PDA

View Full Version : Thresher sharks hunting sardines

klemens Gann
06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbifPrO25Y

The Publisher
06-25-2010, 01:56 AM
Halfway through you can clearly see a sideways tail swipe, something rarely caught on film.

I have been hearing a lot lately about sardines at Pescador Island in Moalboal and thresher sharks. I wish I were there.....

Awesome video....

acelockco
06-25-2010, 04:08 AM
Where do you keep coming up with this amazing footage?

The Publisher
06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Where do you keep coming up with this amazing footage?

Ace, If we were all hanging out together and you asked that question, Klemens and I would look at each other, then back at you, and say in unison; "The Philippines!"

klemens Gann
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
hi Ace,
this is all at Pescador island a small rock formation just 5 minutes away from shore. The sardines have been there since more than a year but the threshers we see regularly since 2 weeks hunting. I hear reports of 4 individuals, but personally only saw two together.

klemens Gann
06-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Ace, If we were all hanging out together and you asked that question, Klemens and I would look at each other, then back at you, and say in unison; "The Philippines!"

Dave,
thanks for the "short cut" answer.
Klemens

The Publisher
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/2824348.jpg

acelockco
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Maybe we need to meet up in the Philippines. We have to figure out a way to go there on "official business" so we can get an amazing deal and write off the rest.

acelockco
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
So where is the closest international airport?

klemens Gann
06-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Hi Ace,
it's Cebu. But for a species like the thresher shark or other pelagics you never know how long they stay around. Haven't seen any in the last two days, but it could be a cycle or maybe too many divers in the water. I keep you updated.
Regardless the sardines are amazing and Moalboal a nice place to dive in Malapascua Island you should threshers more or less promised.

acelockco
06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't care what I see, as I am sure it would be amazing. I just spoke with the wife a bit about a vacation. I think she is really interested in checking it out!

The Publisher
06-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Mactan is the name of the specific airport. Philippine Air seems to have the best and most frequent schedules. If you go overweight on your dive gear bags, they have a "sportmans package" for $150 where you get extra baggage.

I believe from Cebu it is about a 2-3 hour bus ride to Moalboal. Correct me on that Klemens if you can.

Ace, the thresher sharks are seen almost every day at Monad Shoals in Malapascua. But it is a fleeting type view. There are no sardines, so they just fleetingly come up from great depths in the hopes of being cleaned around 68 am.

I have had my fill of seeing thresher sharks on 5 out of 6 mornings there, so the spectacular sardine school photos and footage I am seeing along with spectacular thresher shark hunting footage like Klemens shot, oh, that all is REALLY sparking my interest!

On the eco-newswires we just recently learned that for the first time, scientists have finally observed and recorded video after years and years of trying. A month later, Klemens gets his own footage bit by spending years and years, but by being in the right dive destination, where once again, it is the Philippines.

Any one of the well known dive destinations in the Philippines is going to knock your socks off. Just let us know what you want to do and see and we'll all let you know where to go while steering you clear of cheesy places and places with no infrastructure unless that is your gig.

For all around everything, both awesome land nature things to see and awesome diving, Bohol in the Philippines can't be beat and it is easy to get to.

greenturtle
06-26-2010, 07:48 AM
For all around everything, both awesome land nature things to see and awesome diving, Bohol in the Philippines can't be beat and it is easy to get to.

I second that on Bohol!

Ace, you "Like" my video on the Bohol Dive trip (do you remember)? Can provide some recommendations on Dive centre if you were to go there. Just shoot me an email.

Haven't seen the Thresher shark though, but Malapascua seems to be the only place I know around this region that has that.

The Publisher
06-26-2010, 02:52 PM
There are lots of outfit along Alona Beach that can also arrange accommodations or have their own resort there.

I shot a production for Bohol Beach Club. There are a bit away from Alona Beach, so it is quite a bit quieter, and there are less divers there, but they are completely set up for divers.

Bohol Fun Divers can take care of you also, along with Felix at Sea Explorers.

If you can afford $700 a day, Eskaya is the most luxurious resort I have ever been to.

For the Moalboal side of Cebu, Klemens is the go-to guy for recommendations.

Thresher Shark Divers on Malapascua can take care of your diving and make accommodation arrangements.

acelockco
06-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the tons of information. I have started to do some research and plan on doing a lot more.

What I like to see when diving:

1. Sharks (not nurse sharks or reef sharks either)
2. Pelagics
3. Wrecks (not artificial reefs, real shipwrecks)

So with that in mind the research begins.....oh of course there are other considerations. Although I would prefer a liveaboard with a 100% dive itinerary, my wife says we need to spend at least 1/2 of the time checking out things on land exploring the country. We don't necessarily want or need "touristy places" and shopping and such, but would enjoy a nature tour, waterfalls, hikes, camping, late night fires on the beach, etc. I don't even know if the Philippines are the answer to my dream diving, but we will see.

And $700/ night.....get out of here......no seriously we are budget travelers. My wife has some amazing talent finding the most insane travel deals. Don't get me wrong, when we go on vacation we stay at nice places and do all of the great things we want to do, we just find deals. That being said, when we went to Italy last year we ended up camping one night and stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky Venice the next so we are down for just about anything.

acelockco
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Pub,

I checked out the places you listed and all looked cool, especially the pricey one, but I was thinking something more along the lines of nipa huts on the beach. TV is unnecessary...........CLEAN facilities are!

The Publisher
06-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I see a lot of small private rooms for rent...I am sure dive shops like Sea Explorers an refer you to some, or one drives to Alona Beach on Panglao island, Bohol, you see rooms for rent signs all over the place. I wlll guess you can get something in the $25 a night range.

I think Bohol Beach Club is competitively priced for a resort.