be blamed if nothing else can be.

The Publisher
09-27-2010, 02:26 AM
When you say sex is one of the things that can make one more susceptible, are we talking too much of it or not enough? I need to take some notes here....

:D

acelockco
09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
LMFAO!!!

I can't wait to tell my wife that we need to have more sex because it will decrease our risk of DCS. If she goes for it, I know someone that will be diving a lot more often........THIS GUY!!!!

Okeanos
09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
It's not what I meant but as you ask.

Exercise, especially aerobic exercise creates Nitric Oxide in the blood. Nitric Oxide is a vaso-dilator, increases blood flow. This is good when diving as it reduces both size and quantities of micro bubbles which form on every ascent. Diving isn't really aerobic exercise but you can tell your missus that it is, AND, as a vasi-dilator it means you get harder erections :D

Or you could tell your missus that sex is aerobic exercise and that having sex before and after diving means you are less likely to get DCS. I can find the research document links if you want.

Before - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16018350

If you look around the site you'll find the exercise after diving document.

acelockco
09-28-2010, 04:07 AM
It's not what I meant

I know, I just couldn't pass the chance to make everyone laugh a bit. :D

lottie
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, I must admit, I sniggered.. only slightly though ;)
Always the comedian Ace -you ever thought about doing stand-up?

acelockco
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, I must admit, I sniggered.. only slightly though ;)
Always the comedian Ace -you ever thought about doing stand-up?

I am always making jokes on the spot and busting chops, but reciting written jokes is not something I can do well. I will keep my regular job and continue to bust chops.

By the way, if I even made you smile a bit then I did my job.